What's new

What are the better economical shave mugs these days?

I got this one from a local version of the Dollar Tree - it has hammered dimples which lather up very nicely. It is on the lighter side in weight, so I have to be careful my brushes don´t knock it over, but I usually use my Proraso shave bowl for that - or I face lather.

An apothecary-style mug and an Old Spice mug - if you want either or both, just let me know and they're yours. That's about as economical as it gets. :smile1:
IMG_4503.JPG

AnimalCatcher has made this week an awesome one!

Both mugs arrived safe and sound and I look forward to breaking them in over the weekend. He was also kind enough to include some unexpected goodies that simply blew me away! "Not to look a gift horse in the mouth" but, the first bubble wrap I opened was a Gold Gillette Tech in really good shape! 😍 I'm not normally a Gold Razor person but, that one is simply stunning and keeps calling to me! And, this wasn't the only nice razor included.

Simply awesome!

AnimalCatcher has made this week an awesome one!

Both mugs arrived safe and sound and I look forward to breaking them in over the weekend. He was also kind enough to include some unexpected goodies that simply blew me away! "Not to look a gift horse in the mouth" but, the first bubble wrap I opened was a Gold Gillette Tech in really good shape! 😍 I'm not normally a Gold Razor person but, that one is simply stunning and keeps calling to me! And, this wasn't the only nice razor included.

Simply awesome!
I'm glad everything arrived safe and sound and that you're happy with what I sent to you. Enjoy, my friend.

I got this one from a local version of the Dollar Tree - it has hammered dimples which lather up very nicely. It is on the lighter side in weight, so I have to be careful my brushes don´t knock it over, but I usually use my Proraso shave bowl for that - or I face lather.

Careful with these. I would not be shocked if those dollar store bowls contained a good amount of lead.

Careful with these. I would not be shocked if those dollar store bowls contained a good amount of lead.
O wow really? I was under the impression that this was stainless steel…fortunately I face lather most of the time these days but good to keep an eye on. Or maybe not use anymore and stick with my plastic ones (although there are side benefits there too I imagine).

And I have my enamel lather cups too.

You can test pottery and stoneware for lead. Red colors are the worst but, I don't have a lot of trust in China-produced products generally. Seriously, any nation that would allow Melamine poisoning of infants isn't going to care about foreigners' lead exposure.

I believe selling lead in products is actually forbidden in the Netherlands - but I don’t have a chemical lab in my backyard to counter test my made up shaving bowl.

I believe selling lead in products is actually forbidden in the Netherlands - but I don’t have a chemical lab in my backyard to counter test my made up shaving bowl.
Lead isn't really legal anywhere where it could harm people in the Western world generally. Lead in glazes are generally from China but, Italy has had some in the past too with their Red glazes.

Lead test kits are pretty easy to buy for a few dollars if you want to test that new Chinese soup tureen for Easter.

Lead-based solders previously used in copper plumbing has minimal risk but, is generally banned today. Lead water pipes are pretty rare in most places today as well though, in both of these applications water isn't generally corrosive so the risk of leaching is minimal generally.

Legacy problems though surface occasionally like what was seen in Flint, Michigan and some older USA schools which can be problematic with some water sources.

Generally with the banning of leaded gasoline, legacy paint chips are most problematic in the USA but, water contamination seems to crop up occasionally with older public schools.

Cookware and pottery seem to be most recognized as a potential problem due to acidic foods they are exposed too. Various fruits, tomatoes, vinegar, and other things can leach lead from glazes used in cookware and tableware.

I find a plastic salsa bowl to be the perfect size and texture for lathering. And they are only a buck or two at the Dollar store or Walmart.

I have a Timeless bowl I really like. But, for a long time I used the small plastic bowl that I got from KFC, that held either mashed potatoes or coleslaw (not that it matters). They are easy to travel with, have a nice lid, and work well (and I enjoy those dishes, too - so win/win).

FWIW, I tried several mugs, bowls etc. and as much as I'm a "retro" kind of guy, I could not make a decent lather with any of them. I finally broke down and bought one of those Timeless Razor bowls (mine is white) and have been very pleased with it. A good amount of lather requires very little soap or time. Inexpensive, easy to clean, made in USA and unbreakable.

I once had a very fancy ceramic shave bowl, given to me as a present. Turns out that soap and water tend to make ceramics slippery. One day the bowl hit the floor and exploded into many sharp fragments, tons of fun to deal with when barefoot. I replaced it with a plastic/rubber mug much like shown in posts #16 and #18 above, could not be happier.

Top Bottom