What's new

How often do you change your blades?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes! So sorry @Oakmountain ! I truly do have terrible ADHD, but unlike today's father's, my dad believed it could be cured, because he had it too! I actually look at it as a gift. Of course, it's a gift that costs those around the recipient A LOT, lol!

This is REALLY a great thread you have started, Oakmountain. At least it was until that @Grundi fella came along and derailed it!

I promise to keep an eye on him, friend. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy yourself here on B and B! You will not find a better group of helpful, kind gentlefolk on all of the interwebs.

FarmerTan

Try to remember to change my blades every Sunday. So 7 days, whether they need it or not. Not gonna quibble over $0.40/month.
Think of the inheritance you are depriving your children of! 40 cents a month, for 40 years comes out to $1,000,000 my friend!

My grandkids will be flying themselves to high skool in their own flying car while yours will be relying on wind and hang gliding!

I was channeling him doing the voice when he described baseball, as opposed to his take on football.

One of the BEST interviews I ever heard, of ANY "Celebrity", was him being interviewed by Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM.

Art Bell was an odd duck, as was Carlin, but the two of them together were magic. Not for any one thing they may have said, but just two inquisitive minds sharing ideas. Truly wonderful if you can find it.

Art Bell was a genius interviewer.... very underappreciated in my book
George Carlin was a genius. How many comedians can do a bit about beets (the vegetable) and be funny? “Beets? Beets? beats me.” 🙏

Oh, I know it is weird for either FarmerTan or myself to derail threads, so I will add that I average 2-3 uses per DE blade and 4-6 for SE.

Reactions: Anu

FarmerTan

George Carlin was a genius. How many comedians can do a bit about beets (the vegetable) and be funny? “Beets? Beets? beats me.” 🙏

Oh, I know it is weird for either FarmerTan or myself to derail threads, so I will add that I average 2-3 uses per DE blade and 4-6 for SE.
If I don't get double digits on a blade it's because my wife used it to scrape paint off a window! True story doggone!

She did it with one of Grundi's unobtainium ones! Oy!

Derailed threads that bring back good memories are always worthwhile. George Carlin had the ability to make anything funny. But times do change and if anyone remembers the words you can’t say on TV routine, their age will show as now you hear those words on TV all the time.

FarmerTan

Derailed threads that bring back good memories are always worthwhile. George Carlin had the ability to make anything funny. But times do change and if anyone remembers the words you can’t say on TV routine, their age will show as now you hear those words on TV all the time.
Wasn't sure if I should laff or cry at that. Because....it is TOO true my friend.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I change my DE blades every seven shaves. Some could go more and some are done after around four shaves. Seven shaves is my goal.

It depends how often I shave. For instance, if I shave every 1-3 days, I can get between 3-4 good shaves from my favorite blades, but if I shave once every 4+ days, probably 2-3. Most of the time I feel that a blade isn't as sharp on it's 3rd use and depending how it performs I decide whatever it's worth going for another shave or not. I rarely push blades for as far as they can go, since the chances of getting a bad shave are high and it's just not worth it. I might start using my blades only twice, since then I get the best out of a blade every time.

I change it when it doesn’t feel right. I assume I’m going to get at least 3 shaves from a DE blade and am surprised when that doesn’t happen. I have a rotating stock of multiple use blades that I pick from somewhat randomly, some getting well past 10 shaves. That’s rare for me though. I usually get 5-7 shaves which is more than acceptable to me.

I’m only a month or so in but I’ve found that I can only get two good shaves from the blades I’ve tried thus far, including feathers, astra sp, Gillette platinum (dark) and I’ll be using a nacet on its second shave in about an hour. I’ve found the third shave to be severely uncomfortable with everything so far so for the time being I’m settling on 2 shaves. I have very coarse facial hair, very sensitive neck skin and shave 6 days a week.

Life is too short for a bad shave, especially when blades are so cheap.

Depends on the blade, razor, moon phase, etc.

My ‘top-tier’ blades routinely go 7-10 shaves or more!
Mid-tier blades generally go 4-6 shaves.
’Bottom-tier’ blades may not make it through the first shave or two.

I change blades either when the blade tells me it's done, or I just kinda feel like changing it. And I don't bother keeping blades around until I get all the shaves out of them, if I feel like changing to a new blade after one shave on a blade that I know can go 10 shaves, I still toss it to make the change.

Reactions: Anu
Once a week. I typically choose a different razor and blade every Sunday. My ritual following Saturday's shave is to thoroughly clean the disassembled razor and properly dispose of the blade; I guess it's my way of officially putting the previous week in the past where it belongs. I've found that all of the blades I regularly use are capable of providing at least 10 quality shaves so I'll probably stick with this schedule until my current supply is depleted. I won't become concerned until I can no longer buy 100 of my favorite DE blades for about the price of a fast-food combo meal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom