What's new

I Forgot How Good The Muhle R41 Is!

You will have to excuse me for my lack of experience, not with shaving with a DE (since 2007 approximately) but for trying a host of razors. Let's say that after my trusty Merkur 23, the R41 is the first razor I used.

My beard is thick and wiry and my face feels like sandpaper 18 hours after shaving. With the R41 loaded with a nacet or feather I get a verrrry close shave that lasts. The only issue is that it keeps you on your toes. No margin for error. I sometimes use straight alcohol for after shave and it lets you know if your technique slipped.

To be honest I can get similar results with an aggressive blade on a milder razor without the drama. But, this razor is useful to keep your skills honed.

My only problem with the R41 is that it always felt like it was "pulling" my whiskers out instead of cutting them. It was never smooth for me. I agree with those that say the Fatip is smoother and shaves just as close.

I'm definitely an R41 fan. My first R41 was the 2011 model when it was first released. It beat out my Feather straight razor (and a few other DEs) to become my daily shaver for about a decade and temporarily curing my RAD. Noticing the zamak failing on the top cap was what lead me back to trying other razors fairly recently.

I've now got two 2011 R41s (my failing original and a backup), a 2013 zamak R41, and the R41GS SS version (all three piece - never tried the twist). I like them all, but the 2011 is my favorite by quite a bit. I do like the build quality on the R41GS, though I haven't found the right handle for it yet. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy more 2011 versions if I find some for sale (hint). That recent limited run titanium version was also intriguing.

As an aside - Muhle sells a razor stand for the R41 that stores the razor head down. It looks nice enough, but I think it is a terrible design in hindsight, as I wasn't meticulous about drying my original R41 and I think storing it upside down in that stand is largely the reason the zamak is failing where it is after moisture pooled in the top cap over and over.

I also have found the R41 to be a smooth and very efficient razor. When the R41 GS (stainless) first came out it caught my eye. Not having tried one but aware of the horror stories I saw that Maggards sold only the head for $25. Ordered it and through on a handle. I liked it so mush that I also ordered the stainless.

I also found it interesting that Muhle now makes the cap screw out of brass to avoid the zamak rot. If you look at the cap underside for a number, the #4 is a zamak screw and the #5 is a brass screw.

You will have to excuse me for my lack of experience, not with shaving with a DE (since 2007 approximately) but for trying a host of razors. Let's say that after my trusty Merkur 23, the R41 is the first razor I used.

My beard is thick and wiry and my face feels like sandpaper 18 hours after shaving. With the R41 loaded with a nacet or feather I get a verrrry close shave that lasts. The only issue is that it keeps you on your toes. No margin for error. I sometimes use straight alcohol for after shave and it lets you know if your technique slipped.

To be honest I can get similar results with an aggressive blade on a milder razor without the drama. But, this razor is useful to keep your skills honed.
The funny thing is that I was kinda in a rush to shave this AM, and without really thinking about it, I grabbed the R41 and Palmolive shave stick and went to town. It was a quicky two pass shave, but despite the haste, I got no weepers or irritation. I slapped on some alcohol-based aftershave uh... after the shave, and all was just fine! And for the record, my technique can be sloppy at times, so perhaps using the R41 just reinforces the "don't use pressure!" Twelve hours later, my face feels like I just shaved with my AS-D2! 😂😂😂

The funny thing is that I was kinda in a rush to shave this AM, and without really thinking about it, I grabbed the R41 and Palmolive shave stick and went to town. It was a quicky two pass shave, but despite the haste, I got no weepers or irritation. I slapped on some alcohol-based aftershave uh... after the shave, and all was just fine! And for the record, my technique can be sloppy at times, so perhaps using the R41 just reinforces the "don't use pressure!" Twelve hours later, my face feels like I just shaved with my AS-D2! 😂😂😂

My advantage is that I am self employed in an environment that does not require a business attire. Thus, I am shaving in the evening fully awake. If I tried to shave with anything early in the AM before the caffeine kicks in it won't be pretty :letterk1:

I have to admit that in my search for the "perfect" razor, I have ignored my R41 (newer version) for far too long. While it's certainly not as solid and pretty as my Charcoal Goods/Blackland/Tatara et al., it just gets the job done! I have a very coarse beard which can scoff at some "aggressive and efficient" razors. But this morning's shave with the R41 and Feather blade was a very positive experience. It was smoother than expected, and I was even able to take care my jawline (which is often an issue) with ZERO irritation. I don't ever chase BBS, but if I could get these results with two passes (WTG and XTG), I don't doubt that I could have been as smooth as a cue ball with another pass or two.
The R41 has officially made its way back from my "travel kit" which gets no love these days, and is back in the bathroom cabinet with my favorite razors. Anyone else have a similar re-discovery with the R41?

+1! Sometimes ‘perfect’ (or the search for perfection) is the enemy of ‘good.’

Congratulations on revisiting your R41, which looks like it belongs in your daily rotation! :thumbup: :thumbup:

After reading this yesterday I pulled out my R41 this morning, after using my R96 for over a year. I must say I really enjoyed it. I will see how my skin react as I shave every day. If all works out then I will be thinking of the R41GS. I use my 41 with an Ikon handle for the added weight.

Attachments

• 20210906_125029.jpg
    20210906_125029.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 15

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The R41 got me into DE wetshaving.
The R89, which I had before, almost made me dismiss it as "simply not as efficient as a Gillette Mach3 or Fusion!"

So yeah, the R41 saved me. :001_smile

I bought the R41 stainless steel once it became available. After using mid-aggressive razors for a while I needed some shaves to get back into it.

Nowadays I find it a bit too dangerous and can achieve similar results with less risk. My Wunderbar comes to mind and some other razors.

I have high hopes for the Blackbird, but have to see if I can get used to its OC plate. If not, this razor is sooo effective and efficient, I will give the SB a try.

Also, one of the dumbest things I did in my life was doing my first shave with the R41 with a Feather. :tongue:

In 2018, Maggard Razors had a x-mas sale on the R41 head. I think it was a Black Friday sale. I added the bulldog handle to it, from Italian Barber, and haven’t looked back.

I’ve tried other heads. The ones Maggard’s has their name on, and the ones Italian Barber has their name on. Since I’ve tried the R41, the weight of the head and the close shaves has made it my daily driver.

I’ll admit, it does take some getting used to. It took a while to not cut myself. I think the number one key, to its efficiency, is the blade. I was an Astra man, but the Astra blades are some of the worst in the R41. I’m now a Feather man.

Last edited:
In 2018, Maggard Razors had a x-mas sale on the R41 head. I think it was a Black Friday sale. I added the bulldog handle to it, from Italian Barber, and haven’t looked back.

I’ve tried other heads. The ones Maggard’s has their name on, and the ones Italian Barber has their name on. Since I’ve tried the R41, the weight of the head and the close shaves has made it my daily driver.

I’ll admit, it does take some getting used to. It took a while to not cut myself. I think the number one key, to its efficiency, is the blade. I was an Astra man, but the Astra blades are some of the worst in the R41. I’m now a Feather man.
Same here with the same setup, now that I tried the GS it's a lot better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Same here with the same setup, now that I tried the GS it's a lot better.

You're saying the GS is a lot better?

10-1-21.R41GS.640.JPG

I've not yet used my new stainless steel R41, but the zamac models are great, so I'd except the GS to follow suit or maybe even be better.​
R41 Fanboy. FOAM'R.41.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've only been using a safety razor for three months now I started off with a Muhle R89 closed comb and was having a hard time of it pretty poor results, I then switched to the Muhle R41 following a short learning curve I started to get great smooth shave I suspect my stubble hair is rather coarse which would explain it, personally I think the R41 is a great shaver I use it every day with no irritation.
Use a sharp blade (Voskhod/Feather), very little pressure and a bit of patience and you'll get a great shave.

Last edited:
For the Record:
I use my 41 every day, the last week I broke out with cold sores on my face ( I get it every couple of months) I still managed to shave without any cuts whatsoever. The point is if you put your mind into it and develop a good technic you will get a great shave out of it. I understand YMMV but generally speaking.

I'm definitely an R41 fan. My first R41 was the 2011 model when it was first released. It beat out my Feather straight razor (and a few other DEs) to become my daily shaver for about a decade and temporarily curing my RAD. Noticing the zamak failing on the top cap was what lead me back to trying other razors fairly recently.

I've now got two 2011 R41s (my failing original and a backup), a 2013 zamak R41, and the R41GS SS version (all three piece - never tried the twist). I like them all, but the 2011 is my favorite by quite a bit. I do like the build quality on the R41GS, though I haven't found the right handle for it yet. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy more 2011 versions if I find some for sale (hint). That recent limited run titanium version was also intriguing.

As an aside - Muhle sells a razor stand for the R41 that stores the razor head down. It looks nice enough, but I think it is a terrible design in hindsight, as I wasn't meticulous about drying my original R41 and I think storing it upside down in that stand is largely the reason the zamak is failing where it is after moisture pooled in the top cap over and over.
The handle I use on my GS is the Razorock super knurl, works great.

Top Bottom