What's new

How do you zone out?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good for you my friend. Enjoy one of the best places on Earth.
Finally found a place this late in the game. A lot of people seem to have the same idea. Arrive Saturday October 19th, leave on Tuesday. Will probably spin up to Missouri one day to add to the list.

That's a really good point, and the involvement of news networks and their reporters/presenters in social media also adds fuel to the fire, because a more dramatic story means more engagement. On top of that there's the age/perception factor. I've got vivid memories of being at my grandparents as a young kid, hearing them moaning about how the world's gone crazy and thinking "eh ? what are they on about?". Now I'm the one doing the same moaning about the state of things.

All that said I still genuinely do think the world IS getting crazier by the minute, which brings us back to the zoning out thing, because worrying about it won't change anything :)
Im not sure if its that the world is getting crazier or its just that we have technology now that lets us broadcast to the world what we are thinking/doing every moment of every day. Back in the old days, people kept their crazy more to themselves. LOL

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Im not sure if its that the world is getting crazier or its just that we have technology now that lets us broadcast to the world what we are thinking/doing every moment of every day. Back in the old days, people kept their crazy more to themselves. LOL
I was about to argue with you, because I think we are as Merle Haggard said "rollin' downhill like a snowball headed for h*ll", when I realized, "I post crap on B&B that removes all doubt that I'm crazier than bat guano!" Every. Stinkin'. Day!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One only has to watch the evening news to see the world is crazy and getting crazier. How do you zone out or recharge your spirit, mind and body? For me it is working in the woods, spending time with family, or painting. How do you zone out?

Usually with music. Still, once a year I need to go someplace like below.

This from a Moose hunt in Northern Ontario. It was so quiet the sound of the snow falling was deafening. 30 minutes was all it took.

bridge west snowin800x600.JPG

This, Long Beach at Tofino on Vancouver Island BC. That took an hour. The sunset was worth it.

Long Beach Tofino BC.jpg

Most recently, here, at the mouth of the Old Woman river, in Lake Superior Provincial Park Ontario last May. I was there 4 days, but it only took 20 minutes.

IMG_3090.jpg

Time in a remote location such as those and my world returns to its center. This is something I've done my entire life. It always involves water.

FarmerTan

Usually with music. Still, once a year I need to go someplace like below.

This from a Moose hunt in Northern Ontario. It was so quiet the sound of the snow falling was deafening. 30 minutes was all it took.

View attachment 1021616

This, Long Beach at Tofino on Vancouver Island BC. That took an hour. The sunset was worth it.

View attachment 1021617

Most recently, here, at the mouth of the Old Woman river, in Lake Superior Provincial Park Ontario last May. I was there 4 days, but it only took 20 minutes.

View attachment 1021621

Time in a remote location such as those and my world returns to its center. This is something I've done my entire life. It always involves water.
Beautiful. I do plan on day camping this winter in my woods. 5 minute hike and I may as well be 1000 miles from any other human.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Beautiful. I do plan on day camping this winter in my woods. 5 minute hike and I may as well be 1000 miles from any other human.

My camping is done in motels these days lol. The last time I camped in a tent, was here. Thats around 15 hours north of International Falls Minnesota and about as remote as it gets.

Image-03.JPG

We used to see more satellites in the sky than airplanes, if you can see them through the northern lights that is.

When I need to get away, its away from humanity to reconnect with what we're all a part of, nature. The more remote the better for me.

The mouth of Horseshoe Lake on the Pipestone River. Camp was 5 miles downriver.

Back to camp, Pipestone River.JPG

When we started out of the lake, just downstream of where the island is, I saw what I thought were two Caribou on a sand bar just out of frame on the right. When we got there and had a look, all that was there were wolf tracks as big as my hand.

Its that kind of remoteness I've always sought. The more remote and wild, the better my connection to nature.

FarmerTan

My camping is done in motels these days lol. The last time I camped in a tent, was here. Thats around 15 hours north of International Falls Minnesota and about as remote as it gets.

View attachment 1021668

We used to see more satellites in the sky than airplanes, if you can see them through the northern lights that is.

When I need to get away, its away from humanity to reconnect with what we're all a part of, nature. The more remote the better for me.

The mouth of Horseshoe Lake on the Pipestone River. Camp was 5 miles downriver.

View attachment 1021669

When we started out of the lake, just downstream of where the island is, I saw what I thought were two Caribou on a sand bar just out of frame on the right. When we got there and had a look, all that was there were wolf tracks as big as my hand.

Its that kind of remoteness I've always sought. The more remote and wild, the better my connection to nature.
I live surrounded by coyotes, wolves obviously are hundreds of miles away from me.

To see wolf tracks would be so cool and frightening at the same time.

We raise chickens, so they bring in lots of predators, lol, so I see all I want. Summer here is muggy and mosquito infested. That's why I'm thinking of getting a camp site set up in the woods. I figure since I'm not a bear, I can walk back to the house to poop, and walk back out and fry eggs on the fire, and just try to get back in touch with my more primitive me.

But oh yes, my days of real camping involve a motel room on the way the resort!

Dave

As often as I can, I get out to the local mountain bike trails that mostly follow the Brazos River. Alternatively, I post to internet forums.
EFFECTS.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
To see wolf tracks would be so cool and frightening at the same time.

