What's new

How often should you use alum block?

Depends on your skin. If you skin likes it, use it often. If it doesn't, you have to choose the frequency. Some people don't like alum at all so they won't put that on their skin.

When I started out, it felt dry and rough on the skin so I didn't use it too often. But I realized that it helped out with irritation and ingrown hairs so I started using it regularly and it's been great so far. So these days, I use it after every shave.

I only use it on my fingers to get a better grip on my SR or on some slippery DE razors. I also use it on my fingers when i shave my lower neck area. If i cut my self i use a styptic pencil or gel. I never understood why people use it. If i have irritation from a shave i use post shave products instead.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I use the block after every shave, then rinse it off. The alum adds a nice finish to a shave. Then, instead of an after shave, I very lightly apply a bit of CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion to my still wet skin. Both steps really make a difference, at least to me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
4 times a year, immediately following the cold water rinse if you have foolishly provided yourself with a weeper.

But that's just me, some people use it daily. It might depend on your skin - mine is very dry, and the last thing it wants is to be drier.

"We do know that using antiperspirants containing aluminium may significantly increase the aluminium absorbed by your body."
"Potassium alum is also toxic to people, and is considered an environmental toxin"
Potassium Alum is not an antiperspirant. Potassium Alum is not toxic to people and it certainly is not an environmental toxin.
One would need to do a bit of research on their own so to avoid spreading ignorance. Unless Vanessa is your mentor...

I use WH after shave, so I tend to use it only to check if I've over shaved an area, as it will give that good feedback.

I also use it to get a better grip on some of my razor handles when my fingers are slick. My Merkur Progress and Fatip Grande handles are the most problematic.

Potassium Alum is not an antiperspirant. Potassium Alum is not toxic to people and it certainly is not an environmental toxin.
One would need to do a bit of research on their own so to avoid spreading ignorance. Unless Vanessa is your mentor...
I have read similar info from other sources to. There seems to be some misleading info out there. I do not want to spread wrong info. Do you have any reliable info to share?

Last edited:
I have read similar info from other sources to.
Sources like Vanessa?

...There seems to be some misleading info out there...
No kidding. Including your post.

...I do not want to spread wrong info...
You just did.

...Do you have any reliable info to share?
What would you consider "reliable info"? Info regarding what? That Potassium Alum is not an antiperspirant? That Potassium Alum is not toxic to people. That Potassium alum is not considered an environmental toxin, unless you ask Vanessa?

For the sake of my personal time and considering the risk of being labeled equally ignorant, I will invite anyone to educate themselves.

I used to use it after every shave and finish with a cold water. After reading the instructions on the label were it says do not use it on open or damaged skin i took a breake. If this is safe to use daily i will start using it again, because it seemed to work.

20211104_192450.jpg

do not use it on open or damaged skin
Looking at your picture, I believe that stick is one that is marketed for underarm use. If true, the quote is something quite common with underarm products. Supposedly, people suffer from dry skin there which would lead to cracking. I would image, since it is not meant to be rinsed off right away, getting alum into cracks in skin would be rather uncomfortable. I don't have any such warning on my alum block. If it is legal in France, EU, it should be safe for its intended purpose. They have been manufacturing and using it for a very long time.

As for use, I developed adult acne. If I don't wash daily, and carefully, I get breakouts. Chemical reactions aside, I don't wash my face daily. On those days, I apply alum. I have tested this by going without it for two weeks and did not like the outcome so I went back to using it 2 to 3 times weekly.

I only use it if I have a nick.
My skin doesn't react well to aluminum. I have to use aluminum free deodorant.

After every shave. I don't think it would work well if you have longer facial hair because it would not come into contact with the skin. If you have a beard use a face wash or face scrub.

Top Bottom