What's new

Advice on Shaver for Balding

Hi there

I am looking for the most effective solutionto shave my head. My objective is to find the most practical and effective tool to get the closest shave possible. This is for personal use only. Currently I am shaving 2X a week, and have been reluctant to do it more frequently given the time it takes.

I am currently using a Wahl Balding 5 Star Clipper. I do not have huge issues with it, but the shaves are not as close as I would like them to, and shaving takes a little longer than I'd like to.

I browsed the threads here, and based on them I found 3 potential solutions:

1. Oster 76 + Andis ceramic 00000 blade. This looks like a solid winner across the board. I am not sure that it would cut closer than the Wahl, but I am concerned that it would not take less time than the Wahl, as it's essentially the same type of tool.

2. A rotary razon, such as the Pitbull Platinum PRO Head and Face Shaver. This looks like a very practical solution, and one that would likely allow me to spend less time shaving, or doing it more frequently. However I am not sure of how close it shaves, or how powerful it is vs. corded solutions. Also, I am not sure about skin irritation.

3. A foil shaver, such as the Braun Series 9 PRO 9419s or BaBylissPRO FOILFX02 or Andis ProFoil® Lithium Titanium Foil Shaver. I think these would get the job done in terms of shaving close, but am not sure about how long it would take and their power.

Given this might be a lifetime investment, I am not that concerned with the price--within limits. I am mostly interested in getting it right.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello there!

If your looking for the easiest way to shave your head, as well as provide a close shave, a foil shaver is the way to go. I have a Panasonic Arc5 foil shaver, and I can speak from experience, this thing can give you a BBS shave.

proxy.php

This tool works surprisingly well
for being consumer grade!

Another option you have available to you, is to get yourself a detailer, they are designed to cut closer to the skin then a clipper. Clippers are a bulk removal tool. Detailers AKA trimmers, are meant for actual detail work. But you got to be careful with them, they can nick you if you arn't careful. And if you 0-GAP a detailer, it has a very high chance of nicking you if you arn't careful. I have the Wahl Burgundy detailers.

proxy.php

This tool is affordable in corded fashion, you can get
them cordless, but they cost considerably more.

Some folks like to shave their heads with an DE razor. I will say that the many who do, like to use an double open comb razor. This is because double open comb razors keep some lather on your skin to make a few more passes, before you have to re-lather. They tend to be very smooth shavers, and depending on what model you get, is the efficiency you can get. I myself have the PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable in Rose Gold, and I love it!
IMG_4303.JPG

My Yaqi Mellon Head on the left. PAA Copper Ascension on the right.

I think your good with the trimmer you have but you’ll need to shave to get that close as you would like feeling. My recommendation for a great head shaving razor is the Highproof. It pivots, it uses half a double edge blade, and you’ll get the closeness that an electric could never deliver.

Look at HeadBlade on that shopping site named after the river. I used their stuff many years ago when they first came out and really liked it. Considering getting a new razor and software from them.

Hello there!

If your looking for the easiest way to shave your head, as well as provide a close shave, a foil shaver is the way to go. I have a Panasonic Arc5 foil shaver, and I can speak from experience, this thing can give you a BBS shave.

proxy.php

This tool works surprisingly well
for being consumer grade!

Another option you have available to you, is to get yourself a detailer, they are designed to cut closer to the skin then a clipper. Clippers are a bulk removal tool. Detailers AKA trimmers, are meant for actual detail work. But you got to be careful with them, they can nick you if you arn't careful. And if you 0-GAP a detailer, it has a very high chance of nicking you if you arn't careful. I have the Wahl Burgundy detailers.

proxy.php

This tool is affordable in corded fashion, you can get
them cordless, but they cost considerably more.

Some folks like to shave their heads with an DE razor. I will say that the many who do, like to use an double open comb razor. This is because double open comb razors keep some lather on your skin to make a few more passes, before you have to re-lather. They tend to be very smooth shavers, and depending on what model you get, is the efficiency you can get. I myself have the PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable in Rose Gold, and I love it!
View attachment 1722670
My Yaqi Mellon Head on the left. PAA Copper Ascension on the right.
Thanks a ton for the tips. The Arc5 does look interesting.

Thanks for all the tips so far. It looks like I might not be that better off with any of the options I was thinking about! Definitely something to chew on.

I use the Braun S9 Sport on my head and I get very close to a bbs smooth shave. I also use the Gillette mach 3 when I'm not in a hurry and want a bbs shave.

I use the Braun S9 Sport on my head and I get very close to a bbs smooth shave. I also use the Gillette mach 3 when I'm not in a hurry and want a bbs shave.
Thanks -- do you have any insights on how the Braun might compare to a rotary razer such as the Pittbull?

If you trim it down with any clipper, you could start shaving with either a 2 or 1 blade cart/disposable. This way you will learn and get practice NOT to miss spots...... do one pass up to down and then one front to back..... Once you master your technique (mind you, you haven't wasted any money so far....), then you can try either a DE ($ky is the limit, or buy a Schick and use single blade....).

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Using any electric hair cutting tool will inevitably leave behind a layer of stubby hair, as they must have a mesh or comb and therefore cannot be trimmed really close to the skin.
They are certainly convenient and fast and I have been used them for many years.
Their limits are roughly like that.

But ultimately in pursuit of a completely smooth finish, I turned to razor & blades.

Top Bottom