What's new

I just can’t help myself

We need more data on these 700 razors. How about a top 5 breakdown of your favorites. Overall, SB, OC, TTO, Injector, etc. Very few people will have your knowledge base on razors.

Not a problem at all!

I’d love to see more info on that too. :c1:
Link to part of my early obsession: The Razor Motherload! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-razor-motherload.524592/

It must be said that the path of choosing a favorite razor or razors is a very subjective one. We all have our preferences and how we arrive at them is unique to each person (beard, skin etc.), thus you have the phrase “your mileage may vary (YMMV).”

Secondarily, I do not consider myself an expert. There are gentlemen on B&B with a greater depth and breadth of knowledge and experience than I possess. A large volume of razors does not always equate to extensive knowledge and experience.

With that as a foundation…here is where my path/experience led me.

Top five razors :
1. Post-war Gillette Ball End Tech
I love the weight and the simplicity of this razor that consistently provide a close comfortable shave.

2. NDC Super Speed/Milord
Again, I like the simplicity of these TTO’s and the comfortable shave that seems effortless.

3. ‘46-‘48 Aristocrat
I appreciate the workmanship and the added elegance of this razor and the shave it provides.

4. 1920’s New Deluxe or the New Standard.
Weight, Art Deco design and overall feel. For me and my beard/skin, these two razors require a bit more attention to avoid irritation. However, they can produce an amazingly smooth shave.

5. Gillette President or Diplomat
Hard to decide but the look and feel of the President is wonderful and I could almost shave blindfolded.

I know these are all vintage razors…yes I like old things. I prefer a more mild razor because it suits my face. I have tried a fair number of modern razors (Merkur, Karve, Charcoal, Fatip, Rockwell, Timeless) and a number of others. They all provided a good shave, but I am drawn back to the vintage look and feel.

I tried many SE razors, a couple modern and a lot of vintage and never found a comfortable groove with them. Many people find them to be very comfortable and efficient.

Straights…now that is an adventure that requires dedication to achieve proficiency. I enjoyed it, but at the end I couldn’t keep up with the commitment needed for edge maintenance. However, I loved the nostalgia of the gear and the patience required for the shave.

Link to part of my early obsession: The Razor Motherload! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-razor-motherload.524592/

It must be said that the path of choosing a favorite razor or razors is a very subjective one. We all have our preferences and how we arrive at them is unique to each person (beard, skin etc.), thus you have the phrase “your mileage may vary (YMMV).”

Secondarily, I do not consider myself an expert. There are gentlemen on B&B with a greater depth and breadth of knowledge and experience than I possess. A large volume of razors does not always equate to extensive knowledge and experience.

With that as a foundation…here is where my path/experience led me.

Top five razors :
1. Post-war Gillette Ball End Tech
I love the weight and the simplicity of this razor that consistently provide a close comfortable shave.

2. NDC Super Speed/Milord
Again, I like the simplicity of these TTO’s and the comfortable shave that seems effortless.

3. ‘46-‘48 Aristocrat
I appreciate the workmanship and the added elegance of this razor and the shave it provides.

4. 1920’s New Deluxe or the New Standard.
Weight, Art Deco design and overall feel. For me and my beard/skin, these two razors require a bit more attention to avoid irritation. However, they can produce an amazingly smooth shave.

5. Gillette President or Diplomat
Hard to decide but the look and feel of the President is wonderful and I could almost shave blindfolded.

I know these are all vintage razors…yes I like old things. I prefer a more mild razor because it suits my face. I have tried a fair number of modern razors (Merkur, Karve, Charcoal, Fatip, Rockwell, Timeless) and a number of others. They all provided a good shave, but I am drawn back to the vintage look and feel.

I tried many SE razors, a couple modern and a lot of vintage and never found a comfortable groove with them. Many people find them to be very comfortable and efficient.

Straights…now that is an adventure that requires dedication to achieve proficiency. I enjoyed it, but at the end I couldn’t keep up with the commitment needed for edge maintenance. However, I loved the nostalgia of the gear and the patience required for the shave.
Cool info! Thanks!

Top Bottom