What's new

How do you zone out?

One only has to watch the evening news to see the world is crazy and getting crazier. How do you zone out or recharge your spirit, mind and body? For me it is working in the woods, spending time with family, or painting. How do you zone out?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
  • Walking my dog
  • Reading a book
  • Meditation/Calm music

Other things as well. Let's say Zoning out so you can zone in later.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It's easy...I just walk out the back door.

1569548701319.png

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Exercising in some manner (even just taking a walk), cooking, watching baseball, spending time with my wife and family and friends, listening to music, playing the occasional computer game (Battletech, at the moment), and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I volunteer at a local dog shelter walking dogs who are awaiting adoption. The dogs always calm me down if I'm anxious and lift my mood of I'm having a rough day. They are just so sweet and loveable, and they hold no grudges, despite how tough their lives might've been in the past.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's easy...I just walk out the back door.

View attachment 1020359
You dress like me when I visit my chickens!
I volunteer at a local dog shelter walking dogs who are awaiting adoption. The dogs always calm me down if I'm anxious and lift my mood of I'm having a rough day. They are just so sweet and loveable, and they hold no grudges, despite how tough their lives might've been in the past.

Good for you! I can feel my blood pressure lower when I pet my rescue cats. (They both rescued me.)

You dress like me when I visit my chickens!

Good for you! I can feel my blood pressure lower when I pet my rescue cats. (They both rescued me.)
That's awesome! [emoji4] I'm so glad you adopted your cats. What colour are they? Are they boys, girls or one of each?

FarmerTan

I just realized that I don't make time to zone out. I used to oil paint. That would help me 20+ years ago. Plan to learn how to water color.
When my health allowed, construction projects did it. Me and a friend of mine will be shoring up the back porch next week. The homestead is debt free but beginning to show its age as much as I am, so I will be mostly a foreman. He's smarter than me anyway, by tons. Plus my lovely War Department listens to my doctors more than I do, and seems convinced that I may hurt or kill myself by being stubborn.
I miss the days when heart attacks killed us stupid men. Now we take pills and live too long. Now I'm just a wise azz old man with useless advice that the youngsters think is humorous. Sure sign that you've out lived your usefulness is when all you can do is give advice and can't put anything you've learned into practice, lol!

Bible reading with meditation, and spending time in prayer for other’s needs, kiting or skateboarding, lawn work, bicycle rides, turning the compost pile, growing things, deadheading, working on the car (installing upgrades/waxing/etc), finding something I can do to help a neighbor, atlatl, viewing old movies on TCM.

When I need a full on immune system, body and mind, and spiritual reboot, I do an extended water or juice fast. Makes me feel like a new person.

These are de-stressors, but if I understand your meaning of “zoning out”, I think they apply. I find them all relaxing...even the ones with physical exertion.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

That's awesome! [emoji4] I'm so glad you adopted your cats. What colour are they? Are they boys, girls or one of each?

One of each, both were hand raised by yours truly. Bottle fed. Oldest is a male, half cat, half Satan, lol. I love him. Walks like a Tiger. Loves to chase snowballs. Mostly white, with orange ears and tail. Regal acting, no sense of humor. He saved me from my self.
A year later my son found the second one in the grass. Female. She's a calico female ragdoll. Flops down in front of you when you are carrying something in an attempt to kill you by tripping over her. I figure even cats need a hobby.
Life would be easier without them somedays, but much more boring. The boy is a great mouser, and when you live in the sticks, heat with wood, and are a retired gentleman farmer, you have mice.
The female is mostly decoration. We have a deal. Whichever of us dies first becomes a rug.

I just realized that I don't make time to zone out. I used to oil paint. That would help me 20+ years ago. Plan to learn how to water color.
When my health allowed, construction projects did it. Me and a friend of mine will be shoring up the back porch next week. The homestead is debt free but beginning to show its age as much as I am, so I will be mostly a foreman. He's smarter than me anyway, by tons. Plus my lovely War Department listens to my doctors more than I do, and seems convinced that I may hurt or kill myself by being stubborn.
I miss the days when heart attacks killed us stupid men. Now we take pills and live too long. Now I'm just a wise azz old man with useless advice that the youngsters think is humorous. Sure sign that you've out lived your usefulness is when all you can do is give advice and can't put anything you've learned into practice, lol!
I disagree. I'm not a kid anymore either. I'm 50. But I consider folks who are older than me to be wiser than me. I welcome advice from older folks, since they've been there and done that, and they are able to help me to avoid mistakes and do things they've already done.

Back to the topic: I also read books (and discuss them in a book club), write in a journal (with fountain pens), and listen to music (including vinyl LPs with tube amps, both a phono preamp and a power amp). Yes, I love computers and smartphones, but I also love other old-fashioned things besides wet shaving. Sometimes newer isn't better.

One of each, both were hand raised by yours truly. Bottle fed. Oldest is a male, half cat, half Satan, lol. I love him. Walks like a Tiger. Loves to chase snowballs. Mostly white, with orange ears and tail. Regal acting, no sense of humor. He saved me from my self.
A year later my son found the second one in the grass. Female. She's a calico female ragdoll. Flops down in front of you when you are carrying something in an attempt to kill you by tripping over her. I figure even cats need a hobby.
Life would be easier without them somedays, but much more boring. The boy is a great mouser, and when you live in the sticks, heat with wood, and are a retired gentleman farmer, you have mice.
The female is mostly decoration. We have a deal. Whichever of us dies first becomes a rug.
Aww! Your cats sound like they're great, especially since each has such a different personality. [emoji4] I live in an apartment, so I can't have a dog. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to cats. However, if I ever get mice, I won't hesitate to ask my neighbours to borrow a cat. Most of my neighbours have cats.

FarmerTan

Bible reading with meditation, and spending time in prayer for other’s needs, kiting or skateboarding, lawn work, bicycle rides, turning the compost pile, deadheading, working on the car (installing upgrades/waxing/etc), finding something I can do to help a neighbor, atlatl, viewing old movies on TCM.

When I need a full on immune system, body and mind, and spiritual reboot, I do an extended water or juice fast. Makes me feel like a new person.

These are de-stressors, but if I understand your meaning of “zoning out”, I think they apply. I find them all relaxing...even the ones with physical exertion.
Should have mentioned prayer. The more I need it, seems the less I do it. And as the song says "Every hour I need Thee." I am blessed beyond measure. I honestly doubt if I know of anyone, ANYONE more blessed than me. I have been blessed to be friends with people with so much earthly treasure they CAN'T live long enough to spend it that envy me. I am blessed BIGLY, lol. I spent some poor years, financially speaking, but I've never been without a full belly or a warm bed, or a dry shelter. He is good, all the time.

FarmerTan

I disagree. I'm not a kid anymore either. I'm 50. But I consider folks who are older than me to be wiser than me. I welcome advice from older folks, since they've been there and done that, and they are able to help me to avoid mistakes and do things they've already done.

Back to the topic: I also read books (and discuss them in a book club), write in a journal (with fountain pens), and listen to music (including vinyl LPs with tube amps, both a phono preamp and a power amp). Yes, I love computers and smartphones, but I also love other old-fashioned things besides wet shaving. Sometimes newer isn't better.

You are right. But given the choice, I'd like to be the young lion on the prowl than the old lion in the zoo.
Maybe I'll paint lions as my first watercolor subject?

You are right. But given the choice, I'd like to be the young lion on the prowl than the old lion in the zoo.
Maybe I'll paint lions as my first watercolor subject?
That sounds like an excellent idea for a painting. [emoji106]

Top Bottom