What's new

How often do you change your blades?

4 shaves as a rule. The exception is was Lord Stainless Steel Super. I couldn't shave with it not once without feeling pain...

Every four shaves. Sometimes I get away with five, but with the brands I use four seems to be the best time to toss it. I have so many blades that I decided to not get hung up...too much...on maybe wasting a shave a two.

Think of the inheritance you are depriving your children of! 40 cents a month, for 40 years comes out to $1,000,000 my friend!

My grandkids will be flying themselves to high skool in their own flying car while yours will be relying on wind and hang gliding!
You are correct, sir!
Unfortunately, real estate taxes, health insurance, insurance costs, cost of living, etc. will absorb all of that. Essentially, I will not live to be over 100 based on your calculation. If I was 20 years old, you may have a point.
At my age, I will continue to enjoy the ride. In this case, enjoy the shave. :)

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You are correct, sir!
Unfortunately, real estate taxes, health insurance, insurance costs, cost of living, etc. will absorb all of that. Essentially, I will not live to be over 100 based on your calculation. If I was 20 years old, you may have a point.
At my age, I will continue to enjoy the ride. In this case, enjoy the shave. :)
Ok. You win.

Maybe my grandkids will take after their grandpa and pick up your grandkids and take them to skool!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I toss a blade after two shaves, no matter what it is. They are so cheap, and I have them by the thousands in my den, it is sacrilege to not have a fresh one as often as possible. Life is to short to not shave with a sharp and smooth blade that performs exceedingly well.
If that works for you that's great. But my blade of choice, Gillette Silver Blue, gets better after the first use. It all depends on your hair characteristics. Mine is dense but fine in comparison to other guys. Weird how that works.

I'm with those who try to get as many shaves as they can from a blade, usually between 4 - 6 shaves. Sometimes I can get more shaves from a blade. Or, like a recent blade that I had been holding off trying and finally did, and it turned out to be a fake knockoff that I barely survived 1 lousy shave with it.
I use my blades for as long as they’ll go also.

I change when the blade begins to tug. Depending on the blade, that might be after 2 shaves with a Feather or after 8 - 10 shaves with a Nacet.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It depends on the blade, but the PolSilver SI blades I normally use get changed after 12 passes. I keep track with a die and found that virtually all my weepers came on the 15th pass. I suspect that rather than the blade, the fault was unconscious increased pressure trying to get an ever duller blade to keep up to the same standard.

It is my practice to change the blade before that lousy, tuggy shave because I really don't want to experience that.

For DE blades I usually bin them after 3 shaves irregardless of condition. They are just too inexpensive to be bothered with trying to stretch out the lifespan.
Although lately I have been going farther with vintage stainless blades. Right now I’m on my seventh shave with a vintage Personna blade and it still feels like the first.
I tend to go 7 to 12 shaves with my single edge blades.

I have arbitrarily picked "10" as the magic number. Depending how things go after shave 6, that could mean less than 10 or more than 10. And single edge blades, as has been said, can easily go longer for me.

Reactions: bjm

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hi,

How often do you change you blades?
I change between after 3-5 shaves.

//H
:eek2:
No wonder you guys need to buy so many blades.

I shave with a DE about 2-3 times a week (other days is either the straight ... haven't changed the blade yet ... or just a rest day for the face) and I change my blade once every month or two.

Month or two.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu
Top Bottom