What's new

How long do your shaves take?

Around 8 minutes. I shave in the evening and take my time. That's with face lathering, a wtg pass, cleanup pass, and equipment clean up.

Face shave-about 15 minutes. Head shave-anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on how much time I have and how much has the hair grown from the last shave.

Funny this subject came up today as The wife asks me in a snarky tone, “Do you know how long it takes you to shave?” To which I replied, no... how long? “Twenty minutes!” So there you have it...

Sounds like my wife!

20-25 minutes seems to be the spot for me. Any less seems rushing and any more seems too indulging
I took about that long today, and that was with a hot facecloth prep, not a shower. I'm retired, so I allow myself not to hurry.

It was the "shaving to beat the clock" attitude that lured me into 1980s cartridge razors originally, once I was relatively affluent, and time-poor enough to consider them.

Ironically, hurried shaves where you get badly nicked take longer than peaceful, uneventful shaves, and yes, if your technique is bad enough, you can still shed some blood with a cart. I certainly did a few times.

Working day DE shaves will take at least 25mins including while traveling on the road. From preparation to cleaning up of all the gears.
Weekend DE shaves probably take 35mins...
Weekend SR or Shavette shaves will take at least 45mins...

The last time that we talked about this back in November, my shaves (from lathering to cleanup) took about 25-30 minutes.

In my youth, it was much quicker because I regarded shaving as a chore. But, now that I'm older, I take more time to enjoy my shaves.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
From start to finish about 15 minutes. Depends if I use a cartridge razor as I do one pass less with a cartridge razor. 3 passes with a DE.

Funny this subject came up today as The wife asks me in a snarky tone, “Do you know how long it takes you to shave?” To which I replied, no... how long? “Twenty minutes!” So there you have it...
I too feel a sense of petty resentment floating my way on the breeze over my time spent on the morning shave. This applies to pretty much any activity I do which doesn’t involve her so I pay it no concern whatsoever and purposely try to find as many activities as I can which also don’t involve her. The more she snipes the more I’ll find. She’ll either get the message that trying to control and micro manage my life like that is counterproductive or she’ll see so little of me that I’ll effectively have gotten rid of her. Win win.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have no idea how long it takes me to shave with my SR. All I know is that it is over far sooner than I would like.

I restrict my shaves to DFS only. That way I can shave daily and sometimes even twice a day if I'm entertaining in the evening.

I for a rule shave late afternoon/evening and it includes a shower. Fastest shower+shave I can do is about 25-30 minutes. Here we are talking undressing/shower,...you get the point. And I wash my hair so there is some extra time for that and drying them
All of this can take me up to an hour but here the shower is longer, I trimm my nails etc...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Under 5mins for a simple DE shave, which might be extended to 10-15 mins if chasing perfection for an "event". A straight format (including shavette) shave might be around 10 mins.

A full-on shower and shave takes me about 30 mins. If I do a light top-up shave in the evening, that takes me around 10 mins, sometimes a little longer if I have to keep retrieving my little Beagle boy from my sock drawer.

About 10 minutes to bloom my soap puck and soak my brush while I'm in the shower. Then about 15-20 minutes to build the lather, apply it, make the needed passes, alum, clean up my mess, put my supplies away, then aftershave.

At home (usu. at night, no shower): 15-20 minutes total
At gym (AM, post shower): 10-12 minutes total
Face lathering and 2-2.5 passes

I will stretch my home shaves to 30 minutes if I really do not want to deal with whatever BS is going on outside my bathroom. Exception was this Saturday, when I found my car had been broken into via smashed passenger-side window. I broke out the hot towel for the first time in well over a year and exceeded 45 minutes start to finish.

I've been timing my shaves since I started 3017ing, and my average daily shave takes about 14:30. I'd guess the breakdown is about this:

0:00 - 0:45 : get gear out (get brush from shelf and put in mug with water, get strop from shelf and hang, get razor/soap/aftershave from cabinet)
0:45 - 1:30: load
1:30 - 3:30: face lather
3:30 - 4:45: warm strop up and strop on leather
4:45 - 5:30: touch lather up
5:30 - 9:30: do first past
9:30 - 11:00: relather jawline to sideburns, do XTG or ATG half-pass
11:00 - 11:30: rinse face
11:30 - 12:00: strop on cotton and put razor/strop away
12:00 - 12:30: apply aftershave
12:30 - 14:30: clean brush, put away brush/mug/soap

Top Bottom