What's new

How long does your SR shave take you?

I realize that for many, shaving is all about the zen of it, but I'm curious how fast a good SR shave can be if you need to be in a bit of a hurry.

I'm admittedly slow with an SR - takes me about 45 minutes for a shave, whereas with a DE I'm around 4 minutes.

I'd be curious if those of you who use an SR daily are in the 10-minute range or if that is just pushing things too much with an SR.

I realize that for many, shaving is all about the zen of it, but I'm curious how fast a good SR shave can be if you need to be in a bit of a hurry.

I'm admittedly slow with an SR - takes me about 45 minutes for a shave, whereas with a DE I'm around 4 minutes.

I'd be curious if those of you who use an SR daily are in the 10-minute range or if that is just pushing things too much with an SR.
I wouldn't call myself extremely experienced with an SR but I find I can do a 3 pass in around 15 min. I can now do AGT on my upper lip in that time.

Just keep practicing and your speed will improve along with your technique.

I've never timed my shaves, but I think I get 2 passes done in about 10 mins, not including shower prep, stropping, cleanup, etc.

Jesus christ you guys are fast. I'm now down to about 45mins-1hr. I mainly know because I usually have some music or video in the background (so I know how many songs I've gone through, etc). I generally don't do a full ATG pass, sometimes ATG in a few key places like the cheek and the upper lip. And because my passes take so long each "pass" is usually 2 or 3 part-passes (i.e. i have to reapply the lather part way through a full pass, in areas that still have lather/haven't shaved yet, every 10 minutes or so as the lather dries up completely and falls off like dried chalk).

P.S: this is actually a big problem, the whole "part pass" thing really messes with the logistics and flow of the whole pass, but I don't know any other way as my house is just that dry.

Jesus christ you guys are fast. I'm now down to about 45mins-1hr. I mainly know because I usually have some music or video in the background (so I know how many songs I've gone through, etc). I generally don't do a full ATG pass, sometimes ATG in a few key places like the cheek and the upper lip. And because my passes take so long each "pass" is usually 2 or 3 part-passes (i.e. i have to reapply the lather part way through a full pass, in areas that still have lather/haven't shaved yet, every 10 minutes or so as the lather dries up completely and falls off like dried chalk).

P.S: this is actually a big problem, the whole "part pass" thing really messes with the logistics and flow of the whole pass, but I don't know any other way as my house is just that dry.
Why don't you just lather the area you're shaving? That way you don't waste soap and it won't dry out.

Why don't you just lather the area you're shaving? That way you don't waste soap and it won't dry out.
Yea, I do that sometimes, but the other way helps me keep track of where I've gone vs not gone (i.e. the 'clean' areas, are done for this pass). I know it's silly, but I avoid wasting as much cream as possible by not using too much lather to do the "rewetting" just a wet brush with a teeny bit of lather...it's more of a 'rewetting'.

This also helps because I'm still only about 10 shaves in so haven't settled on a pattern for my shaves yet, if that makes sense.

This also helps because I'm still only about 10 shaves in so haven't settled on a pattern for my shaves yet, if that makes sense.
When I started I had note cards for each pass and took about 45-50 minutes for a 3 pass shave. Coming up on five years, a three pass shave takes me about 15 minutes without hurrying.

When I started I had note cards for each pass and took about 45-50 minutes for a 3 pass shave. Coming up on five years, a three pass shave takes me about 15 minutes without hurrying.
OH, LOL. That makes me feel a lot better. Still, can't imagine doing a full shave in 15 minutes..wow.

Three pass plus touch up around 15 minutes, this includes cleanup.
Speed will come with time. I still feel I am taking my time and enjoying it.

How can you possible drag a shave out to an hour? :) Are you including a shower and eating breakfast? :)

To answer your question, I take about 15 minutes. I shave with a DE most of the time and use a straight about once a week.

In the beginning it took awhile, but now I get a shower and 3 pass shave done in 30 minutes consistently. I don’t know when it started but I’ve noticed this in the past week and was surprised. I’ve only been straight shaving for 7 months but I made it a point to shave everyday and not use DE’s ever and now I never want to use a DE anyways.

I usually get it done in 8 to 10 minutes for my usual 2 and a half passes. Maybe stretch to 15 if I go for three and a cleanup.

I usually get it done in 8 to 10 minutes for my usual 2 and a half passes. Maybe stretch to 15 if I go for three and a cleanup.
So, the consensus seems to be 10-15 minutes once you're used to/know what you're doing. All in all, that's a good time for a good shave, SR or no. I mean obviously you can run through with a cartridge in like 2 minutes, but my point being: it looks to me like SR shaving isn't THAT slow, once you get used to it.

Top Bottom