What's new

How long do your shaves take?

I'm curious about how long it takes for folks here to get their shaves done. Basically I mean from the start of picking up whatever the first shave item is that you handle, to your rinse or aftershave application or whatever signals that your shave is done. If you want to include whatever equipment/general cleanup you do afterwards, please indicate that as a separate time value. This is just for fun or general interest, so you can just give a range if that's easier.

Generally I'd say from the time I pick up the brush and start loading (or putting cream in the bowl/on my face) to the the point that I towel dry and apply balm, it's probably 18-22 minutes. Equipment cleanup is probably another 4 or 5 minutes (I'm fairly meticulous and thorough about rinsing my brushes). A particularly fast shave for me is around 14-16 minutes; in the past I've clocked around 11-12 a couple times(a freakin' miracle).

I timed it last week, it took 12 minutes. DE, 2 passes+buffing, including lathering and extremely quick cleaning, excluding wetting the face. So more or less your criteria. I 'll do it again today and this time measure each step. My guess is 4 minutes lathering, 30s cleaning, the rest for the actual shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
From walking to bathroom and leaving, it's 25-45 minutes. I start with a shower and finish when the safety razor is washed out, dried, and put away. Trying to get that down to 10-15…

Starting with washing my face and head to cleaning equipment: 20 minutes for shaving face and neck and 10 minutes for my head.

Mine usually takes close to an hour, but I trim my beard, trim and shape my eyebrows, trim nose hair, ear hair, etc, then knock down the hair on my head with my clippers, then shave my head, shave my neck, and line my beard and sideburns up/shave upper cheeks shape my mustache with my straight. It's an involved process [emoji23] but one of my jobs is bartending at a local bar/restaurant/concert venue and as the only guy bartender keeping up that appearance so I can work the female customers boosts my tips.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I shave in the evening as a rule. 20 minutes or so: soaking the brush while washing my face, about five minutes for loading and building lather directly on my face. Two passes usually, plus nape. Not rushing, deliberately going slow.
On a good days I do the extended routine with proper face scrub and wash and hot towel - then it's more like half an hour. Speaking of which - today is good day methinks.

I haven't timed myself in a long time but:

I warm my lather bowl/soak brush in a sink full of warm water before stepping into the shower. This is not included in my shaving time. After the shower I pick up the brush and bowl, give the brush a shake and start loading. From this moment until aftershave application following 3 passes, 12-15 minutes, not rushing. If I only do 2 passes and i'm using a cream that I can get to lather quicker than a soap, probably sub-10 minutes easy just based off of looking at my phone before and after.

Depends on what I use. I shave face, head and some spaces below. Still not able to do the back of my head with shavette or SR, so need to use two tools sometimes. I can do a sub 10 minutes shave with Gillette Guard or mach 3. 15 to 20 minutes with DE or SE, 20 with shavette or around 25 to 30 minutes with a straight. I mostly change my setup every day. If pressed for time I choose something quicker, if I have enough time I tend to go the shavette or SR route.

br
godek

About 15-17 minutes with a straight and 10-15 minutes with a DE. I have a mustache, so there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to do all in the steam sauna
Including 5 min breathing excercises while the pre shave softens my beard and brushing my teeth
Depending season some nose netipot shower
About 15-25 min if not rushed
Rushed in 10-15

Proraso cream
Distilled water
Edwin jagger DE89

StartEndDuration
001:071:07Bowl lather
1:071:500:43Face lather
1:505:353:45First shaving pass
5:356:170:42Second face lather
6:179:433:26Second shaving pass
9:4310:340:51dry face, rince brush, rince bowl

55 seconds to remove an old blade, dispose of it, unwrap a new one, put it in the razor.
Add one minute if I feel the need for touch-ups and roughly 30 seconds when I use after-shave balm.

The result is definetly NOT BBS.

At night, no shower. 25 minutes for three passes. Lather in bowl while pre shave does its thing. Brush soaks during lather. Lather between passes. Includes pat dry, finish with electric hand fan after shave prior to WH, after WH pat dry and finish with electric hand fan. AS. Dry on its own. AS Balm on face. EDT or P on wrists and neck. Usually a pretty good shave

Proraso cream
Distilled water
Edwin jagger DE89

StartEndDuration
001:071:07Bowl lather
1:071:500:43Face lather
1:505:353:45First shaving pass
5:356:170:42Second face lather
6:179:433:26Second shaving pass
9:4310:340:51dry face, rince brush, rince bowl

55 seconds to remove an old blade, dispose of it, unwrap a new one, put it in the razor.
Add one minute if I feel the need for touch-ups and roughly 30 seconds when I use after-shave balm.

The result is definetly NOT BBS.

Oh that hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that hurts.
That's what she said.

More seriously, actually no: not losing time means not "over-shaving" where there is no lather, no buffing on an irritated place, and knowing that I have only two passes keeps me focused to make these passes count. It also means that I can easily find where the shave was poorly done and then think about what I should change for the next shave.

It also means that I have plenty of time even shaving daily so if I want to take more time to try a different technique then I can easily do it.

I try to be quick but not hasty.

My average 15 -- 20 minutes (counting prep, cleanup, and putting stuff away. I am retired so I am no rush to get done--and I enjoy each day's shave immensely.

Top Bottom