What's new

I Forgot How Good The Muhle R41 Is!

I have to admit that in my search for the "perfect" razor, I have ignored my R41 (newer version) for far too long. While it's certainly not as solid and pretty as my Charcoal Goods/Blackland/Tatara et al., it just gets the job done! I have a very coarse beard which can scoff at some "aggressive and efficient" razors. But this morning's shave with the R41 and Feather blade was a very positive experience. It was smoother than expected, and I was even able to take care my jawline (which is often an issue) with ZERO irritation. I don't ever chase BBS, but if I could get these results with two passes (WTG and XTG), I don't doubt that I could have been as smooth as a cue ball with another pass or two.
The R41 has officially made its way back from my "travel kit" which gets no love these days, and is back in the bathroom cabinet with my favorite razors. Anyone else have a similar re-discovery with the R41?

The R41 indeed provides a very close shave, but for me you can’t judge it (or any other razor) after just one use.

I suggest you Shave daily with the R41 for 2-3 weeks and see how your skin reacts

I start to get bumps and redness after the 3rd day with the R41

The R41 indeed provides a very close shave, but for me you can’t judge it (or any other razor) after just one use.

I suggest you Shave daily with the R41 for 2-3 weeks and see how your skin reacts

I start to get bumps and redness after the 3rd day with the R41
While I agree that it would be foolish to judge a razor after just one shave, I used to shave with this razor a lot back before I got sucked into the "I HAVE to own that beautiful Charcoal Goods razor" rabbit hole. No, this wasn't my first time with the R41. We just needed to get reacquainted, is all. But this morning's shave was kind of like when you meet an old friend that you haven't seen or talked to for years, but you both pick up the conversation as if you had hung out last week.

Prefer the OC Fatips overall. These provide a smoother, less anxious shave. The R41 gives a very close shave, just not comfortable and relaxing for me. I want more of an auto-pilot shaving experience.
I guess I'm too OCD to use my Fatip. It has a very slight alignment issue, so I'm always spending far too much time trying to get the the blade lined up perfectly. It does shave very well, but the alignment just gives me fits!

I guess I'm too OCD to use my Fatip. It has a very slight alignment issue, so I'm always spending far too much time trying to get the the blade lined up perfectly. It does shave very well, but the alignment just gives me fits!
I have three Fatips and a Schone razor. It always surprises me to hear the complains about alignment, taking too long to align, etc. Must be an alternate universe or perhaps an example of groupthink. I just load the razor with the head upside down on one palm; the blade centers itself as the handle is tightened down. Ready to go.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have to admit that in my search for the "perfect" razor, I have ignored my R41 (newer version) for far too long. While it's certainly not as solid and pretty as my Charcoal Goods/Blackland/Tatara et al., it just gets the job done! I have a very coarse beard which can scoff at some "aggressive and efficient" razors. But this morning's shave with the R41 and Feather blade was a very positive experience. It was smoother than expected, and I was even able to take care my jawline (which is often an issue) with ZERO irritation. I don't ever chase BBS, but if I could get these results with two passes (WTG and XTG), I don't doubt that I could have been as smooth as a cue ball with another pass or two.
The R41 has officially made its way back from my "travel kit" which gets no love these days, and is back in the bathroom cabinet with my favorite razors. Anyone else have a similar re-discovery with the R41?
There was a time in my journey when I was a daily R41 shaver. I was always amazed at how efficient the first pass was — jaw-dropping efficiency. Congrats on re-discovering it!

Prefer the OC Fatips overall. These provide a smoother, less anxious shave. The R41 gives a very close shave, just not comfortable and relaxing for me. I want more of an auto-pilot shaving experience.

The only thing not auto-pilot about the Fatip is getting the damn blade aligned 🤣

Otherwise agreed it's more friendly than the R41 and just as efficient.

Then again, so is an Old type and that has the same alignment fiddle... Of the three, I'd probably take the Old (or mix/match, the Fatip cap on Old type baseplate gives you spot on alignment every time, the pins fit very tightly).

I have three Fatips and a Schone razor. It always surprises me to hear the complains about alignment, taking too long to align, etc. Must be an alternate universe or perhaps an example of groupthink. I just load the razor with the head upside down on one palm; the blade centers itself as the handle is tightened down. Ready to go.
Nope. Not groupthink. I bought the Fatip way back when, prior to even knowing that there was such a thing as a forum for shaving enthusiasts. I remember being confused as to why some of my shaves were great and some were downright painful. I still remember the day in which I saw the issue for the first time. And sadly, once I observed (and felt) the issue, there was little chance that I would be able to assume that the blade was ever straight. Fair or not, it's hard to convince the brain that something is safe after any kind of trauma. Kind of like how it took me years to be able to eat venison after some really bad food poisoning. 🤮🤮🤮 I actually got my current Fatip from a B&B member during the holiday gift exchange, so I do shave with it from time to time. Again, very good shaves, but I'm constantly worried that the blade isn't straight.

1629066875596.png

Interesting how this is made into such a big deal. It's really not. If you have a defective razor, just exchange it. I spend zero time aligning my Fatips.

View attachment 1312214

Interesting how this is made into such a big deal. It's really not. If you have a defective razor, just exchange it. I spend zero time aligning my Fatips.
I'm glad that your Fatips work for you. I really am! But I don't understand why you are making such a big deal out of this. I didn't crap on Fatips at any point in the thread, I merely referenced MY experience with the Fatip. Anyway... How about that R41, huh?

Interesting how this is made into such a big deal. It's really not.

If you have one with issues and have had it a while, it not nothing.... It's an irritation rather than a major problem, but it's nonetheless an irritation that not all razors have.

I've had mine a few years, no way they'd want to exchange it even if I were to ask - besides, at the time that was considered normal and I learned to just put up with it.

Compared to, for example, just throwing a blade into a New type and getting absolutely perfect alignment every time, couldn't get it wrong if I tried, that's something that's going to make me reach for my New types before my Fatip more often than not (and I do!).

I don't see any point in dismissing it as nothing, it's not *that* big a deal, but it's not nothing either.

It is just a pet peeve of mine. You can get a brand new, all brass razor from Fatip that shaves great for a fair price. But when a newbie wants to get one or expresses interest, it is always:

"but I heard they have alignment issues..."
"but I'm concerned about the alignment issues..."
"but I don't want to have to worry about alignment issues..."
"but Brad Maggard made a scary video ten years ago showing the horrible quality and alignment issues..."

This talk ends up eclipsing and obscuring all the good qualities the razors have in spades. I'm not ignoring it, just saying it is shouldn't be the focus. People do not focus on alignment when discussing Old Types or older Merkurs, for example.

All right, we should get back to the R41!

Last edited:
It is just a pet peeve of mine. You can get a brand new, all brass razor from Fatip that shaves great for a fair price

I have and do recommend it for what it is at the price - I do think it's fair to caveat that alignment is sometimes not perfect and needs fiddling... Yes, it's something you can get used to, but not everyone wants to and that's also fine.

There's no doubting that Fatip's are one of the very best value for money on the market, but there's also no doubting that they're not flawless either - my other picks for superb value at their respective pricepoints, for example, don't have the same issue (Baili BR176 and the various SS Razorock's like the Mamba's, Gamechanger's etc).

I would also suggest that nobody is likely to get into Old types without already being a bit of a razor enthusiast - some people coming to Fatips may not necessarily be as willing to accept potential blade alignment fiddles as just part of the deal the way most of us do with Old types.

As you say, perhaps it's best to get back to the R41 at this point...

It is just a pet peeve of mine. You can get a brand new, all brass razor from Fatip that shaves great for a fair price. But when a newbie wants to get one or expresses interest, it is always:

"but I heard they have alignment issues..."
"but I'm concerned about the alignment issues..."
"but I don't want to have to worry about alignment issues..."
"but Brad Maggard made a scary video ten years ago showing the horrible quality and alignment issues..."

This talk ends up eclipsing and obscuring all the good qualities the razors have in spades. I'm not ignoring it, just saying it is should not the focus. People do not focus on alignment when discussing Old Types or older Merkurs, for example.

All right, we should get back to the R41!
The irony is that, if I'm not mistaken, my progression as a newbie was R89, Futur, Fatip Grande then R41. I loved how the Fatip shaved on a "good day", but the inconsistency (and occasional irritation) was maddening, so I moved on. But it's possible that I would never have looked elsewhere (until I saw a Charcoal Goods razor, that is) had I received a more precise Fatip or knew the little tricks. But I do understand why the discussions about the Fatip frustrate you. You've had good results and feel that the negatives are taking away from a good product. It was not my intention to throw shade at the Fatip.

I swear the loading upside-down trick works almost every time...no fiddling required.
:laugh:
I totally believe you. And if someone had shown me the "trick" to taking the top cap off of a Futur after getting out of the shower, I may have stuck with the Futur for a spell. But thinking about that DEEP cut on my thumb that I got still makes me shudder! I recently bought a marked-down Futur for like $20, and I couldn't even bring myself to load the thing. I sold it without even using it. :letterk1::letterk1::letterk1:

Top Bottom