What's new

How often do you change your blades?

It depends on the razor and the blade. Usually, Feather blades last only two or three shaves. However, in a Feather AS-D2 they last at least 9 shaves. Most blades get dull after three or four shaves. However, Personna Medical Prep blades seem to last longer for me.

I now change my blades after 4 shaves except for Feather blades that I change after 3.

For quite some time, I changed at 4 but then began to stretch it to 6 which was sometimes ok and sometimes not. I detest using a tuggy blade but once the shave has started, I would battle through the tuggy blade. At a change after 4, tuggy blades are not a problem and I went back to changing at 4

Some people feel a blade gets smoother or better and get 50 to 100 or more shaves per blade, I neither can nor desire to. Like most things on this forum YMMV.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Every few weeks, up to a month, for a good blade. I usually give a bad blade at least two shaves to see if it gets better. Much beyond a month and I just feel I need to change it, even if it is still smooth. I have had a few Gillette Silver Blues and Crystals that seemed as if they could go forever. I have never enjoyed a Feather for a whole week, although in an AS-D2 they showed promise. My favorite pairing for consistent longevity is an Above the Tie Windsor with a mild plate (copper, if that matters) with a Gillette Silver Blue.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
(in my best George Carlin voice): "I change it when it needs it, maaaaan... might be 5 might be 500...."
I was channeling him doing the voice when he described baseball, as opposed to his take on football.

One of the BEST interviews I ever heard, of ANY "Celebrity", was him being interviewed by Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM.

Art Bell was an odd duck, as was Carlin, but the two of them together were magic. Not for any one thing they may have said, but just two inquisitive minds sharing ideas. Truly wonderful if you can find it.

Art Bell was a genius interviewer.... very underappreciated in my book

I'm with those who try to get as many shaves as they can from a blade, usually between 4 - 6 shaves. Sometimes I can get more shaves from a blade. Or, like a recent blade that I had been holding off trying and finally did, and it turned out to be a fake knockoff that I barely survived 1 lousy shave with it.

FarmerTan

@Grundi : I see you laffing at me! How have you been? As you can see, my ADHD has kicked in bad tonight. I drank a regular Coke tonight, and instead of it slowing my brane down, it has had the effect that Benedryl does to me about 10 percent of the time: restless legs, skin crawling....ugh.

FarmerTan

I'm with those who try to get as many shaves as they can from a blade, usually between 4 - 6 shaves. Sometimes I can get more shaves from a blade. Or, like a recent blade that I had been holding off trying and finally did, and it turned out to be a fake knockoff that I barely survived 1 lousy shave with it.
The blades that you and @Space_Cadet have given me are exceptional as a rule. Thank you for that.

The blades that you and @Space_Cadet have given me are exceptional as a rule. Thank you for that.
A couple of the blades (ELIOS Inoxidable Blades, KAI Blades, and these Unobtainium Polsiver Stainless Blades) have just continued to deliver quality shaves after quality shaves. @Demolition has shaved 89 times with just 2 blades!!

@Grundi : I see you laffing at me! How have you been? As you can see, my ADHD has kicked in bad tonight. I drank a regular Coke tonight, and instead of it slowing my brane down, it has had the effect that Benedryl does to me about 10 percent of the time: restless legs, skin crawling....ugh.
I'm doing excellent, my Friend!! I hope that you're feeling back to your old self and having more good days than bad ones!!

I laugh because I'm very bad at impressions, so I was hear George's and Art's voices as though I would have tried to do them (with my wife asking who was that suppose to be?!?). However, that doesn't stop me from trying, heh heh.

Sorry, @Oakmountain, @FarmerTan and I were catching up. Thank you for your patience with us.

Top Bottom