What's new

How long does your SR shave take you?

I just timed mine this evening. Face only: two passes in just under 6 mins with clean up (washing, drying, putting away gear and splash of witch hazel).

I don't mind dragging it out to 15-20 mins on the weekend with three passes and layers of aftershaves etc...

About 25 minutes, but I'm less than 60 shaves in, and I used to take almost 20 for my DE shaves.
I don't like to rush any kind of shave unless I must.

About 25 minutes, but I'm less than 60 shaves in, and I used to take almost 20 for my DE shaves.
I don't like to rush any kind of shave unless I must.
I find this fascinating. I am less than 20 shaves in and feel like I've taken to it quite well, however, I've shaved over a thousand times with a cartridge and STILL cannot shave well with one, except for the Gillette Guard. Also, I could never get the Gillette Super Speed to play nicely while seemingly everyone on this forum seems to love it from the very first shave.

I find this fascinating. I am less than 20 shaves in and feel like I've taken to it quite well, however, I've shaved over a thousand times with a cartridge and STILL cannot shave well with one, except for the Gillette Guard. Also, I could never get the Gillette Super Speed to play nicely while seemingly everyone on this forum seems to love it from the very first shave.
OH yea, for me it's not about time necesarily but, as an example: there's one spot on my chin (or rather the jawline) where I have a scar from years back. It still CAN and DOES bleed if I'm careless with a blade on that spot. With a cartridge for example forget it, I'm either not shaving the whole area around the scar (obviously the scar itself is hairless), leaving a spot with visibly extra hair OR it's bleeding at least a bit. With the Straight, I use the heel and toe to shave that spot and be sure to NOT hit the small portion of sensetive skin, no bleeding but smooth shave there too!

I'd be curious if those of you who use an SR daily are in the 10-minute range or if that is just pushing things too much with an SR.
This morning, I timed my shave to get you some real numbers. Using Proraso White, it took 90 seconds from the time the brush hit the soap till the blade hit my face, and then the shave itself, 3 full passes with touch-ups, took 3:30. I used a Universal full-DE blade shavette, but I am still very tentative with this razor because (a) it's new and I have minimal experience with DE shavettes, and (b) it bites more than a real straight. I was in no way rushing, or even shaving quickly; just my normal pace or maybe even a bit slower. Today was my 151st SR shave.

I read accounts of people being amazed when they hear someone takes 8-10 minutes to shave, and I can't possibly fathom how people shave so slowly. The only explanation is that I take very long strokes, and never buff. I have a mustache and small goatee, so maybe add a minute to my times if I were to shave my mustache and goatee. Note, my goatee is very small and does not connect to my mustache, so it doesn't take up a whole lot or area. It's literally just the front of my chin, nothing under the chin, and not a biker circle beard that covers 30% of my face.

BTW, how are you getting along with the AutoStrop I sent you last year?

Just timed my shave. Started timer when I started to apply lather on my face and did 2 passes and stopped timer after I did last stroke with straight razor and it was 6min50sec

Looks like it's time for me to pick up the SR a bit more often - if 10-15minutes is attainable, I'm in. I do enjoy SR shaving, I just can't deal with 45 minutes per shave on an on-going base.

Totally depends on the goal. If I have a project out in the shop that I am anxious to get to I can knock it out in less than 10 minutes, but then I only get to enjoy it for ten minutes. Most of the time I like to take my time and treat myself. It is cheap luxury to use my scuttle to heat my lather, build a super creamy lather and brush it in for a good long time. Feel each pass carefully and evaluate the edge. Then the soothing alum block tightening my skin. Finally my choice of aftershave for the day. Speed has its time and place, but most of the time I like to slow down and enjoy the moment.

I just timed mine this evening. Face only: two passes in just under 6 mins with clean up (washing, drying, putting away gear and splash of witch hazel).

I don't mind dragging it out to 15-20 mins on the weekend with three passes and layers of aftershaves etc...

It takes me longer than that to remember where I stashed all my gear :blush:.
For me it just depends on what I'm doing, where I'm going and how much time I have. I can do a fairly quick 2 pass shave and have a SAS or DFS if I need to be somewhere but I prefer to take my time and enjoy the experience of a good BBS 3 pass shave. Add in stropping before and after the shave, putting away all the gear, I'd estimate around 20 to 30 minutes, maybe 10 minutes if I'm in a rush.

OH yea, for me it's not about time necesarily but, as an example: there's one spot on my chin (or rather the jawline) where I have a scar from years back. It still CAN and DOES bleed if I'm careless with a blade on that spot. With a cartridge for example forget it, I'm either not shaving the whole area around the scar (obviously the scar itself is hairless), leaving a spot with visibly extra hair OR it's bleeding at least a bit. With the Straight, I use the heel and toe to shave that spot and be sure to NOT hit the small portion of sensetive skin, no bleeding but smooth shave there too!
There's a right tool for everything! :)

For stropping, lathering, 2 passes, and clean-up, I'm at about 12 minutes now. Probably about 30 minutes just for the shave when I started a few years ago.

A 2 pass dfs in about 6 minutes. If I go 3 another 3 or so. Not including stropping(a minute or so) and prep for me is a shower. I soak the brush while I'm showering too.

Ahhh... it occurs to me that since I use a Feather SS, I don't spend any time stropping. I just load the blade and go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom