What's new

I Forgot How Good The Muhle R41 Is!

It's indeed a great razor and it's probably the most efficient DE razor that i've ever used, but despite the great results, the shaves were not the most pleasent and smooth, because of the small blade chatter and it felt a bit rough. I had only the head and keep it for one pass or quick shaves, but after i've got the MMOC, which is an R41, but on steroids in terms of efficiency and it's also a bit smoother and more comfortable, I didn't see any point of keeping it anymore and I sold it.

I guess people with softer whiskers would like it a lot more than people with more coarse and hard ones, but hey, that's just a theory, a shave theory!

I also have found the R41 to be a smooth and very efficient razor. When the R41 GS (stainless) first came out it caught my eye. Not having tried one but aware of the horror stories I saw that Maggards sold only the head for $25. Ordered it and through on a handle. I liked it so mush that I also ordered the stainless.

I also found it interesting that Muhle now makes the cap screw out of brass to avoid the zamak rot. If you look at the cap underside for a number, the #4 is a zamak screw and the #5 is a brass screw.
I also just bought the head to pair with a Weber SS handle and was presently surprised to see that it was a number 5 - brass screw!

I'm of the same opinion as the OP. Due to the 1 blade in February challenge, ended up removing my blade from the GC .84 and placing it into my 2011 R41. O received one of the best shaves I've had in a long time. With the GC .84, I needed 3 passes and buffing. The R41 led to 2 passes and minimal buffs.

What's interesting is that the majority of my shaves lately have been with the Lupo .95 or the RR JAWS. I belive my technique has improved to the point where the R41's qualities are perfect for my face at this time.

The R41 (2011 & 2013) were both on the shelf as it were. For whatever reason, regardless of the blade, my shaves left my skin feeling raw-as if the 1st and 2nd layers were removed. I tried different handles, pre-lather, etc. Nothing made a difference so I resolved to only use them sparingly. Lately, I have noticed a change in my shaves-I'm reaching for the more aggressive members of the den. The GC 84 used to provide me with great shaves after 3 passes- now, after the 3rd pass, it feels like I need a 4th pass with the amount of stubble left behind. I am not doing 4 passes with any razor!!!

The last few shaves have been sublime; I'm hoping it's NOT due to the blade as Swedes are no longer manufactured (this version). After I get through this 1 blade challenge, I'll definitely see if the blade is the variable or is my face just ready for what the R41 brings.

I have used different brushes and shave soaps so far with the only constant being the razor and the blade and I must concur- I forgot how good the R41 is!!! If this continues after February, I might be looking at the SS version (RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!)

marty

Top Bottom