What's new

How do you source your coffee

How do you source/roast your coffee?

• Stove top Roaster (whirly-pop, pan, etc)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Hot Air Roaster (popcorn popper, heat gun, fluidbed, etc)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Drum roaster (home, commercial, or bbq drum)

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other/hibred

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I buy my roasted coffee from a coffee house as beans or pre-ground

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I buy my coffee from a grocery or other local retailer

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I buy my roasted coffee online as beans or ground

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I buy my coffee by the cup at the drive through or away from home (office, etc)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I do not drink coffee

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With so many ways of getting coffee I think it will be interesting to see how our B&B members acquire their daily Joe

Answer the poll and post with more details

I'm lucky. I have a very good local roaster. They send coffee to the Governor's mansion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We've a number of local and nearby roasters you can buy directly from or in small shops scattered around the city. A smorgasbord of freshly roasted (dates) beans from around the world to sample. Wander into Toronto and there's even more fun to pursue.

dave

I learned how to roast the beans from Eritrean women , who are the traditional coffee roasters...The recycled tin can with handle is called "men kesh-kesh" , and it works very well....Coffee is served in demitasse cups and the flakes ( not mud like Greek or Turkish coffee ) of coffee grounds are considered as extra bonus flavor and are usually drunk with gusto..The traditional ceremony will have 3 rounds of coffee, served with popcorn laced with raisins and nuts mixed in...No sidecars of water , however after reading quite a lot about coffee and health info
boon94.jpg
lately , I can see why the Greeks serve water with the coffee...As for sourcing, Moschetti Artisan Roasters are not far from my house, and have a great selection of beans. They will grind as fine as Turkish for you.

Attachments

• boon92.jpg
    boon92.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 10
  • boon93.jpg
    boon93.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • boon97.jpg
    boon97.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 9
I learned how to roast the beans from Eritrean women , who are the traditional coffee roasters...The recycled tin can with handle is called "men kesh-kesh" , and it works very well....Coffee is served in demitasse cups and the flakes ( not mud like Greek or Turkish coffee ) of coffee grounds are considered as extra bonus flavor and are usually drunk with gusto..The traditional ceremony will have 3 rounds of coffee, served with popcorn laced with raisins and nuts mixed in...No sidecars of water , however after reading quite a lot about coffee and health info View attachment 794072 lately , I can see why the Greeks serve water with the coffee...As for sourcing, Moschetti Artisan Roasters are not far from my house, and have a great selection of beans. They will grind as fine as Turkish for you.
That was fascinating.

I use an older Ambex 2kg drum roaster. My brother and I normally split 2-3 bags of beans (50-60kg bags) depending on what looks interesting/available for spot purchase.

Sams Club carries Peete's. Usually fresh enough it is quite lively when I hit the hot water to it, good flavor. Last couple Starbucks were so old there was nothing to it, just lay in the filter and did nothing. Tasted the same.

Been wanting a roaster. Gonna have to break down and do it this summer, been looking at the Behmor. Any suggestions?

I home roast in any weather except for rain or snow. I do it on my deck with either an original Freshroast machine or an adapted popcorn popper. The adaptation changes the on-off switch to a cold fan/hot fan switch. I overload the machine until the fan has no effect, then I shake it until chaff and moisture lighten the load and the fan does the work. I got my poppers from Ebay and Goodwill and they are either 1400 or 1500 watts. I use two or three tin cans to make a chimney and I do the same to extend the Freshroast container so I can put more beans in and shake the machine without them reaching the top. Works for me (and has worked for 30+ years).
I also own an Aroma pot coffee roasting pan with a big crank on top to keep the beans from scorching. I use it by roasting on an electric hotplate and continuously turning the crank. I like the air roasting method better but I keep the Aroma pot just in case.
By bidding on green coffee on Ebay, I manage to pay around $3 per pound for very decent coffee, including shipping across the country. That may be the strongest motivation for me to roast, but my results also beat most any coffee I can buy, even for several times the price of what I pay. Any store bought coffee is very stale by comparison to mine. A small roaster may often sell something comparable to mine, but they charge 5 times more than I pay.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
DD drive up. Extra extra.

Ha ha. Just kidding.

Local roaster / coffee house. Or whole foods

I guess I use a local roaster as well... Every 7-10 days I stop by my brother's house on the way home from work and toss in 2kg of beans in the roaster and we have an espresso and chat while I mind the roaster. While I would like to have my own roaster the excuse for a visit (and a good cup of coffee) makes it a good activity in my book.

Ruckin.

I usually buy whole bean from SB. When I feel the urge, I order pure Kona from the island.

If I've spent too much time enjoying my morning shave and am running a little late, or if I leave my coffee on the counter when I walk out the door like I did this morning I hit the drive thru. Today it was Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf but SB and DD know my face too.

When I have time I roast my own. I did some research and ended up buying a cheap Popcorn Machine called The Poppery (1500W Version). I did a quick fan modification and It works great for my needs. I've been buying my green beans online from The Coffee Bean Corral and have been very happy with the selection and quality. Although I must admit I would not mind looking into other sources.

When I have time I roast my own. I did some research and ended up buying a cheap Popcorn Machine called The Poppery (1500W Version). I did a quick fan modification and It works great for my needs. I've been buying my green beans online from The Coffee Bean Corral and have been very happy with the selection and quality. Although I must admit I would not mind looking into other sources.
Take a look at Bodhi Leaf. If you get on their mailing list, you get a msg about a discount special every week. For something even cheaper from them, look at the Bodhi Leaf auctions (not Buy It Now!) on Ebay. When few people are bidding and the auction ends at a strange time, you can get coffee with shipping for around $3 per lb. or even less. Who knows, you might be bidding against me, but I have so much discount coffee, I better not buy anything for a long time. Green Bean Acquisition Disorder???

(I also roast with a fan-modified Poppery I or Popcorn Pumper, plus the original Freshroast sometimes.)

I roast on a Behmor. Theta Ridge Coffee is a Coffee bean distributor in my town. I can just call in an order of green beans and pick it up that day or the next. I roast in my kitchen with a box fan venting out the window, summer or winter, doesn't matter. I roast a pound about every week or so.

Top Bottom