What's new

I give up on Injectors

I tried....I really tried to get into these cool little razors! But I don't know what the deal is. Maybe my technique, but it seems the blade is thicker, and much harsher on my face. Especially in the neck area, which it turns to hamburger every time, even on the first pass!

At first I tried an expensive PAL adjustable...ouch! Trading it for a Futur was a wise decision to me.

Then it was the NWC fixed head...double ouch with scabs!

Finally, I got the touted original Schick bakelite handled models....still a very rough shave, and I can't blame this on the razor itself this time. The razors were great and in excellent condition (Thanks Kujo, perfect Christmas gift for my brother, and now someone else too!).

No problems whatsoever with a DE though, and it gives me the best shaves of my life. To each their own I guess. Am I the only one who isn't a fan of the Schick Injector?

I doubt you're the only one who doesn't like them. I get decent shaves with my NWC fixed injector. I find it rather easy to shave with. Typically, I'll reach for it if I'm in a hurry, or looking for a change of pace.

But you are right, the blade is thicker and just might not be good on your skin type.

It's kind of weird, but the Injector gives me such a close and effortless shave that I almost find it boring to use. I'm so obsessed with finding DE Nirvana that I'll go weeks in between Injector uses. I was so enamored for a while that I sent an Injector bakelite to a friend of mine. He sent it back after giving himself a nasty gash. :a16:

To each his own, huh?

javyn - you haven't really tried what IMHO are the better injectors - I have the bakelite and its a little on the aggressive side (also its lighter so I tend to use a little more pressure). I really like the hydromagic series, or the later models with the heavier heads and longer handles. My favourite is the Schick adjustable, but those can be hard to find and are more expensive. The lady injectors are a good buy and are good shaves. The NWC razors have never given me decent shaves.

I tried....I really tried to get into these cool little razors! But I don't know what the deal is. Maybe my technique, but it seems the blade is thicker, and much harsher on my face. Especially in the neck area, which it turns to hamburger every time, even on the first pass!

At first I tried an expensive PAL adjustable...ouch! Trading it for a Futur was a wise decision to me.

Then it was the NWC fixed head...double ouch with scabs!

Finally, I got the touted original Schick bakelite handled models....still a very rough shave, and I can't blame this on the razor itself this time. The razors were great and in excellent condition (Thanks Kujo, perfect Christmas gift for my brother, and now someone else too!).

No problems whatsoever with a DE though, and it gives me the best shaves of my life. To each their own I guess. Am I the only one who isn't a fan of the Schick Injector?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The injectors I have don't shave nearly as close as a DE, but I get decent, consistent shaves with them in a flash.

What blades were you using? I find the Schick blades to be a lot better than the Personnas.

I got some Schick blades that I've been using. I think the blade is just too thick on them to work well for me actually. I guess my skin is pretty sensitive, and I need to go back to my old standby, the DE :smile:

I don't know though, my brother has skin like mine, and he is loving his Bakelite. He only does one pass, and he cut even himself badly with the NWC, but now refuses to go back to the M3. I just must be strange heheh

John have you tried one of the newer Schick injectors, the ones with the black handles? I've tried a few of the bakelite ones but did not get as good as a shave as with one of the newer models. Haven't tried the NWC and from what I've read, I won't.

I got some Schick blades that I've been using. I think the blade is just too thick on them to work well for me actually. I guess my skin is pretty sensitive, and I need to go back to my old standby, the DE :smile:

I don't know though, my brother has skin like mine, and he is loving his Bakelite. He only does one pass, and he cut even himself badly with the NWC, but now refuses to go back to the M3. I just must be strange heheh

John:

Have you tried any other blades, like perhaps cut-down Feathers? You might have better luck with them.

I was so scared to try Feathers that I started with the Feather "Pro Guard" blades, thinking there'd be some measure of protection from an accidental gash. So far, my guess has been right. My shaves with this breed of Featherjector have been so close and comfortable that I see no need to try another blade. Others have remarked that they don't like the "scritchy" feeling the guards on the blade give their skin, but I hardly notice it. And like you, I have sensitive skin.

This morning it was my third shave with my new injector (an L model 1965/1980 bough on ebay) and I must say that the shave was so perfect! (except on saturday : had a bad cut on my lips as I was talking to wy wife while shaving :behead: )
I think injector gives a very quick and close shave and It's a wonderful thing during the week just before going to work.
I love DE too (I've got a 1949 Super Speed, a classic Merkur DE and a black European Wilkinson Sword) but I think you can't really compare this 2 types of razor. Each of them are used for different purposes.
In my case, both injector and DE are made for me :cool: (should I say for my skin!)

if you're getting great shaves with a DE then why the need for a change in razor? stick with the DE if it works for you.

At the moment, I've got a G. Super Speed (1949), a Merkur DE classic, a type L Injector, a classic DE Wilkinson and I'm waiting for a bakelite injector bought on ebay.
But before entering the wonderful world of DE and injector (and BandB of course:wink:) , I use to have (and still have but I don't use it anymore) a Mach3, a Mach3 power, a Mach3 from Edwin Jagger (faux ivory-a present from my wife), a gillette contour +, a gillette sensor.

I got the injector to have a little bit of variety, but I just don't think they are for me. Doubtful that a newer, black handled one is going to be much different. I'm happy with my DE :)

I got the injector to have a little bit of variety, but I just don't think they are for me. Doubtful that a newer, black handled one is going to be much different. I'm happy with my DE :)

I used the same blade and shaved with the little short bakelite model and got a terrible shave. Put the blade in a long handle
Model L type and got a great shave.

Glen

yes you're right the l injector gives great shave! Still waiting for the bakelite one (bought one on ebay from florida to be precise)

I doubt you're the only one who doesn't like them. I get decent shaves with my NWC fixed injector. I find it rather easy to shave with. Typically, I'll reach for it if I'm in a hurry, or looking for a change of pace.

But you are right, the blade is thicker and just might not be good on your skin type.

I get decent shaves with my NWC fixed injector.

Joe,

2 quick questions: What does NWC stand for? and if using an NWC only gives you a "decent" shave, why not use a cartridge razor? I got the impression that you were not so impressed with the quality of the shave from using the NWC...Just curious.

Top Bottom