What's new

EJ DE89 Cleaning Question

I have a EJ DE89 razor that I have used for probably a good ten years. I know there are tons of videos and threads on razor cleaning but think my problem is a little bit different. For awhile now I have gotten the impression that I might not be getting the head snugged down appropriately. I think the problem may be what I believe is calcium build-up on the threads; I am meeting some resistance when I am closed to getting it completely snug. Cleaning the razor by soaking it in Dawn dish soap, then using an old toothbrush, drying and buffing it is my usual routine, but tht doesn't seem to be getting the deposit of whatever it is out of the threads. I have taken to using a brass brush on the threads but I still have a white buildup in the groves. I don't have a tap-and-die set to use on it; I mostly just power the thing closed closed trying to clean the threads just with the screws in the head. Last time I cleaned it I used Scrubbing Bubbles, but that didn't seem to help. Would very much appreciate some suggestions. Last resort, of course, would be to just buy a new razor, but I am cheap!

The threads on my DE89. Pretty close to the age of yours.

You could try some vinegar if you suspect lime build up. Just protect the surrounding finish. 20220927_191344.jpg

Vinegar will do it but @timetofly is absolutely right, you'd be wise to protect the finish. When I rinse my razors, which I do after each use, I disassemble the three piece ones and dry the parts with a microfiber towel. I pay attention to drying the threads as we have pretty hard water here. It's also why I wipe out the sink - hard water buildup. I learned the latter the hard way.

Last edited:
The threads on my DE89. Pretty close to the age of yours.

You could try some vinegar if you suspect lime build up. Just protect the surrounding finish.View attachment 1529761
That is pretty much how mine looks, although I think the build-up on mine is whiter in color. If I hold the piece so that the threads are downward and dab vinegar on with a cotton swab, do you think that should give me the right amount of protection?

I admire your devotion to the EJ DE89, but I suggest that you treat yourself to a new razor or maybe two or three. You've earned it.
Having a EJ DE89 myself, I concur. It's not that I didn't finally learn how to use it better than I had (thanks to @alumladd) after 10-11 years of owning it but there a cheapness to it that bugs me. I think it's knowing the head is Zamak and the is chrome plated. I prefer vintage Gillettes and my Feather AS-D2. That said, it's a fine razor at its price point but I had an angle issue with it which I didn't, for some reason, than my other razors.

That is pretty much how mine looks, although I think the build-up on mine is whiter in color. If I hold the piece so that the threads are downward and dab vinegar on with a cotton swab, do you think that should give me the right amount of protection?
I would guess that the chrome plating has worn through to the Zamac (quite common, so attempting to clean it will just make the corrosion worse)... next step is where the cap bolt snaps off (inside the handle) when you unscrew it.

(IMO) just get a new one before you find yourself razorless.

Having a EJ DE89 myself, I concur. It's not that I didn't finally learn how to use it better than I had (thanks to @alumladd) after 10-11 years of owning it but there a cheapness to it that bugs me. I think it's knowing the head is Zamak and the is chrome plated. I prefer vintage Gillettes and my Feather AS-D2. That said, it's a fine razor at its price point but I had an angle issue with it which I didn't, for some reason, than my other razors.
I have a older Super Speed and an older Red Tip as well as an adjustable Gillette (forgot which one) but just like the heft of the DE89. A stainless would be nice, but I am afraid it would take me buying several expensive stainless razors before I found one that really felt good to me. I am just to cheap - oops! Someone said to say "frugal"!

I would guess that the chrome plating has worn through to the Zamac (quite common, so attempting to clean it will just make the corrosion worse)... next step is where the cap bolt snaps off (inside the handle) when you unscrew it.

(IMO) just get a new one before you find yourself razorless.
This is my thought as well. The cap is probably nearing end of life. It probably needs to be replaced.

I have a older Super Speed and an older Red Tip as well as an adjustable Gillette (forgot which one) but just like the heft of the DE89. A stainless would be nice, but I am afraid it would take me buying several expensive stainless razors before I found one that really felt good to me. I am just to cheap - oops! Someone said to say "frugal"!
You know, John, that is one of the nice things about the EJ IMO. It's got a nice weight and balance to it. It's interesting bouncing between razors, most of which are vintage Gillettes. I've got a couple old open combs, Techs, 195 and Slim as well as a few TTOs. Shaving with each one is different than any of the others. Sounds like you really have a more than adequate selection. May I ask what sort of brass brush you've used to try and clean the calcium buildup from the threads? I haven't tried this but I wonder if a tiny drop of mineral oil on the threads and a few on and off rotations of the cap to the handle would improve things. At the worst, a new DE89 is only what, $35-40 and good for another 10 years?

Stew and MountainBear both make good points. I've reached out to EJ regarding getting just a handle and they informed me they don't sell parts. I seem to recall they got their heads from Muhle back when I bought mine.

I had a similar problem with an EJ DE89, except in my case the threads corroded to the point that the post broke in two. I wrote to Edwin Jagger and they sent me a new top cap. Unfortunately after 7 years or so, that one also corroded. Since you like the razor, I would try writing to Edwin Jagger; send them a photo and tell them that the threads no longer engage properly. If they don't send a replacement, go for a Muhle cap with the brass post.

...Would very much appreciate some suggestions...
The English Shaving Company has EJ DE top plate for £6.25. Not bad for another 10 years of flawless shaves. Once I gave up searching for a stainless equivalent and resigned to the idea that I will ever find one, I bought several heads and top plates. I sleep better now.

Oh, forgot to mention that my ten-year-old DE89 has intact threads. I am ashamed that there was a time when I bad-mouthed Zamak.

Pulled my DE89 top plate our of the vinegar an hour or two ago. Looks much better. Didn't have an unused pill bottle but found a pop bottle cap worked better perhaps; needed less vinegar to cover the post. And I am reminded that some years ago I did get a new top plate from EJ. Original one was losing the chrome plating on the edges. In fact, I got two because the first one they sent had a completely different face feel; out of specs, I suspect.

Top Bottom