What's new

How often do you change your blades?

Hi,

How often do you change you blades?
I change between after 3-5 shaves.

//H
Hi. I used to play a game how many shaves can I get. I used one or more dice to count. Now I get 2 shaves. I buy in bulk so the blades are usually about $0.08 a blade. So two shaves are only 4 cents per shave. I work hard and deserve the best shave and it four cents... It's worth it best regards and enjoy this wonderful hobby

I shave with mine until they are dull. I bet I can get 10 shaves out of one depending on the blade. Mostly because I have very nice blades that can't be replaced because they are no longer in production.

The frequency of replacement depends not only on the blade - on the skin, on the hardness of the bristles, on the razor, and even on water. Even within the same city, water can be different in composition.
But I know for sure:The blade is just a small piece of metal. There are many of them.
And I have only one face.
And you? ;)

When a given blade begins to leave lots of stubble, or it just plain feels dull. Generally this 4 to 6 shaves depending on the blade.

My go to blades are bic platinum chrome & gillette nacet which both last 6 to 7 shaves, for me before I replace them.
Other blades I have tried don't seem to last as long.

After paying for cartridges for years, any DE blade is cheap. For a long time I arbitrarily decided on 2 shaves per blade. Lately it seems that the second shave was not as good as the first no matter what brand of bland I used. Now it is one shave per blade. For pennies a day, I enjoy the shave.

I’ve had some bad blades that I’ve changed after a few strokes but usually get about 3. Any more becomes rubbish and I ask myself why am I doing this? To save a few pennies? Not worth it

I use a blade till it tugs or doesn't shave as close as I want. Used to track how many shaves, but gave that up since blade usability seems to depend not only on the blade, but the razor, lather, angle of shave. Now I always have 2 razors loaded with blades, one in use the second to pick up in the middle of a shave if necessary because the first blade got too dull.

I tend to try to get as many days as I can out of a blade, which usually means 6 or 7. However I'm learning (still somewhat new at this) that it isn't worth trying to stretch it out to the maximum. After 3 or 4 shaves I notice that the efficiency drops off and I don't get as close shaves. It doesn't get uncomfortable (usually), just less efficient.

I should probably just bin them after 4 at the most. Blades are cheap enough there isn't much point in trying to get every last penny out of them.

That has been my experience with primarily Voskhod and Treet Classic. The Personna Platinum is also nice, just bought a 100 pack after going through a couple more from my sampler.

Usually after about 5 shaves, unless I receive a batch of new samples in which case I can't wait to try the new ones and any old one that's in any razor gets tossed even if it's got only 2 or 3 shaves on it...

Varies by blade. Dorco ST301 and Prime (STP301) blades typically 8-10 shaves, Astra Platinum 5-6 and Derby Extra 4-5. Experience outliers from all brands used. Have on occasion disposed of blades after one shave and seen others last beyond the typical range. Recently had a Derby go for 7 shaves and had an occasional Astra and Dorco that hit double digits. My standard is a two pass shave with some touch-ups.

Top Bottom