What's new

How to: Shave and Travel

Nice guide! I tend to travel with option 2.5:

3/1 Super (favorite brush)
Travel Tech (wouldn't cry if I lost it, acceptable performance)
Tabac stick (favorite soap)
AV Ice Sport (small bottle, acceptable performance)
Tommy Bahama by Tommy Bahama edt (favorite scent, and travel sized)

so, three favorites and two acceptables. Option 2.5 :tongue:

I have taken DE blades onto many an airplane in my carry-on luggae, and NEVER had a problem. They are usually stored within the little dopp bag I keep, and wrapped in their little wax paper containers. I've never even been asked to empty or show my shave bag.

The site says: "Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors." (emphasis mine) are prohibited from carry-ons.

I believe the TSA webpage has a specific LIMIT on the number of blades you can take on the plane in carry-on luggabge, but as I said, I have never been stopped for the singelton or two blades I usually keep in my kit.

Last edited:
Other members have reported differently - that the TSA have confiscated blades.

The TSA also confirmed when asked that by safety razors they mean modern cartridge ones, and not DEs, and that DE blades are specifically not allowed.

Other members have reported differently - that the TSA have confiscated blades.

The TSA also confirmed when asked that by safety razors they mean modern cartridge ones, and not DEs, and that DE blades are specifically not allowed.

Indeed. It all depends on the airport, and on the security guy that happens to be the one inspecting your carry-on.

Personally, I won't take any chance and pack my DE razor and my DE blades in my checked luggage. In my carry-on, I'll keep one or 2 single blade disposable Bic with the rest of my shaving stuff and that's it. If my checked luggage ever gets lost, at least I'll have the disposables to shave with in my carry-on.

I agree in light of this that I may have been very lucky. I try my hardest to only bring a carry-on when I fly. I will take out my DE razor now and pack a few crappy BICs to satisfy the security folks. I guess.

I have a bad taste in my mouth now.

I have taken DE blades onto many an airplane in my carry-on luggae, and NEVER had a problem. They are usually stored within the little dopp bag I keep, and wrapped in their little wax paper containers. I've never even been asked to empty or show my shave bag.

The site says: "Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors." (emphasis mine) are prohibited from carry-ons.

I believe the TSA webpage has a specific LIMIT on the number of blades you can take on the plane in carry-on luggabge, but as I said, I have never been stopped for the singelton or two blades I usually keep in my kit.

I made an honest mistake once, forgot I had some blades stuffed in my brush holder. That was the last mistake like that I ever made. I don't know where you travel but that won't 'fly' in the major hubs I frequent.

Check those blades

Thanks for all the great tips from the field! It is sad to say that using a cartridge razor is the best option for those of us who only carry on for those short trips.

Kevin

The "small" kit.. Normally for overnight to weekend stays.

proxy.php

The "large" kit.. Away for more than three days

proxy.php

proxy.php

What's with the wine opener?:blink:

I travel with a Tech in a soap holder, an Omega boar in a big pill bottle, a few Palmolive sticks, store brand Old Spice, and some witch hazel decanted into a small bottle.

Good guide, thank you Mdunn.
I'm preparing a travel kit for spring holidays in north Africa and I'm waiting for a Feather Portale razor.
I noticed that Vulfix offers nice travel brushes :
proxy.php
proxy.php
(nickel plated :tongue_sm)
I plan to go with only brush and razor to have an excuse to buy local cream and after shave :wink:

Last edited:
I take my favourite shaving cream and aftershave, blades (in the suitcase), along with Gillette I can afford to lose (a Super Speed or Gillette Tech) and my second best brush (I only have two!)

Along with anything else I feel like taking. I would so love a shaving bag such as in the lower pix.

Nice post, but where do you lather? All facelathering?

I carry a small mug or use these cups/glas supplied by the hotel to help you brushing your teeth ....

Then, in case you use creams, just finish a tube up by two/third, "roll it up" and keep the low volume cream tube for traveling, it wont take away as much space as a full tube (of course, doesnt workt for plastic, like AOS)

Then, I have a small tupperware, round one, that fits right into the travel mug. This way I am able to store these small glass cologne samples safely inside of the Tupperware without wasting space.

Then, when covering your brush in toilett paper roll, just put one / two small rubber band around it.

Alex

I carry a small mug or use these cups/glas supplied by the hotel to help you brushing your teeth ....

Then, in case you use creams, just finish a tube up by two/third, "roll it up" and keep the low volume cream tube for traveling, it wont take away as much space as a full tube (of course, doesnt workt for plastic, like AOS)

Then, I have a small tupperware, round one, that fits right into the travel mug. This way I am able to store these small glass cologne samples safely inside of the Tupperware without wasting space.

Then, when covering your brush in toilett paper roll, just put one / two small rubber band around it.

Alex

Yup, im a facelatherer. I never used to be, but then I did it while traveling (and broke my lather bowl soon after) and never looked back

What's with the wine opener?:blink:

I use it to open my wine :001_rolle

Alex

If you don't like facelathering every day, you could always palm lather. People don't talk about it much but it works just fine. If you're right handed, you build the lather in your left hand, holding the brush with your right. Essentially, your left hand becomes the "bowl." Also provides some tactile feedback as to the consistency of your lather.

This is what I do when I travel.

Top Bottom