What's new

I found two different Oster 76 classic clippers

Hello.

I'm a long-time lurker of the forums, and a first-time poster. I finally decided to join the club.

I'm planning to purchase the Oster 76 classic clipper. And I have found two different variants of it. The only information that I have about them are the ones printed on their base-plate. One has a 35W motor and the other has 45W. I have not been able to find any information online about the motor. Logic would dictate that the 45W would be more powerful the the 35W but I'm not sure. Between these two, I would like to get the oldest (i.e durable) but also the more powerful variant.

I was wondering if you kind gentlemen could help me ID these two, and possibly share more information on the subject. I have left photos in this post.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 45.png
    45.png
    724.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 11
I've done some digging on my own.

There are two "Oster" logos. The original is the cursive bold typeface. At the beginning of the 1990, the logo changed to a bold italic serif. with the "O" starred. The latter being in use today.

The original Oster 76 had a metal power screw, whereas the newer had a plastic one.

And the motor - of which i know nothing - 115v 35w original, and 120v 45w newer.

And as a side question, does anyone remembers what were the original guards for this?

Thanks.

I've done some digging on my own.

There are two "Oster" logos. The original is the cursive bold typeface. At the beginning of the 1990, the logo changed to a bold italic serif. with the "O" starred. The latter being in use today.

The original Oster 76 had a metal power screw, whereas the newer had a plastic one.

And the motor - of which i know nothing - 115v 35w original, and 120v 45w newer.

And as a side question, does anyone remembers what were the original guards for this?

Thanks.
No gaurds. It is a fixed blade system. You have numbers ranging from 00000 to I believe to 3 3/4 with other specialty blades. Like flattop/skiptooth, etc. Here is a chart. Andis makes compatible blades with the Oster 76 system as well. You can however on the cheap get plastic gaurds of different combs, lengths and number sizes to put over a 0A blade I believe. Make sure your blades are always 1/32" gapped evenly with teeth from comb and oiled with mineral oil, WD 40 or Balistol. Gapping is also known as zero gapped. Oster when maintained properly will run forever with the right maintence, knowhow and service parts. There are many many older different variants of them too of the Model 76 and 10 platforms. Progenic (1950s) Old model 10 new model 10, PowerLine (Still a 76 with a taller fiber gear.) Titan, Turbo 111, 97 (UK) A2, A5, A7, and a few others I can't think of. Some also have one speed switch or two speeds, differnt wattage, etc. Just make sure to get the human blades and not the animal ones. Lol.

Most parts are interchanging but check to be sure. I would recommend you try to score a used one second hand or off ebay as new they can go from $140 and up higher for cordless and custom body housings. I scored a PowerLine 76 from the 1990s for $50 on ebay. It had a blade rattle issue where the blades wouldn't cut or move but the whole blade assembly would. So I researched and got replacement parts kit for $15 to $20 . The wearable small parts items you typically want to keep on hand if your performance gets sloppy and loose is. The fiber gear, fiber tongue, fiber linkage (It's a rotating link bearing) and the metal piece you attach the blade to (I forget what it's called.) And just make sure the adjustment is tight. If you want if your used faceplate is dinged up. Replace that too. Oh and spare magnetic brushes for the electric armature motor. Those can be serviced through the two plastic cap screws on the side of the plastic body housing. Those are not power screws. The power is not adjustable on the Osters unlesd you change out the entire armature. Those are spring loaded caps for the electric magnetic brushes. Just drop in the correct way, spring load and twist. There is also a very very tiny bearing that is depressable for oiling the electric armature motor and bearings. Depress it while running and put a few drops of mineral oil or WD 40 in it say every 10 to 20 uses. These things will run forever if maintained properly.

Oh and most importantly. ALWAYS REMOVE AND CHANGE YOUR BLADES WHILE THE MOTOR IS RUNNING! (Don't worry you won't get cut.) If you attempt to change your blade while the motor is off. You risk ever slightly marring the fiber tongue that reciprocates back and forth that makes the detachable blade move when attached and that marring of the tongue will eventually cause the blade rattle I spoke of earlier. There are plenty of Oster YouTube videos on how to service and plenty of distributors online that offer the parts kit or individual parts or you can buy direct. They're cheap. The fiber gear is the most expensive. Like $13. Most parts are under $3. I think most 76 variants except my PowerLine model uses a 17 tooth fiber gear and the rest use a 15 tooth. Model 111 and 10 might be different. One last thing. The fixed blade system is very precise in cutting. So if you are doing fades you are going to have to learn how to feather out and blur the lines by angling out in your technique by buffing those lines from number to number. That's why a lot of barbers and stylist use clippers with a taper button with the options of making micro adjustments and flicking out those lines from closed to 1/4 open to 1/2 open to 3/4 open and Full open. Some use the Osters for primarily removing bulk hair then cleaning up with a different clipper. The ones who can do fades on a fixed blade system are worth their salt. Oster blades are great for debulking thick gnarly hair. You can sheer a dog or a sheep with ease. 😆

The blades you can get on ebay for average of $20 and gets pricier once you get above a #3 blade. (More steel.) I'm just an amateur who cuts his and his own families hair at home but have been doing it well for almost 30 years. I love vintage barber stuff and watching barber videos too. Have a nice vintage straight razor collection going now too. I did 50 restos this year.

Hope this helps. Any questions give shoot me a message. Just gave myself a haircut and a neck shave tonight with them.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Top Bottom