What's new

How long will a safety razor last

How long can a Zamak razor last?

Same razor, six years later, three years as "daily driver" and exclusive razor:
proxy.php

I am not a fan of Zamak, but decided to use this one until rot takes it away from me.
And yes, I have several R89/DE89 stashed away. For me, the razor that has the best value, delivering best shaves I have ever had. Zamak or not.

Some great info here. Thanks guys.

I very much prefer the idea of lasting quality. But I see the value of the cast razors also. So I may bear this in mind for future purchases. Try to stick to brass, or stainless where possible. I figure on shaving for another 30-50 years God willing. I'd like to be using the same razors I acquire now, then if possible.
The value of cast razors is cost. It allows them to offer a razor at a cheap price. Back when the old vintage Gillettes were new, they were an expensive purchase, probably equal to any of the stainless razors of today.

The value of cast razors is cost. It allows them to offer a razor at a cheap price. Back when the old vintage Gillettes were new, they were an expensive purchase, probably equal to any of the stainless razors of today.

Indeed. Technology has allowed things previously not possible. As cnc becomes more compact and affordable I imagine we will see stainless and brass razors become even more affordable. As well as some innovative designs. Also we haven't seen the exotic crucible alloys yet in wet shaving razors like we have in custom knives etc... Those will allow cast or machining processes, using alloys with previously unseen durability and or corrosion resistance. Talonite or H1 razor anyone?

Maybe soon we will even see a tungsten carbide razor perhaps. Idk why, but I'm sure folks will buy it if it's good. China vanities the world over will be running in fear.

Indeed. Technology has allowed things previously not possible. As cnc becomes more compact and affordable I imagine we will see stainless and brass razors become even more affordable. As well as some innovative designs. Also we haven't seen the exotic crucible alloys yet in wet shaving razors like we have in custom knives etc... Those will allow cast or machining processes, using alloys with previously unseen durability and or corrosion resistance. Talonite or H1 razor anyone?

Maybe soon we will even see a tungsten carbide razor perhaps. Idk why, but I'm sure folks will buy it if it's good. China vanities the world over will be running in fear.

Very true. The possibilities are certainly endless. On a side note, if someone makes a razor out of H1, I'll shave with it underwater :laugh:.

Some great info here. Thanks guys.

I very much prefer the idea of lasting quality. But I see the value of the cast razors also. So I may bear this in mind for future purchases. Try to stick to brass, or stainless where possible. I figure on shaving for another 30-50 years God willing. I'd like to be using the same razors I acquire now, then if possible.

The inexpensive zamac razors ($10ish) will allow you to try different types of razors (blade gaps, tto, 3-piece, closed combs, open combs, aggressive, mild, etc.); thus giving you an idea of your own personal preference before spending big bucks, or give you the opportunity to wait until you find the perfect vintage razor.

Any vintage razor should last several lifetimes if cared for properly. A lot of them are 50+ years old and are still going strong.
Stainless should last forever too. Really the only ones to worry about are the zamac because they are typically cheaply made and of poor construction. Drop them once and the you run the risk of the head snapping off. The difference is that the vintage razors were stamped, whereas a lot of the newer zamac ones are cast, which makes them very brittle.

My birth year Fatboy and I are going on 58 years strong!

I have an ABC Old Style from 1912, so they can go for quite awhile. That said, I think any decent razor, ZAMAK, brass, stainless, or Expensivium properly cared for, will last you for the rest of your life.

