What's new

How to: Shave and Travel

I have only been at this DE shaving caper for a week, but I had a couple of days in Geneva (travelled down there by train) on pleasure and really enjoyed having time in the morning to have a proper shave. Normally my work-a-day morning routine is quite rushed and until I get the shaving down pat, I will try to shave in the evenings.
My problem is that when I travel around Europe on business, I normally only have hand luggage with me which counts out the idea of taking razor blades. Will I be reduced to the dreaded multi-bladed nightmare again? :blush:

Don't want to start a new thread about this ... but hopefully I'll get some advice here....

I live in Asia, but visit the US every year or two. Considering the often sorry state of the postal system where I live, I opted to have my new Feather Solid Stainless razor shipped to my parent's house in the US. But now my next anxiety is getting it back here safely in my luggage. I realize I can't carry it on loaded with a blade, but I've read posts here from people who have had their unloaded razor confiscated just for the fact that it's a metal object designed to carry sharp instruments. On the other hand, I've had a couple of incidents over the years of theft from (or loss of) checked luggage. Considering this is an expensive/important instrument, I wouldn't want to risk either. Anyone have a vote to the best option, or am I just being paranoid? (It's a gorgeous razor - don't want to lose it before i get it home!)

Heading back to Wales for the weekend this afternoon, and have this travel set packed...

proxy.php

one of the cylinders holds a Wee Scot
the other cylinder has a Wilkinson Sword shavestick
the leather razor wallet holds a British made NEW & 2 Super Platinum blades
the cologne bottle's filled with Pinaud Bay Rum

where the brush is in the picture there's room for

another cylinder holding a 30ml pot of AOS shave oil
an Osma Block
a styptic pencil in bakelite hoder

Don't want to start a new thread about this ... but hopefully I'll get some advice here....

I live in Asia, but visit the US every year or two. Considering the often sorry state of the postal system where I live, I opted to have my new Feather Solid Stainless razor shipped to my parent's house in the US. But now my next anxiety is getting it back here safely in my luggage. I realize I can't carry it on loaded with a blade, but I've read posts here from people who have had their unloaded razor confiscated just for the fact that it's a metal object designed to carry sharp instruments. On the other hand, I've had a couple of incidents over the years of theft from (or loss of) checked luggage. Considering this is an expensive/important instrument, I wouldn't want to risk either. Anyone have a vote to the best option, or am I just being paranoid? (It's a gorgeous razor - don't want to lose it before i get it home!)

I'd vote paranoid :tongue_sm Your odds of getting your checked luggage riffled through is pretty low (at least in the US, not sure what the situation in Vietnam is like.) I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for having an obviously unloaded razor in their bags, but I generally open mine up to show there's no blade and put it in the bin with my coins and keys going through security. Never had a problem.

For protecting your DE while traveling, I've found a hard glasses case to be the perfect size. Padded on the inside so your razor is comfy, and hard on the outside to prevent crushing.

Top Bottom