What's new

How many cups of coffee do you drink first thing in the morning ?

I drink iced coffee or iced tea all day long at work in a 30 oz. tumbler- black and unsweetened- and then switch to water. I usually swap it up each day. So, in the morning (like right now) is a 12oz. mug of coffee just to get moving. That's it. I usually have another cup at lunch and then another cup of decaf in the evening. I'm trying to cut down on my caffeine so most of this is a "half caff" mix. Even the iced tea, and I hate the decaf tea I can get locally.

But, for the actual morning- just the one mug.

I have been through several different routines, all trying to control the hit from the caffeine. The oldest one, when I was still running was to start out with tea first and it turns out I have kind of gone full circle! The thing is, if you hydrate first thing in the morning and drink regular coffee, it’s kind of a waste due to the diuretic effect. Also, caffeine on an empty stomach absorbs too quickly. Further, our behavior is controlled by drug dependence more than we want to admit, that have to have my first cup before I am human syndrome. Coffee is undoubtedly healthy, but caffeine is a drug and I think people should examine their habits often and ask themselves difficult questions. I personally would recommend drinking water or tea first and packing your coffee in a thermos and drinking as much as you want after you are peeing normally. The only downside is that you won’t drink as much coffee as you did previously, almost guaranteed!

At work, at least 3 cups in the morning before 11 (I can't stomach it between 11-3), and maybe a K-cup in the afternoon if I'm dragging. Black coffee always in the morning, maybe cream and sugar in the afternoon. Weekends it's 2-3 cups unless I'm driving any distance (2-3 hours), then it's maybe a half cup or a cup to take, otherwise I run the risk of hitting traffic... I'm not sensitive, I can drink it before bedtime and still sleep like a baby.

Top Bottom