What's new

i need cleaning assistance

I think you're right. I did a vinegar bath which cleared away most of the crusty stuff. It's now looking more like tarnished silver. I was able to make out the serial # on the barrel now too. 138727. If the date charts are correct, does that put this as the first year of production for the single ring? The $9.95 price tag on this is definitely worth it if just for conversation value.
If you can get the crud off and just get back to tarnished silver, stop there. Keep as much patina as you can, since it took many years to develop.

Have you tried the baking soda/ton foil trick?

proxy.php

That serial number would put your razor in 1905, the second year of Single Ring production, assuming that it was American-made. English Gillettes have their own peculiar numbers and are harder to date.

Somewhere in the Safety Razor forum there is a thread with a registry of Single Rings listed by serial number. Once you get all the details figured out, you should get your razor added to the database.

$uploadfromtaptalk1444454860249.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1444454885511.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1444454860249.jpg This is what my single ring looked like after cleanup and blue magic. I originally thought it was seriously brassed out. Turns out Gillette actually did a relatively hardy silver plate.

Oh, and it's a really nice shaver - but really aggressive (at least to me). I usually use it when I have a few days growth to deal with. Which isn't very often these days sigh...

But, I love the razor and it has a place of pride on my multiple razor stand.

That serial number would put your razor in 1905, the second year of Single Ring production, assuming that it was American-made. English Gillettes have their own peculiar numbers and are harder to date.

Somewhere in the Safety Razor forum there is a thread with a registry of Single Rings listed by serial number. Once you get all the details figured out, you should get your razor added to the database.
Is there a way to tell the difference between US and English?

Is there a way to tell the difference between US and English?

On my (English) Single Ring, there is a Serial Number that starts with a letter instead of just numbers. Also, on the bottom part of the handle, there is a faint "Br. Pat. No. 2673802." The Gillette diamond logo Trade Mark and "KNOWN THE WORLD OVER" is faintly stamped on the inside of the bottom plate, not visible from the outside.

Yours may be different. If you look through the registry, you'll see there was a wide variation of placing the identification marks back in the early years, and you can find serial numbers and patent numbers and the Diamond Logo all over the place.

On my (English) Single Ring, there is a Serial Number that starts with a letter instead of just numbers. Also, on the bottom part of the handle, there is a faint "Br. Pat. No. 2673802." The Gillette diamond logo Trade Mark and "KNOWN THE WORLD OVER" is faintly stamped on the inside of the bottom plate, not visible from the outside.

Yours may be different. If you look through the registry, you'll see there was a wide variation of placing the identification marks back in the early years, and you can find serial numbers and patent numbers and the Diamond Logo all over the place.

my serial no. is numbers only. There is a patent from Nov. of '04. and I haven't been able to make out any gillette stamp anywhere.

Top Bottom