What's new

How much $$$ is too much for a straight razor???

The question is "Is a straight razor a veblen good?". Veblen good examples are mechanical watches, fountain pens, brand names. They are goods that command a ridiculous price because owning one shows your social status and how powerful you are. Why would you pay $15,000 for a Mt Blanc fountain pen when you can use a $0.65 Bic disposable pen?

With straight razors they don't seem to fall into that category. A very small group use them and use them with different motivations (a sense of history/utility/coolness). Even amongst the community there doesn't seem to be a 'show off' element saying "look at me, look at me" I own an X razor.

There are some who own some knock out razors that would have cost a small bundle, but my sense is they aren't trying to say I'm better, rather I like this work of art.

So could a razor be a veblen good, with gold scales & diamonds on the blade? Possibly, but I think most of us would see it as a RSO and ignore it. My 2 cents worth.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
This is an interesting proposition. On one hand it is like saying how long is a piece of string. It depends on many variables. I used my straight razor for decades and it served me well. I am of the opinion that you do your research find what you like. Then work out what you can afford and go from there. I am pretty attached to my skin so when I purchased I wanted to buy the the best thing that my research showed and my wallet could afford. I have forgotten how much I spent back then but I have been very happy with what I purchased.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The question is "Is a straight razor a veblen good?". Veblen good examples are mechanical watches, fountain pens, brand names. They are goods that command a ridiculous price because owning one shows your social status and how powerful you are. Why would you pay $15,000 for a Mt Blanc fountain pen when you can use a $0.65 Bic disposable pen?

With straight razors they don't seem to fall into that category. A very small group use them and use them with different motivations (a sense of history/utility/coolness). Even amongst the community there doesn't seem to be a 'show off' element saying "look at me, look at me" I own an X razor.

There are some who own some knock out razors that would have cost a small bundle, but my sense is they aren't trying to say I'm better, rather I like this work of art.

So could a razor be a veblen good, with gold scales & diamonds on the blade? Possibly, but I think most of us would see it as a RSO and ignore it. My 2 cents worth.

Send me $15,000!

79675006-3E43-47FD-BA5F-5BB18725BB4E.jpeg

Yeah, the last twenty years have changed everything. The world of the super rich is now science ficytioik .

In a way it's like we are going back in time, back to the time of Czarist rule.

But that's a multi beer conversations, not for this forum.

I have no fountain pens or fancy watches, which is not to disparage those who care about things like that, but anyone who thinks an Iwasaki Tamahagane razor is a "Veblen good" has never shaved with one.

OK, technically, I had a couple of fountain pens, years ago, but once I realized that gel pens were actually superior to them, that was it on the fountain pens for me.

Many years ago, I picked up some Mont Blanc pens in Hong Kong. You could get them on Nathan Road for about half of what they were selling for here in the U.S. I still have them and yeah, my Zebra gel pens are better!

Many years ago, I picked up some Mont Blanc pens in Hong Kong. You could get them on Nathan Road for about half of what they were selling for here in the U.S. I still have them and yeah, my Zebra gel pens are better!

It must have been many years ago indeed. Nathan Road has not been a good source of bargains for a while now. Still fun to walk down, though, especially on a Saturday night. Bargains on cleavers and other kitchen gear are still to be found on Shanghai Street near Yau Ma Tei.

An excellent topic, though the answer(s) are ALWAYS personal. One person's too much, is not even a dent in another bank account. In fact all the other goods talked about in this thread I own much of. For me, maybe a few others, I don't feel I need a big house, just a nice place located in a nice area. That's what I have, wouldn't want more as I would stress a bit more to maintain more. That leaves a decent bit of leftover funds. I'm 43, retired from the military and have lived all over the world. I still like to travel, but not too big of a deal for me since I've traveled so much. I'm ex enlisted, but got my degrees while active duty and getting my second grad degree with my GI Bill. In short, that's not an expense and I shouldn't have a problem maintaining a decent paying job. Which leads us to the question at hand.
Whatever you can afford and not have a negative effect on yours, or your families life. No cost to tag. I just paid over $1k for Jenes damascus razors. Oh and $500 for my Koraat just yesterday. I also have IWC, Rolex, Omega, etc. Watches. And Mont Blanc pens, and tons of guns and ammo. And a paid off 2019 RAM. In short, I buy what I like, while maintaining the status quo in my house. Guaranteed if you are reading this your situation is greatly, or slightly different.

you lads are guilty over thinking this one.........but as mentioned previously highly subjective.

with this said, it has been highly entertaining to watch.

the wife and I returned from a nice lodge this afternoon after a much long overdue and needed reprieve from our professional lives.

for me.......to sum up in short......what I thought in the beginning has vastly changed from what I presently think. a natural evolution id think.

ther are no right or wrong answers
.......speak from the heart.

in the end, its all in the eye of the beholder.

thank you all, keep kindly posting more thoughts!!!!!

camo

It must have been many years ago indeed. Nathan Road has not been a good source of bargains for a while now. Still fun to walk down, though, especially on a Saturday night. Bargains on cleavers and other kitchen gear are still to be found on Shanghai Street near Yau Ma Tei.
I was there twice in the 1990s. Back then it was only small shops, like we had in lower Manhattan. It is much more modern looking now, with many tall buildings.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I'm retired and have a dubious life expectancy. Problem.
Unfortunately I am in the same boat so you have my sympathy. I had a stroke which resulted in pacemaker being inserted after the operation an X-rays which discovered that I had a form of untreatable cancer.

I lost my job, had to downsize my home and my daughter who is a teenager had to move from private to pubic school. Not having too many options I was forced to take early retirement.

I foolishly had not made provisions for my future. Within a few months my circumstances had totally changed for the worst. I sank into deep depression losing my way with everything that happened. Time has passed and I am hanging in. There are good days and bad, I try to make the best out of a bad situation that is unresolvable.

I feel for you situation and wish you all the best as we journey together.

I deeply appreciate your situation and in light of it your empathy. My dubious forward-looking view, expressed in an regrettably flippant way, is taken primarily from a dreadful family history (including the loss of three immediate family members in the last year - none of them Covid related) more than any specific concerns. Of course having said that I'm aware that I've invited an asteroid strike on my house, because that's the way things seem to go lately. Again with the jokes. :(

In all honesty I have taken considerable comfort in this new hobby and the virtual company of the many fine folk who participate on B&B, yourself being an upstanding example. That's a long way of saying that some thriftiness I might otherwise exercise seems to have been relaxed somewhat by feelings of mortality, such that what I might spend today is perhaps somewhat more than I would have a year ago. I'm sure I'll come to my senses eventually, but meantime … uh, I'm still waiting on some incoming razors.

That is a 2 part question: functionally or as art?

As a functional item, I'd say around 100 to 250 because that is about what a Ralf aust goes for and to me that is to me like a standard for modern handmade manufacturing.

Above that it's less about the functionality because at that point is should be considered a given, and more about the aesthetics, the reputation of the maker and the materials used.

And that last part is purely eye of the beholder realm.

Top Bottom