What's new

How Many Shaves

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
At this point we are getting an interesting comparison of secondary effectiveness, even if it is only a sample size of one. Interesting!

I thought it might be easier to tell a difference with an edge near the end of its useful life, and maybe it is. I think that the next few shaves might shed some light on that.

If the Latvian linen and roo are doing better on an older edge, then the next question is why? Is the Latvian linen more abrasive or is it the thinness and flexibility of both the Latvian linen and roo.

BTW Victor, I have a piece of poly firehose since we last talked. It doesn’t lay flat even after ironing it, and the tubular nature also makes the surface curved side to side. I’ll be testing this on other razors, but when the Filly is truly ‘done’, I’ll try it on this poly before refinishing the edge. Any idea how many strokes for a ‘needy’ edge?

Steve56

Another question is the roo leather, is it different WRT to the leather itself? Horses and cows were related in the past (millions of years ago), but a kangaroo is a different animal altogether. Does the roo leather produce different results? We all seem to agree that the difference to the edge with commonly encountered strop leathers (cow, buffalo, horse) are not much if any.

I sent a piece of roo to Nick @njtnjt to try out and he seems to be liking it so far.

Maybe @Tony Miller would know?

I thought it might be easier to tell a difference with an edge near the end of its useful life, and maybe it is. I think that the next few shaves might shed some light on that.
I agree with this, it is easier to determine effectiveness with an edge that is 'just' off.
If the Latvian linen and roo are doing better on an older edge, then the next question is why? Is the Latvian linen more abrasive or is it the thinness and flexibility of both the Latvian linen and roo.
My take is that it is the higher silica content of linen over the Kanayama cotton
BTW Victor, I have a piece of poly firehose since we last talked. It doesn’t lay flat even after ironing it, and the tubular nature also makes the surface curved side to side. I’ll be testing this on other razors, but when the Filly is truly ‘done’, I’ll try it on this poly before refinishing the edge. Any idea how many strokes for a ‘needy’ edge?
That doesn't sound anything like the polyester fire hose that I'm using, so I don't know. On the polyester that I'm using, I use 3 laps for normal maintenance followed by 55 on boar hide after each shave, and 8 laps if the edge feels a bit off.

Another question is the roo leather, is it different WRT to the leather itself? Horses and cows were related in the past (millions of years ago), but a kangaroo is a different animal altogether. Does the roo leather produce different results? We all seem to agree that the difference to the edge with commonly encountered strop leathers (cow, buffalo, horse) are not much if any.

I sent a piece of roo to Nick @njtnjt to try out and he seems to be liking it so far.

Maybe @Tony Miller would know?
Hey Steve ~ I am loving the roo strop. I haven’t decided if my success with it is the ease of use or the leather itself. It is a very different kind of surface texture compared to horse or cow,... love the feedback, draw and thinness. Am getting stellar performance vs my Kanoyama. Your edge longevity experiment may give us more information to make a judgement.

Steve56

Shave #140 this Sunday morning, the Latvian linen and roo seem to be working. There was a little resistance (but no tugging, or reluctance to cut) on the first pass on about 28 hours of beard, the second pass felt normal and the shave was excellent. Post shave stropping was 40 Latvian linen and 100 roo.

DC684C69-0F29-44FA-87EB-3D00DE1BFB22.jpeg

Steve56

#141.... Post shave stropping the same as last time.

After #142, I’m going to try the Latvian linen with the Kanoyama cordovan to see if there’s a difference in the leathers - which I do not expect to see.

Last edited:

Steve56

#142, shave was excellent. Now going to 40 Latvian linen and 100 Kanoyama cordovan to try and see if the roo or the linen was making the difference. I suspect the linen, but that’s why we test.

Steve56

#143, not much if any change, post-shave stropping the same, 40 Latvian linen and 100 cordovan.

Steve56

#144 and I’m reasonably sure that the Latvian linen has been doing really well. The edge is holding up better vs the canvas and cordovan. I deviated from my usual Santa Mariah Novella to try out the newly acquired vintage Yardley. It still had a tiny bit of lavender scent left - but not much - and the SMN lavanda AS made the perfect compliment. I can see how Yardley got its rep, it would have been head and shoulders above what was available at the time that it was sold. But there are plenty of soaps that are as good today, ABC, SMN, MdC, Valobra, etc.

Post shave stropping, 40 Latvian linen and 100 Kanoyama cordovan.

E2740254-FEDC-409C-81B4-5B88E98B4292.jpeg

Steve56

Shave #145, the edge is still excellent. I’m a dozen beyond what Alfredo did with his vintage TI, but I am also using fabric/linen where he did not IIRC, he used Kanoyama suede and cordovan only IIRC.

This isn’t really surprising, Iwasaki said in his book chapter for barbers that use of linen would make an edge last longer than leather only, and could bring back an edge that was falling off. That’s exactly what I’ve experienced. It will be interesting to see how much further it will go, but I can tell you that the edge is seems stable and its shaving very well after adding the Latvian linen after each shave.

I’ve used the Latvian linen with both roo and Kanoyama cordovan, and based on limited use, cannot tell a difference between the roo and cordovan. I can tell a difference between the Latvian linen and the Kanoyama canvas, with the linen doing better, again based on limited use.

The linen is definitely working, but if you add 20-40 linen every shave for 145 shaves, you will probably spend as much time stropping on linen than touching the edge up once in a while, lol.

43D85502-100A-4C5D-9110-870838B9AC45.jpeg

Steve56

#147 this morning, going back to roo leather after the next shave. The Latvian linen + Kanoyama cordovan seems to perform as well or nearly as well as the LL + roo, but let’s see what develops.

A couple of things seem to be established from this thread, one that a razor’s edge can last a very long tome with only stropping to maintain it - Alfredo and others originally thought they’d get maybe 10 shaves and that TI edge went for 133 with only leather. Second, linen (fabric secondary) extends the life of the edge. Not really a surprise, Iwasaki said as much.

This is an interesting experiment, but both Alfredo and I hone a good bit, so it’s mostly to satisfy curiosity, we can refinish an edge any time. But for someone that has 2-3 razors and sends them out for honing, getting over 100 shaves out of an edge has some practical and financial aspects to it too.

Last edited:

Steve56

#148, Post shave stropping back to roo.

I’m planning on taking a break at 150, putting a little silicone oil on the bevel, and enjoying some different razors for a while. I’ve tried to wear that edge out, but it’s worn me out instead, lol! I’ll get back to it in a couple of weeks, but 2 more shaves to get to 150.

#148, Post shave stropping back to roo.

I’m planning on taking a break at 150, putting a little silicone oil on the bevel, and enjoying some different razors for a while. I’ve tried to wear that edge out, but it’s worn me out instead, lol! I’ll get back to it in a couple of weeks, but 2 more shaves to get to 150.

I feel this. My original plan was to use the TI exclusively, that got old very quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve56

#149 and the edge is fine. Back to roo for the leather.... One more shave and I’ll take a break.

Steve56

Shave #150 and I’m hitting pause for a while to get back to other razors. It’s been stropped 40 Latvian Linen and 100 roo, and when it’s dried a little more it will get a little silicone oil on the bevel.

I’ll get back to it in a couple of weeks, maybe at the old 30% pace that I used most of the test rather than the 3-4 in a row that I was using testing secondary strop components. I’ll be sticking eith the Latvian linen and either the roo or Kanoyama cordovan from here on out.

The shave is good, smooth and close - not as smooth or close as a fresh jnat edge, but hey, its been 420+ days since it was honed and 150 shaves.

375 passes on the face,
15,000 on the strops,

And stil shaving well.

Top Bottom