What's new

I really want to try the Gillette Rubie blade

I am not sure if this is mentioned anywhere on the forum but I've always wanted to try the Gillette Rubie blade. The other Gillette blades I have tried in no particular order are Nacet, 7 o'clock, Permasharp, King C Gillette (boo) and Gillette Silver Blue.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the Rubie over the other blades I have mentioned? I do admit I am drawn to the attractive packaging of the Rubies (that red 5 pointy star thing on the silver background) but obviously a book shouldn't be judged by it's cover.

Jason.

They are good blades. In comparison, I would rate them at $22/100. I wouldn't pay more. They are similar to the Gillette 7' O'Clock Black, which you can buy for $33/100 on Amazon and the Black's are better.

Your other blades are high quality blades and will give you similar performance to the Rubie's.

I might instead recommending trying the Treet King's. They are excellent smooth shaving blades like the Black's or the Rubie's.

They are typically $16/100 but Amazon has been selling them for $7.99. They were only allowing one display card of 100 at this price, but I returned a different day and have bought more.

Razorbladesclub actual site has them for $19.95 with free shipping and no sales tax, per 100, less than that and they do charge for shipping.

I enjoyed them, for me and my razors they felt like a more refined version of Astra Greens which felt a little prickly to me. They may be a tad sharper too but they were very smooth. Unfortunately not quite efficient enough for my beard and skin though. Nowhere near as sharp as a KCG and it's been awhile, but not quite as sharp as a GSB but way, way smoother. But then GSBs felt like steel wool on my face, so as always ymmv etc, etc.

Edit: you can also buy any number of blades from them down to a single and they have quite a selection. The last time I ordered a custom sampler (less than 100 blades) shipping was $2.99.

Last edited:
Top Bottom