What's new

How Many People Have Asked This Same Question ??

I've read the threads, really, but still am very confused or just bitten by the "Bug". I head shave with the Leaf Shave Razor (and Remington Electric Boss). I face shave with both a restored Gillette Fatbot and a Slim. So I think I'm covered with the adjustable part of this "sickness". But I am still searching for a cost effective medium aggression DE for face. It doesn't have to be vintage. I like them on the hefty side. Bring on the recommendations and please tell me why you made that choice. SORRY to ask this question as a newbie here, but value the knowledge you all have !! Thanks in advance.

I would suggest the karve overlander. It is mild and has an efficiency that I consider acceptable. It is available in various metal so you can chose between different weight.

I'm curious: Many find that the vintage Gillette adjustables you have are quite nice razors. Are they not working for you, or are you just looking to try something different? There are a lot of choices, of course, but it would be helpful to know more about your preferences and also a rough idea of your budget.

I'm curious: Many find that the vintage Gillette adjustables you have are quite nice razors. Are they not working for you, or are you just looking to try something different? There are a lot of choices, of course, but it would be helpful to know more about your preferences and also a rough idea of your budget.
Great questions! Yes, the Fatboy and Slim work fine. Just looking to add a non-adjustable or as you said, "try something different". Budget, around $100, + or - Thanks for asking the clarifying questions!

Timeless Aluminum - $50 for a CNC machined razor. Also if it matters to you, it’s made in the US. Amazing razor imo.

Karve Bison - the cheapest Karve available. It’s the only Karve I have so I can’t compare it Karve’s other offerings.

Comparing these two though, finding the angle on the Bison is much easier. Both are smooth but the Timeless has some slight blade feel. The Bison essentially locks the angle in whereas the Timeless you’re going to spend a little bit of time to find. Efficiency is about the same for both. Both are built great but the Karve has a slight edge in build quality but shavewise I prefer the Timeless I think.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The Fatip Grande has been my choice for a gentle, efficient razor lately. The Fatip il Grosso has the same razor head, weighs more, and doesn’t cost too much more. A Pearl Blaze or Pearl Hammer would probably be even better for a medium efficient or high efficient razor with heft, but I never tried them

Bottom line DE Shavers available in 2023, is Hugh, the consumer has many choices. It is almost like going to local Super Market in AZ Called AJ's Fine Foods, the choice of Beer is so many. Choice is a good thing, if you build a GREAT PRODUCT at Fair Price e with Good Support & Warranty you will have customers.

The Slim and Fatboy are fine razors, of course, but they are mild even at their highest settings. Mild compared to what is available today.

So why then get something new that is along the same lines, or even milder?

Why not get something that is radically different? Challenging, even? Most of mine are adjustables, but you seem to be signaling for a 2 or 3 piece.

Okay...Rex Supply Envoy. A bit beyond $100, but aggressive (so I've heard) and I think visually appealing.
51FmmY+T6oL.jpg

I don't have one. I do have have one of these Yaqi Bohemia models.
20240106_081627~2.jpg

It is certainly different.

There are a number of choices. Here are a few stainless steel razors under $100 US that I have personally used:
  • Razorock Lupo - This one has several baseplate blade gap choices, from 0.58mm to 1.27mm (italianbarber.com)
  • Razorock Gamechanger - This is another one that has a number of fans. A bit less expensive than the Lupo. I personally prefer the Lupo but there are others who prefer the Gamechanger.
  • Yates Winning or Merica (yatesprecision.com) - The Winning head design is a little bit like the Henson, and the Merica leans a little more toward a more "traditional" DE razor design
In brass under $100, I also like the Pearl Blaze, although I don't prefer the stock handle (I use a handle I got from maggardrazors.com with it).

OK, so do I go with the RazoRock Game Changer .68-P Double-Edge Razor and have ability to use sharper blades or the .84 with ability to use milder blades?

I'm ready to order (Italian Barber) ....would love to hear some opinions !

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
As mentioned above the Pearl hammer may be a good one to try. Made from CNC coated solid brass, and comes with OC and SB plates and is a nice and heavy razor.

Top Bottom