What's new

I need some guidance.

I am considering a blind buy of Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, and Ladas blades from a seller on e-Bay (50 blades a lot). I haven't been able to try the blades, but have read that they are pretty accepted (acknowledging that MMMV). If I love the Gillette Bleue Extra blades and the Iridium Super blades, do you believe that any of these might be a waste? I have not had much luck with others, including Feathers, Astras, Personnas, and Nacets. I know I can dispose of them in the BST forum, but am more interested in finding a solid everyday blade so I can rotate my two "super blades" to a less used status.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Some like the Voskhod and its cousins, some don't. IMO, the blade is very good, but not great. What issues did you have with Feather, Astra, and Personna, which are excellent blades? Super Iridiums, while discontinued, can still be found (I buy them from Emilio here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/249464 ). You could also try Polsilver (brown box, Poland), Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks, Gillette Silver Blue (recently discontinued), and KAI, all of which I find equal to the original Super Iridiums, which you like. I have also recently began using Souplex blades, and I am liking them a lot.

Some like the Voskhod and its cousins, some don't. IMO, the blade is very good, but not great. What issues did you have with Feather, Astra, and Personna, which are excellent blades? Super Iridiums, while discontinued, can still be found (I buy them from Emilio here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/249464 ). You could also try Polsilver (brown box, Poland), Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks, Gillette Silver Blue (recently discontinued), and KAI, all of which I find equal to the original Super Iridiums, which you like. I have also recently began using Souplex blades, and I am liking them a lot.

+1. KAI's are amazing blades. As sharp as Feathers but a tad smoother and die with grace. They're just too darn expensive. Ladas are pretty nice and underrated blades as well. Give it a shot. Otherwise, they're easy to unload if needed.

Try Perma-Sharp Super, Timor/Bolzano/Souplex, Some Lord blades, Sharks, Polsilver Super Iridium, Super Max Super Platinum, and one of the 7 oclock's to be sure you covered the major brands.

Thank you for the information. I had lots of irritation with the Astras, Personnas, and to a lesser extent the Nacets. The Feathers caused a lot of cuts, but admittedly I had bad technique when I used them. (or at least worse form than I do now)

I've tried most (but not all) of the rest listed, and had centered on the Ladas, Rapira, and Vokshod as the most likely candidates.

Last edited:
You also might want to try a milder razor, although 34c is not very aggressive. Maybe try an adjustable on a low setting, or EJ DE89 which is a bit milder, or Gillette Tech.

p.s Of course this also may be because of your lathering or what you put on your face after the shave, but that's another issue.

I had not thought of a different razor rather than a go to blade. Do you have any suggestions for an adjustable razor (definitely not something I have done any research on)?

You also might want to try a milder razor, although 34c is not very aggressive. Maybe try an adjustable on a low setting, or EJ DE89 which is a bit milder, or Gillette Tech.

I had lots of irritation with the Astras, Personnas, and to a lesser extent the Nacets.

Another thing that might eliminate the irritation is adding glycerine to whatever soap/cream you're using. I found it makes for a much slicker, irritation-free shave (and then discovered I missed the sound and even the scrape-y feel of a less slick shave).

Though selling unwanted blades may not be a problem, can't you buy smaller numbers of each? Seems like a decent amount of cash to lay out sight unseen. Then again, I'm "frugal."

Hope you find the blades that work best for you. Enjoy your shaves.

I've been messing around with various creams and soaps making my own superlathers, but have not tried glycerine yet, thank you for the suggestion. Do you have any recommendations? My favorite creams/soft soaps are Razorock, P160, Nancyboy, and Castle Forbes lime. I've been using Santa Maria Novella and Mitchell's Wool Fat for my latest superlather mixture. I have a pretty good prep routine (I think) with a warm shower, face wash, Sandalor, and then shave in the shower.

Another thing that might eliminate the irritation is adding glycerine to whatever soap/cream you're using. I found it makes for a much slicker, irritation-free shave (and then discovered I missed the sound and even the scrape-y feel of a less slick shave).

I was having a difficult time finding vendors with the blades in stock from the usual B&B vendors. I did find one guy on e-Bay who had the blades, but would only sell in lots of 50 on private auctions/sales (not sure of why the private auctions). If I could buy smaller lots, I would definitely go that route.

Though selling unwanted blades may not be a problem, can't you buy smaller numbers of each? Seems like a decent amount of cash to lay out sight unseen. Then again, I'm "frugal."

Hope you find the blades that work best for you. Enjoy your shaves.

I've been messing around with various creams and soaps making my own superlathers, but have not tried glycerine yet, thank you for the suggestion. Do you have any recommendations? My favorite creams/soft soaps are Razorock, P160, Nancyboy, and Castle Forbes lime. I've been using Santa Maria Novella and Mitchell's Wool Fat for my latest superlather mixture. I have a pretty good prep routine (I think) with a warm shower, face wash, Sandalor, and then shave in the shower.

You may very well be doing all your prep just fine. I've been using a brush-and-soap/cream for 30 years, but DE shaving for just 8 months. I just bought Glycerin (not "Glycerine" like I mistakenly spelled it before) in my local drugstore's brand name. (If the State of Confusion is in the U.S. Northwest, you can buy Bartell's "Premier Value" -- but I think it's probably the same no matter who makes it.) I've tried it with ProRaso and TOBS sandalwood soaps and Speick cream -- acts the same with all of them. It only cost $5 for 6 ounces.

Thanks so much, this is great info. Unfortunately, I am not in the NW, we've been trying to get back there for some time. The State of Confusion is in my head, but my behind is stuck in the Rockies right now. I'll stop by Walgreens and see what they have. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

You may very well be doing all your prep just fine. I've been using a brush-and-soap/cream for 30 years, but DE shaving for just 8 months. I just bought Glycerin (not "Glycerine" like I mistakenly spelled it before) in my local drugstore's brand name. (If the State of Confusion is in the U.S. Northwest, you can buy Bartell's "Premier Value" -- but I think it's probably the same no matter who makes it.) I've tried it with ProRaso and TOBS sandalwood soaps and Speick cream -- acts the same with all of them. It only cost $5 for 6 ounces.

Thanks so much, this is great info. Unfortunately, I am not in the NW, we've been trying to get back there for some time. The State of Confusion is in my head, but my behind is stuck in the Rockies right now. I'll stop by Walgreens and see what they have. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

At walgreens, Van Der Haagen has a glycerin soap puck. It's good stuff, and cheap.
-- Chet

Top Bottom