What's new

How many safety razors in your regular rotation?

It would be great to hear from everyone who has a set rotation of razors. How many do you like using in your rotation? If your up to it, it will be good to hear which razors too. I like the idea of going to just 4 razors. The gillette old style- thin head, gillette new style long tooth, a gem micromatic, and a super speed. My other razors, I will pick one once in a while, at leisure.

I own six razors but only three are in my rotation: Progress (soon to be a Mergress), FB, and Slim Adjustable. My rotation is to start with a fresh blade in a razor and continue using that razor until the blade needs to be changes - usually between 3 to 5 shaves. When I change my razor I also change my brush (I have four brushes in my rotation).

Two. A Pils SS and a Joris lined.

I do have a #58 that I use as a travel razor, but not in my regular rotation.

Total: 3 razors.

I have eight razors- a Parker 65R, Gillette Tech, 40s Superspeed, Slim, New, HD Rocket and Diplomat and a Gem Featherweight. I use the Tech when I travel but not when home. The Parker and Gem see limited use. The SS is clearly my favorite and probably gets used about three times a week. The Rocket, New, Diplomat and Slim split the rest of the time.

I don't really understand the concept of razor rotation... I have a Fat Handle Tech, a Super Speed, and as of this week a Merkur Futur. By leaps and bounds the Futur is my favorite. I can see using one of the others for traveling, but I can't see switching out just for the heck of it. The matter of fact, if I continue to like the Futur as much as I have so far, I will be donating the others to a n00b.

Mike

I have been using my Merkur 33c exclusively since I gifted my slim adjustable to my uncle. Right now I am waiting for my slant to arrive -- at which time I hope to make that my go-to instrument.

I have about 30 razors but only use about 4/5 of them regularly. Those would be a Ball End Tech, Lord Smart, Gillette New, EJ87 and rarely a Fatboy.

The rest just set there for me to admire and that's ok. But I probably should cull the herd and let someone else enjoy them.

I am lucky to have space to line up some items, so I have a bit of a system :001_rolle
My rotation usually is three razors, of which:

- One open comb
- One closed comb, vintage
- One closed comb, modern

So this week:
- New
- Superspeed
- Muhle R106

Then on the brushes;
- One boar
- One badger

This week it is
- New Forest
- Semogue Limited 2009

And for the soap;
- A glycerine soap
- A tallow soap
- A cream

I try to have a variety of scents; so if the glycerine is a fresh modern scent such as Mama Bear Caribbean, I'll also have a MWF or a Prairie Creations Rose at hand.
If on the other hand I use TGQ Savon de Campagne, I might try Prairie Creations' Tranquillity.

That way I can make a lot of exciting combinations at the last moment, according to the spirit of the moment.
It might be a classic Badger - Chypre Roses - Fatboy (and then English Fern) or a sporty, casual Boar - Muhle Sea Buckthorn - Muhle R41 (and then some Floid) shave of the day.

I admit it is not a rigid system, though.
Once in a while I get inspired and just grab some stuff to my liking and have fun.
:001_smile

I have five right now, but only three in active rotation:

Feather Stainless, Merkur Futur and EJ Chatsworth (faux ivory handle). I have a gold plated HD, but I find the handle too short for my liking, and a Muhle R106, again, just doesn't do it for me, a YMMV sort of thing. So the last two, after being bought in the last month, are going to the sales board in the catch-and-release spirit. I am very likely going to add a Pils to this rota as well.

Chris

Currently in my rotation I use five razors a Gillette Red Tip, GEM Feather Weight, Gillette S.A short handle, Schick E Type, and British made Tech from the 60's.

Right now I'm using:
Merkur Futur, Red Tip, Brit. Aristocrat Jr, Parat.

I shelved my Fat Boy and Slim a while ago and haven't even thought about them.... hmmm...

I have four in my rotation: Old Type, New Type, Merkur 1904 Open Comb, and an Ever-Ready 1912. I also have three other straight bar DE razors. I stopped using them after I discovered I really, really like open comb razors. I might PIF or sell them. I haven't decided yet.

I have seven, but three in rotation-Progress, 40's superspeed, and red tip. The others will end up on B/S/T in the near future. Hope to get a Slant, and have the Progress made into a Mergress. Have narrowed the blades to 2. I think that this will be it for me, as my RAD is now in abeyance.

Top Bottom