What's new

I just found a near mint Otto Deutsch HANS 9/16 in my nightstand!

Well I just jumped into the world of wet shaving less than 5 days ago, joined the B&B and ordered a slew of new things...razor, soap, brush, stand, blades, aftershave, etc. I've been reading and learning things about shaving that I had no knowledge or understanding of and I'm finding it all fascinating!

Yesterday, I decided to clean out my nightstand and found a beautiful, near mint Otto Deutsch HANS 9/16 straight razor! It's even in the original box, which is in fairly decent condition. Honestly, I have no idea where it came from - what a weird coincidence! I've never used (and don't plan to use) a straight razor...switching from shaving for 30 years with a Guillette Sensor 2 to a new DE Merkur 25C will be a big enough change for me!!

$Deutsch.jpg$Signature close-up.jpg$Box.jpg$Full blade.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
once you have 50 posts you could also sell it on the B/S/T here, but you should have a firmer idea of what you want for it if you list it here.

you're not likely to get a solid assessment of value here, because it's frowned upon, if not outright forbidden by site rules.

but it's nice, and what you will get here is, "hone it and use it!". my advice is to keep it and perhaps down the road you may want to take it for a spin. if in a year or so you feel the same, unload it then.

I've heard they were junk. Careful you might cut yourself. :scared: Send it to me for proper disposal. :wink2:

In before Doc, lol

To the OP, we won't generally provide appraisal valuation here for what a razor is worth. I will say, those make great razors. Unless you need the money, you may want to save it in case you ever decide to try straight shaving as many do have the itch at one point or another.

My nightstand has room for that one. Please don't hesitate to pm me for my address. Happy to help out. You're welcome.

These gentleman are correct. It is against our Terms of Usage to ask for appraisals which then will be used to sell the razor.
You can do your research on the razor's value elsewhere.
I will leave your post here in case someone has information on the razor that might be useful to you.

My advice would be to keep it as there is always a good chance that down the road you will move into straights as a lot of us have. I too started with DEs and didn't think I would start using a straight ever. I'm really glad I changed my mind and it is my preferred method of shaving now.

I've heard they were junk. Careful you might cut yourself. :scared: Send it to me for proper disposal. :wink2:

Agreed, but I am the official disposer of razors

That is a nice razor,

I would say hone her and give it a try, I can do it if you like for the price of return shipping

Thanks guys and sorry...I clearly missed the "no appraisal" rule! Newbie. :crying:

So many great comments so quickly. I just thought selling it would be a nice way to "justify" the cost of all my new hobby supplies!

As I'm not in any financial pinch, I'll take your advice and put it back in my nightstand for a while. Maybe you're right...I may get an itch to try something completely different. Honestly, I'm a bit nervous about cutting myself due to the blood thinners I'm on...I tend to bleed like a stuck pig with the smallest cuts these days (so I also ordered some "My Nick Is Sealed"...just in case!)

I appreciate your guidance (and funny comments!)

If it's going to be out away for a while, put a thin layer of oil on the blade and a drop into the pivot before you put it away

Seriously guys, no one is asking how such a nice razor just appears in a nightstand? I've had many nightstands in my life and not a single one has ever produced, on its own, a straight razor.

Groucho,

Take everyone's advice and keep the straight razor, but please, please, please send me that magical nightstand of yours.

oake

That was hillarious, Oake...I laughed out loud!!

I may have a peek in my nightstand tonight...who knows what I'll find next! :001_tt2:

Also, I'm sending the razor to Doc tomorrow to take advantage of his generous offer of sharpening it. Plus will take Chaloney's advice and keep it oiled. Any suggestion on "type" of oil to use? WD-40, light machine oil, etc?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
8723 posts ago ( my first on B&B ) in December of 2006 I approached this forum and asked a similar question about value. SEVERAL thousands of dollars later...... I'm just warning you.... It's a slippery slope.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The mod job has more perks than Elvis's nightstand.

Sorry, that's my only nightstand joke.

Careful you might find something that vibrates in your magical night stand.....

Like a Mach 3 Power

That was hillarious, Oake...I laughed out loud!!

I may have a peek in my nightstand tonight...who knows what I'll find next! :001_tt2:

Also, I'm sending the razor to Doc tomorrow to take advantage of his generous offer of sharpening it. Plus will take Chaloney's advice and keep it oiled. Any suggestion on "type" of oil to use? WD-40, light machine oil, etc?

Top Bottom