What's new

How I Started On A Safety-Razor

Hi There,

I came across safety razor a few weeks ago. I am from India and here is my shaving journey :

:HOW I ARRIVED HERE:

Personally, over the last 20+ years, I have used:
  • Gillette Mach 3
  • Gillette Mach 3 Start
  • Gillette Guard
  • Gillette Guard 3
  • Gillette Vector
  • Gillette Presto
  • Gillette 7'O Clock P2 (Amazon India Link)
  • Supermax Elegance 4
  • Supermax 3 Hattrick (Amazon India Link)
  • Supermax SMX3
  • Supermax 3
  • Laser Control 3
  • Laser Sport 3 (Amazon India Link)
And I never got a shave without an irritation. I always hated that burning sensation.

Many years ago I tried my father's safety razor, some metal one with a short handle and it cut me at 6 places on my face, 2 of those cuts spilled good amount of blood. So never tried a safety razor after that. But that was a long time back.

As per the list, Mach 3 is the mildest of them all (unless I got 4 days of beard, then Mach3 gives cuts and nicks). I still need 2 passes with it and irritation never goes away even if I do one pass. Out of skin irritation, I started searching for a better aftershave. Yes, I searched for a better aftershave instead of a razor because my reasoning was: since I got the best razor of all, Mach3, shaving must be an irritating and burning thing for skin. You are rubbing a blade against the skin several time and hence if the best of the best can't help it, it 's just how it is then.

So, while searching for a better aftershave, I learned about marketing campaigns of cartridge companies and their profits from it and the recycling problems of the cartridges. I read a lot for whole week.

:WHAT I LEARNED:

I gather this much knowledge.

Cartridge shaving means:
  • quick shave without much nicks and cuts
  • requires no skill, not much of a learning curve
  • an unclean and irritating skin
  • no BBS shave
  • person finds shaving boring, as an extra unnecessary part of the daily routine ( hey, that's me :) )
  • can spend a lot of money on cartridges (this is not me ;-) )
  • at the lowest level of Eco-friendliness
Safety razor generally means:
  • not quick like cartridge
  • needs more skill
  • bigger learning curve
  • cleaner and less irritating skin
  • BBS shave
  • you begin to like shaving as a good thing
  • lists on the top of Eco-friendly materials
  • 10 times more economical

If one is getting nicks/cuts using a razor then there are only 3 reasons:
  1. a low-quality razor
  2. a low quality blade
  3. skill in using it
So, many years ago I must have cut/nicked my face because of reason #1 and #3. I learned about open-comb, closed-comb, and hybrid razors, and then there are 2/3 pieces and Twist-To-Open/Butterfly type too. I found an Indian subreddit where I got some good quality suggestions for an open-comb mild razor. There were actually many kinds, mild, aggressive, highly aggressive etc :
And many more.

:WHAT I BOUGHT:

Mach3 blades were costing a lot to me for I get a hard/thick beard. e.g. Gillette Guard can only do 1 shave (2-pass) for me. On 2nd shave 2nd pass, blade becomes blunt to give me nicks at several places, not to mention a lot of irritation where I have to use aftershave several times a day to sooth it.

Romer 7 Ricardo is mild open-comb razor and is quite a steal for the price. I can spend a lot of money (think $10 :) ). Also, I shave sometimes everyday, but sometimes after 3-4 days. So, an OC safety razor made sense to me. So, I ordered a Romer 7 Ricardo for $3 from Flipkart.com (will share pics soon). Sometimes I shave 3 days in a row. So for that I also got these 2 super-cheap safety-razors offline, Permasharp ($0.5) is plastic while Sterling's ($1.25) handle is plastic but head is metal (don't know what metal). Then I got myself a straight razor too for $2. Will post the experience soon:

gillette-sterling.jpg
gillette-green.jpg
ustraa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your journey. I don't think you mentioned the type of lather you are using. I would suggest looking into a brush and a good soap or cream if you have not done so yet. It makes a hugh difference!

Welcome, glad you've joined! I enjoyed your post, thank you for sharing your thoughts. You're on the right path, continue enjoying your shaves!

Ah the supermax Elegance 4, the first razor I ever bought and the first I ever shaved with... It's available here in the UK for basically nothing (£1.29 or 129 Rupee)

The Gillette 7 O'clock sterling version is an amazing razor, great pickup. Its based on the old Gillette tech and is one of my favourite razors of all time and gives me an amazing shave. My only 2 issues are that the handle is awful (cheap plastic crap, replaced it within a day with a handle off a different razor) and the blade it came with didn't work great for me

Welcome to the B&B community. I’d look into the Pearl Flexi, since you are in India. It looks like you’ve found some of their other razors already.
I did check it out and it's rather quite expensive. More than 100 times of the Gillete Permasharp green razor I posted. Way out of budget. Also, check this out:

IMG_20230116_153556_282.jpg
IMG_20230116_153726_161.jpg

IMG_20230121_145036_283.jpg
IMG_20230121_145049_277.jpg

Got these shaving brushes from Rubab men. Orange one is called Firefly while the other is called Hornet:
  • Synthetic hair quality is same: both are super soft and not one hair has come out
  • Hornet has larger capacity to hold water
  • Firefly is lighter and hence easier to hold for longer periods (which is important for making lather)
  • Firefly is 1/2 cm shorter but it feels like it has denser collection of hair.
Hornet's hair feel less dense but longer than Firefly. Personally, I liked Firefly.

Wow! A 35 rupee safety razor.

The Sterling razor sells for the exact same price in the USA ($1.29). I actually don't mind that razor, but it feels like every corner that could be cut with it did. I didn't even think they could get that design down to 50 cents. Guess the plastic head makes the difference.

The Sterling one is very aggressive and comes with sharp blades, so keep a light touch! Go slow and be gentle with it, and it will blow your Mach 3 away.

Wow! A 35 rupee safety razor.

The Sterling razor sells for the exact same price in the USA ($1.29). I actually don't mind that razor, but it feels like every corner that could be cut with it did. I didn't even think they could get that design down to 50 cents. Guess the plastic head makes the difference.

The Sterling one is very aggressive and comes with sharp blades, so keep a light touch! Go slow and be gentle with it, and it will blow your Mach 3 away.

You are right, Sterling is pretty aggressive. Not only they cut corners, its corners cut my face too :c1:

My only quibble with green plastic razor is, its handle is too short at 3". I hold it almost close to its base-plate. Good thing is its pretty mild and short handle gives full-control of its movement. Sterling is one of the the longest handle length razors in India I guess. Gonna try it one more time. BTW, I just received my Romer 7 Ricardo:

IMG_20230118_200836_446.jpg
IMG_20230114_114200_284.jpg

IMG_20230114_114215_347.jpg

Last edited:
How did it go with the Romer?

It came out to be very, very aggressive. I am experimenting with blades and I tested both Gillette Permasharp and LASER Stainless with Romer. Permasharp felt like has a rough/uneven sharpness whereas LASER Stainless felt like totally dull. I tested LASER Stainless blade with all the razors.
IMG_20230205_150446_568.jpg

There are blades known to go well with very aggressive razors. Will use them in coming weeks with both Gillette and Romer and post it here.

Top Bottom