What's new

How much $$$ did you invest in the shave den?

Probably around $300-400 in the past 2 months. But now I have enough stuff to get me through awhile without having to purchase anything else.

These numbers are frightening. I'm just getting started, and my wife thought I was crazy for spending $130 on my first order.

I have no doubt it'll be worth it in the end - those Fusions were just getting too damned expensive.

Hmm...

Razor/brush/stand : $80 shipped
Soap: $3
VDH shave kit $10 (bought for bowl as it was cheapest bowl, and I now have a spare brush and soap)
Witch Hazel: $3
Aftershave: $2
Blade sampler $20

Total: $118 USD.

Not bad...Could have bought 6 months worth of Fusion cartridges with that, and I will have enough razors for a year! Never enjoyed cartridge razors anyway, unpleasant experience. I might go check out the local antique store today, they used to have a few old Gillette DE razors at good prices... :)

I've invented money, but no one's ever accepted it as payment. :lol:

Not a whole lot, but in restoring a brush, I've probably spent as much as I would just buying one. I think I've invested about $50.

Shave den? Probably in the neighborhood of $200 since May.

me gusta

I dont know if this thread already post in the past , I started 2 months ago and so far when i look at my shave den , have already spend $500, whats your den worth.. don't be shy tell me the truth:hand:

ray

A few years ago it would have exceeded a couple grand, I was selling some old stuff on eBay to pay for it and was learning alot. These days Ive gone cost moderate, everything I use day to day plus reserves probably a couple hundred.

These numbers are frightening. I'm just getting started, and my wife thought I was crazy for spending $130 on my first order.

I have no doubt it'll be worth it in the end - those Fusions were just getting too damned expensive.

Yeah...Honestly...Getting into this for the cost thing might not be a good route to go...At least if you are the least bit interested in the "hobby." I did it for cost...Up until a few weeks ago I was good and hitting well below the break even point for this vs cartridges last year...Then...Straight razors.

If you can go through a few razors, find one kind you really like and then stick to that one for the rest of your life...Awesome, good for you. Same goes for the soaps, creams and aftershaves...If you can find your "signature" scent and just use one or two, you are set, no worries about money.

But if, like me, you like to try new things and find some stuff that you can rotated based on your mood, you are SoL. It is all over but the spending. I guess I should admit I have a problem by saying that I just started three months ago and I just hit the 1000 mark for spending. Now that said, this is brushes, razors, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, etc. but still...No saving there lol. I also should admit that some of the dollars have been PIF'ed away (I almost want to subtract those dollars cause they went to a better cause lol). But in the end, I am still going through a lot of different soaps, creams and aftershaves right now...And I am about to start really going hardcore into some DE's (I really want to try an Aristocrat...And if I like it I will have to have one that is in perfect condition with it's case).

Seriously though, to save money, all you need to do is calculate out how much you were spending per month on carts and then spend less than that. Easier said than done, but once I find all of the stuff I really want to use on a regular basis I think it shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom