What's new

Facial Hair Type

Good day all!
Sorry for asking such an obscure question (I’m still floundering in the shallow end of the pool). Lately, I have been reading about and exploring a number of different blades. I ran across a passage that mentioned “hair type” – coarse, tough, fine, thin, etc. I have done a number of googles, but generally come up with shapes and styles of beards.

I have developed my technique so that I mostly get a good shave with a single WTG pass and a few clean up strokes - not searching a BBS yet.

With the wealth of knowledge here, I am hoping that someone will clarify these terms and lead me to information on determining what type of facial hair I have. I thought it might help me better understand “face mapping” and lead to better shaves.

Or maybe I am overthinking again.

Thanks

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Facial hair falls within a range from peach fuzz to copper wire. As far as I know, there’s no official scale or methods to measure it. It’s all based on opinion in how particular hair falls within that range.

Welcome aboard!

There are so many variables in ‘traditional’ wet shaving. IMO, it is most productive to focus on variables that you can change, such as a blade or soap!

I have blonde hair on my upper lip that is very difficult to remove at all, and especially difficult to remove without damaging skin.

I have a dense goatee that was once red, but turned white before I was 30. This is difficult to remove but the skin is alright unless I get 2 or 3 things wrong.

I have some thin dense brown hair on my sideburns that isn't much trouble.

I have some medium density coarse hair on my cheeks and neck that is fairly normal in terms of management. Like a lit of middle aged guys, the looser skin on my neck is more difficult to get smooth and more difficult not to damage.

There is another type on my lower lip, blonde, but less dense than the upper lip and easy to manage.

Virtually anything works well on the cheeks, lowe lip and sideburns.

Most things work on the neck and chin with care and good technique. Some things work well.

Very few things work well on the upper lip. I haven't found anything that works well consistently. Hopefully I can sort it put over the next year or so. It is what mainly drives my quest.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There is no objective scale. Razors and blades come in different levels of aggressiveness and sharpness. There are some advantages to using only what you need - if a relatively dull blade (none are really dull) does a good job on your beard it's a great choice. The only way to find out is to try a bunch. Some shavers have such tough beard hair that they can only use Feather blades and only get one shave from each blade. From your description it doesn't sound like you're in that camp.

I find the best way to map your face is to stroke it with my fingers before shaving. The direction that provides the roughest, most uncomfortable sensation on the skin of your fingers will probably be ATG. If you're happy with your shaves now I wouldn't give it a lot of thought. The traditional 3 pass shave is WTG, XTG and ATG - which doesn't work for everyone and is certainly not a requirement. You sound like you're doing fine.

My Beard has change with age, color, thickness, and how it grows.

Think your beard is unique to each person.

Only think that has not change is I use my Surgical Tweezers less to pull what I call WIDE ONES. Two Beard hair grown out of same spot on skin.

I know I have one because of discomfort. Pull the Thicker one is good feeling. Pain disappears.

There is no objective scale. Razors and blades come in different levels of aggressiveness and sharpness. There are some advantages to using only what you need - if a relatively dull blade (none are really dull) does a good job on your beard it's a great choice. The only way to find out is to try a bunch. Some shavers have such tough beard hair that they can only use Feather blades and only get one shave from each blade. From your description it doesn't sound like you're in that camp.

I find the best way to map your face is to stroke it with my fingers before shaving. The direction that provides the roughest, most uncomfortable sensation on the skin of your fingers will probably be ATG. If you're happy with your shaves now I wouldn't give it a lot of thought. The traditional 3 pass shave is WTG, XTG and ATG - which doesn't work for everyone and is certainly not a requirement. You sound like you're doing fine.
Thank you!

Top Bottom