Those wolves were huge. A Caribou isnt a small animal, larger than a big deer, and the wolves appeared as big as one at 300 yards. In all our trips up there though, we never heard any and those were the only two we saw.

Our first trip up there was the best. There was a family of River Otters that lived just down river from where we camped and we used to feed them the carcasses from the fish we caught. There was even a Bald Eagle that would dive down and grab a filleted carcass 10 feet from us if we left one on the boulder for him.

The Whiskey Jacks, Canadian Gray Jays, would land on the plate in your lap while you were eating. We had to wave them away like flies after a while. They really liked the crust from a poptart too lol.

Whiskey Jack.jpg

It was so cold that morning when we got out of our tents we had to get in the truck to get warm. Labour Day weekend 1995. There was a 1/4" of ice on the water 4 feet out from shore and we were sleeping on the ground, we didnt even have mats. I was much younger then haha.

The truck in the background was a group of four from Illinois. The were there the previous July with large group and camped where we were. They had 16 bears through camp and had to shoot one. We only saw one bear and that was half way up river to the lake. Despite that section of the river being in Pipestone River Provincial Park, guns are restricted in provincial parks, the game warden told me when I called before our first trip "Do not come without a gun."

We went there for quite a few years. That group from Illinois was there every year and leaving two days after we arrived. There was a couple from California that arrived a day or two before us every year and set up their 5th wheel in the next camping area upriver from us. They stayed for the entire month of September every year then headed south to winter in Florida.

Good times spent up there, I really miss it. I dont miss sleeping on the cold hard ground though.

Great Photos @ Esox!

Thanks.

Here are three more from Vancouver Island. I really enjoyed the month I spent there. All nice spots to sit and just 'be'.

Radar Hill BC.

Radar Hill, Vancouver Island.JPG

Port Alberni BC. Looking west.

Port Alberni, west view.JPG

Looking east. The city of Port Alberni is a couple miles around the bend to the left.

Port Alberni, east view.JPG

FarmerTan

Beautiful photos, and stories of connection with strangers over nature. It is amazing to me how our ancestors would feel about our idea of "roughing it" for rest and relaxation!

As to my day camping: it will probably be me sitting too close to the fire, stretching my legs out, and catching the soles of my boots on fire.

Yes, in my younger and alcohol induced aided days that happened all too often. I now call it giving myself a hot foot. Or feet?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Beautiful photos, and stories of connection with strangers over nature. It is amazing to me how our ancestors would feel about our idea of "roughing it" for rest and relaxation!

As to my day camping: it will probably be me sitting too close to the fire, stretching my legs out, and catching the soles of my boots on fire.

Yes, in my younger and alcohol induced aided days that happened all too often. I now call it giving myself a hot foot. Or feet?

Crawl out of a small two man tent after 10 days in northern Ontario in September or October and you look and feel just like a caveman must have lol.

Ahhhh, melted Vibram soles. Memories lol.

I gotta say, that looks more appealing these days than this, even if we did have a wood stove inside lol.

camp snow.jpg

You young whipper snappers! Snow never looks great! Now, get off my lawn (but leave your ATVs)!!!

hahaha, c’mon skiing in Austria!? And then riding snowmobiles! Ugh, that’s a holiday! Truth be told, snow is cool anywhere except where you live, work and play!
6D04F25D-4BEB-492F-8E9F-ACCABA158084.jpegDB968289-01B4-4614-9665-FEBD31E8B212.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That snow looks great BUT you had me at ATV!!

This was the afternoon before.

camp.jpg

75 degrees and clear skies. A storm blew in that night, it went down to -18C and we had 6" of snow. I'm glad we had a face cord of wood stacked inside that tent lol.

The creek I posted a picture of above is a rocks throw away on the other side of the tent. I was standing on the far side of the bridge on the logging road when I took it. That creek feeds into a small lake just out of frame to the right of the tent.

ATV's and Moose dont always go together well lol. The guy I was hunting with was going about 40mph down that logging road on his way back to camp and a cow Moose ran across the road right in front of him in the dark, he had to take the ditch or hit the Moose. He took the ditch and didnt know it was a 10 foot drop onto granite until he got there. He was okay, a little bruised up, but the frame on the Honda Foreman was broken in two places.

75f to 0f hahaha, that’s a good time with a hoodie and probably just some leather fun gloves for the ATV! You guys had that fire blazing! I had to look closely at the image, I was like, What tent? That’s just a blue ikea bag shanty with some string, lol.

Mother Nature took a swing at you boys that day! 75 degree drop, 6’ of snow and a Moose!? I would have taken the ditch too, I’m not messing with no Moose. Even the small ones are as big as cars

..speaking of moose’s, meet Miles, he lives in my bathroom, lol

6543B690-88AA-4D18-B7AC-582A67E3B1A2.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thats a 12x14 foot Woods canvas wall tent with 4 foot walls and the opening for the stove pipe on the back wall so a tarp can cover it. The canvas is waxed but snow sticks to it. It slides right off the poly tarp though. The frame is made from 1 1/2" ID threaded electrical conduit then we cut a ridge pole to support the tarp in front over the cooking area supported at the end with squaw poles. I dug a trench around the outside and buried the flaps to keep the ground inside dry.

Wood stacked against the back wall, a table, chairs, cots. Myles would be proud lol. If I have to camp these days, thats how I'd do it. -18C outside and warm as toast inside. No more sleeping on the ground in small tents for me lol.

Top Bottom