You will get quite a few years out of any Razor, zamack or otherwise, if you treat them with the same care you would give a precision instrument. keep it clean, keep it dry and don't drop it. I bought a Merkur 23C as my first razor when I started DE shaving about 6 years ago, used it every three days for a year and a half, and eventually passed it on to my girlfriend who is still using it now and it has no issues; putting aside any drop damage I wouldn't be surprised to see ten. In addition I have several RR examples that are between four and a half to two years old and ranging from $12 to $30 CAD (excluding the MJ-90), all in great shape so far. I would say that's a fairly decent life span in and of itself considering the price point, and if you then consider what is available for considerably less you simply can't complain even if it were to rot away. Personally, I worry less about the life span of a zamack razor or what could happen if I dropped it, and simply enjoy the very affordable shave they provide. The other plus being since they are so cheap you can buy many different types to try and get a general feel for a design type. As is common knowledge any older brass razor that's still around will likely remain that way with proper care.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a plastic razor that's 25 years old. If my metal DE razors only last 10 years, I'd be happy. I'm sure I'll fumble something before then though. I don't expect a razor to last forever, any more than I do a comb or hairbrush.

I do have hollow ground vintage razors stemming back 80 years or whatever, but they lasted that long because they weren't being used everyday. So long as I feel that i've had my moneys worth out of it before it expires, whether it be vintage or bought new, that will do for me

Excellent thread! As you can see, a lot depends on the particular razor and how it is cared for. My razors will outlast me, that's for sure!

My Edwin Jagger DE89 had to be retired today after 5 years of usage, twice or thrice a week. The threading in the handle seems to be the problem, and the cap does not screw on with all the 3 pieces. The razor is regularly cleaned, so I don’t see any muck etc. accumulated on the threads in the cap. However cleaning the female threading in the handle has always been a challenge. The handle fell down once or twice, and I may have slightly overtightened once while loading the razor, but apart from this the razor is in mint condition. I am not sure if there has been a misalignment in the threads...

Had to order my replacement DE89 today.

I have the Merkur Barberpole, but I find it just too heavy.

Cheers,
Amit

So what is the limitation? Is it the threads wearing, damage through accidents, or something else?

I've only seen thread wear mentioned in pot metal razors. Accidents can damage any razor, regardless of its metal. From what I've read here, these two reasons seem the most common.

Hello,

from my own experience the most annoying defects:

Zamak - fine, until it starts to rot, but you can't even guess wether it will rot or not at all. If dropped, has a good chance of cracking/spalling. Threads can wear out.

Thin head three piece brass - threads can wear out if regularly overthigtened, bit difficult to repair. Thin headed examples tend to deform the base plate if the cap edges are deformed. Bent corner teeth are a rather easy fix.

Thick head three piece brass - if dropped corner teeth will bend invard, tough to repair. If the tooth is broken, it can be welded back, but not the cheapest option. Threads can wear out.

Adam
I bought an Old Type on ebay for $13 that has a corner tooth bent inward, no doubt from dropping, as you say, though that appears to have no effect on how it shaves, at least not that I can tell. I did the same thing a year ago to my zamac Merkur 34C, causing the tip of one corner of the safety bar to flatten out, but the chrome coating doesn't appear compromised. And I can attest that even stainless steel will get scratched and gouged with use. So cosmetic blemishes will happen, but those don't necessarily impact functionality or longevity. I do believe in taking the razor apart and drying it after each use.

I've only seen thread wear mentioned in pot metal razors. Accidents can damage any razor, regardless of its metal. From what I've read here, these two reasons seem the most common.

It's definitely true that the threads on any razor can be damaged, but it's far more likely with Zamac or aluminum. The brinell hardness gives some indication as to how resistant to damage the threads are going to be.

Brinell Hardness:
Zamac: 82
Aluminum: 100
Brass: 200
316L: 212

Granted, any threads can be ruined by cross-threading, but it's a heck of a lot harder to cross-thread stainless than it is to cross thread soft zamac or aluminum, not least because the machining is generally better to begin with. Unlike the other alloys above, sometimes the zamac just rots away all by itself due to prolonged exposure to moisture.

I'm not knocking zamac; most of my razors are zamac. Good zamac will last many, many decades. Zamac with lead impurities in the zinc will only last a few years if not kept dry and in a non-humid environment. If I were a betting man, I'd always bet on Gillette zamac or Muhle zamac over the zamac in a $5.00 chinese razor.

Top Bottom