What's new

How long do you you load your MDC?

what is your prefered load time with MDC?

• 10 seconds

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • 20 seconds

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • 30 seconds

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • 40 seconds

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • 'Till the cows come home......I hate this stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
8 to 10 swirls per shave about 10 seconds with the scrubby brushes I use...after i used it here and there for awhile I did 6 months straight thru and had about a 1/4 jar left. 2 pass on cheeks and neck... 3 pass on upper/lower lip and chin. One of the best for me on how many swirls it takes to load the brush.

Ive owned my original 200g jar for almost 1.5 years. I used it probably 33% of the time (i shave every day) for about the first 9 months and have used it daily for the last 9 months. I still have probably 20% of the jar left. I load between 10 and 20 seconds. I cant imagine how you could use it up in 3 months unless you're using a steel wool brush to shave with.

I load about 50 light swirls which takes between 30 and 40 seconds. I have the 130g size in the le canele glass bowl. I’m just seeing a dent in the top after 24 shaves. My goal is not to make this soap last but to enjoy it yet I wouldn’t be surprised to get more than 300 shave which would get me close to 500 shaves if it were the 200g size. When I hear or read about people finishing a tub in less than a month, the cost of MdC is far more economical. I wouldn’t mind paying a premium for a premium product but in the case of MdC based on the number of uses I am not paying a premium price.

I know the thread title says MDC....we are all talking about Martin de Candre shaving soap right? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a 200g jar could only last 3 months...

Make that just under 4 months. Looked back to refresh my memory!
They do have a 50g size. Is that the size you had?

1620957277312.png

I can't imagine loading MdC for more than 10 sec.. I think my average is around 5 sec. With a short load like this, it can still take A LOT of water. (I do lightly bloom the soap for around 20-30 sec) Excellent value!

Depends on the brush. It usually doesn't take more than 10 secs with a synthetic but I will have to load around 20-30 secs with my dense badgers.

There must be some massive batch variation or some people have ultra soft water.

I was burning through my brain bowl very quickly.

Mdc is a hot process soap. It doesn’t last that long. I’m not sure how the myth started.

Something like pre de Provence or tabac will last 5 times longer than mdc.

No sir! 200g jar from Planète Rasoir in Paris. 120 fine shaves!

This strikes me as I recall you’ve had 70+ shaves with a 50g la Toja Stick, right? Something just doesn’t add up to me

I load MDC for 15-20 seconds. Even with my Chubbies and Omega Pros. Only other soaps I can load that little time are La Toja stick (mashed into a bowl) and Castle Forbes. Others like Tabac, Proraso, MWF, Valobra, Cella I load 30-35 seconds

from the soaps I’ve finished, my average usage is 1.2-1.3g per shave. I expect MDC to be closer to 0.8-1.0g per shave

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I picked the lowest number, but I never load for 10 seconds, more like 6.

There are a few variables that make this less than useful information:
1. My water
2. My brush
3. How much or little water I leave in my brush
4. How quickly I swirl the brush on the puck
5. How much pressure I use on the puck (related to #3)
6. How much lather I have left after the shave

A jar of MdC lasts me 13 months of daily 3 pass shaves. I use what I believe is a normal amount of lather. Some people go much longer, but I suspect they like thinner lather than I do.

I can't even imagine how I'd go through a jar in 4 months - something very different going on there.

Top Bottom