What's new

How often should you use alum block?

Hello all!

I am wondering how often is it recommended to use alum block. Do you use it every time or only occasionally. I like the feeling but for some reason I thought you should not be using it after every shave.
On a slightly different topic I have heard some debating whether long term use is good. Are there any views for that?
Thank you!

Kind regards,
Nik

I use alum after every shave. I’m not aware of any reason not to but I’m interested to see what others have to say about it.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Just did a quick Google search, and couldn't find any reports of adverse side affects with alum.

Regarding use... I follow perhaps half my shaves with alum to get feedback on whether I nicked myself (not every cut bleeds). However, my preference is to go without alum, as it seems to dry my skin a bit.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use it after every shave. I never used to until I joined this forum. I shave before I shower so I get to wash the Alum off really well.

I use it everyday as feedback. My touch is improving so as a result the irritation is less than when I started. I wash it off before using any balms or moisturizer so I don't think there is any downside.
Pretty much, same here, except I shave every other day. I like the astringent aspect of the alum. After it's dried, I wash it off and use an aftershave splash followed by an aftershave balm. This works well for my skin. As with most other things in shaving, YMMV.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve never used alum. I use soap and water, that’s it. I might use a splash for fragrance, but not on my face. Just my preference, limiting products on my face to soap, skin feels healthy.

Top Bottom