What's new

How Many Shaves

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Well, the week began by wiping the silicone oil off the Sub Cero, giving it a light stropping, then shave #151. I’ve been testing stones and tomo nagura since August 3, and figured it might be good to give a whirl since I’ve been shaving with a lot of fresh, smooth edges.

It did well, about like I remembered it shaving. I had extra beard this morning which usually translates to less smoothness, but the SC performed well for 151 shaves. Certainly not as smooth as fresh, but still a very competent in-shave experience and the result was fine.

Post shave stropping was 35 Latvian linen and 85 roo.

CE6EB104-57AB-4B3F-9C5A-8B38F673476C.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve56

Shave 153 today. and I’m making an executive decision to call it done. The edge still shaves well enough, but it’s lost enough closeness and smoothness to be close to the point where I ended my other edge longevity tests. I gave it a few extra shaves just the be sure, and a Filly 14 can shave better than this one is. Still, quite the run and a darned impressive piece of steel!

DCC94A04-CE39-4586-A726-2C64D805F202.jpeg

Shave 153 today. and I’m making an executive decision to call it done. The edge still shaves well enough, but it’s lost enough closeness and smoothness to be close to the point where I ended my other edge longevity tests. I gave it a few extra shaves just the be sure, and a Filly 14 can shave better than this one is. Still, quite the run and a darned impressive piece of steel!

View attachment 1153891

Wow, that’s awesome! Amazing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

View attachment 1153891
I understand your feelings. I had to do similar with my un-stropped SR yesterday after just 22 shaves. That SR of mine was still shaving smooth and comfortable, just noticeably not as close the others in my M7+1DS that were stopped before each shave.

Must be something to do with the way the planets are aligned.

Steve56

It’s ready for the next 150 shaves, lol. I reset the bevels with a Shapton Glass HR 4k, followed by a SG HC 6k, then jnat. I probably could have reset the bevel with the 6k but the 4k is fast and excels at light bevel work on full hollows.

A977B15F-90B2-486F-9C12-C3ABF7B54819.jpeg

Top Bottom