What's new

How's this for Gillette Double Talk?

I just got my Gillette New razor - it looks like it's never been used - or used very infrequently. Anyways - as you see in the picture below - there is (presumably the original) card on the razor, and it says:

WARNING. For Mechanical reasons we cannot guarantee satisfactory results unless blades of Gillette manufacture are used in this razor.

When was this thing made? There's no date code. 1940's? 1930's???

Definitely not the way we talk today.

Just a way to BS people into buying gillette blades.

Not much has changed cough*gillette-the best a man can get (m3)*cough*cough*

Just a way to BS people into buying gillette blades.

Not much has changed cough*gillette-the best a man can get (m3)*cough*cough*

Say it ain't so Gillette. Surely the beloved Gillette would never lie to us to make money. They wouldn't do that would they?

Seriously, you have to remember that Camp King Gillette was originally a bottle cap salesman that "invented" a disposable razor blade so he could be insured a continuous revenue stream. Gillette continues as Proctor & Gamble but it's the same game. But you knew that already or you wouldn't have turned your head and coughed. :lol:

There were scores of companies making DE blades back in the day. This was cutting into Gillette's profit margin as they make their money selling blades not razors.
Their solution was to eventually abandon the DE in this country and produce cartridge razor that take a proprietary blade. When the patent run out and the copycats start making generic cartridges Gillette comes out with a new improved shaving system, can you say 5 blades and $3 cartridges.:lol:

I just got my Gillette New razor - it looks like it's never been used - or used very infrequently. Anyways - as you see in the picture below - there is (presumably the original) card on the razor, and it says:

WARNING. For Mechanical reasons we cannot guarantee satisfactory results unless blades of Gillette manufacture are used in this razor.

When was this thing made? There's no date code. 1940's? 1930's???

Definitely not the way we talk today.

Dread,

I have a couple NEWs and just love them. And I have not used a Gillette blade in them yet. No problems with shaving safety yet. :biggrin:

The Gillette NEW was produced from 1929 when they were test marketed through 1941. They came with several handle styles. The one you have pictured looks like it has the standard bar handle. There were also several other models produced that were like the NEW but with different handles and weights. Check out the Wiki entries for razors in the B&B Wiki pages.

You will find the NEW to be a great shaving experience. I love mine and use them in my daily rotation. In fact I have a Regent Tech coming in the mail. It is an open comb TTO Gillette razor.

Hope you enjoy the open comb style as much as I do. Let us know what you think of how your NEW shaves.

I tried this razor this morning, and I must say I DO LIKE this razor. I was put off by some comments I read about the open comb - but this IS A GREAT RAZOR!!

I tried this razor this morning, and I must say I DO LIKE this razor. I was put off by some comments I read about the open comb - but this IS A GREAT RAZOR!!

It's not new anymore! :biggrin:
These were my favorites for a while. Very close shaves!
Oh, at the time of that razor's manufacture, it's my understanding that Gillette made the only blades that would fit it.

in a manner, they are correct, they have tasted the razor only with the blades they manufacutrer, i suspect their lawyers recommended that "warning" to avoid legal responsibility if you rip up your face using a the cheapest blades you can find,

The reason for the warning involves a 1929/1930 patent, that Gillette held, for a new, thin style blade. Earlier blades were thicker and had three holes, two of which were used for indexing. The new blade indexed on the slot that matches the bar on the New.

Glad to hear that. I found a well used version just last week at an antique store. Just got it cleaned up last night and is ready for a barbacide soak later tonight. I am looking forward to shaving with it.

There's a billboard up on my way home from work now that says 'Gillette Mach 3 Disposable...Enough said". It makes me chuckle every time I see it. Enough said, exactly!

Top Bottom