Comida de puta = rice + eggs over easy + plantains

proxy.php

Breakfast Sunnyside up
Restaurant over easy
Lunch egg salad
Snack deviled
Dinner scrambled with pancakes
Dessert souffle

But honestly there isn't an egg I won't eat. I tend to eat hard boiled quite regularly as well

Over hard.

I also boil about a half dozen or so on the weekend and take them to work throughout the week. Boiled eggs are eaten with smoked season salt.

Over hard.

I also boil about a half dozen or so on the weekend and take them to work throughout the week. Boiled eggs are eaten with smoked season salt.

I do the HBE thing sometimes when I pack lunch for work. I always bring in enough to last me the whole week at work, instead of carrying my lunch-bag back and forth every day and having to prepare something each morning.

You have any particular tips or hints for hard-boiled eggs?
You'd think it would be simple to make, but some of my batches turn out better than others.

I usually boil up enough water to cover the eggs by about an inch, add in a Tbsp of vinegar, a Tbsp of salt, bring it to a boil, then put the eggs in and remove it from heat and let them sit covered for about 25min. After they cook, I pour off the hot water and run them under cold water for 2 minutes.

In particular, do you have a way to keep them from cracking open while in the water? If they do, those are always eaten on the spot.

You have any particular tips or hints for hard-boiled eggs?
You'd think it would be simple to make, but some of my batches turn out better than others...

...In particular, do you have a way to keep them from cracking open while in the water? If they do, those are always eaten on the spot.

I'll bring the water to a boil, add the eggs very gently with a slotted spoon (the only way I have found to prevent cracking is to not let them fall more than 1/8" or so to the bottom of the pot) and let the eggs boil. 12 minutes for large eggs, 13 minutes for extra large. Promptly remove with the slotted spoon and place in an ice water bath for 10 minutes. Easy to peel and perfectly cooked.

Made some last night and accidentally pulled the spoon out from under two of them too quickly and they fell about 1/2" to the bottom of the pot and cracked. Gentle is the only way to go.

This method is very consistent for me:

1) Place eggs in a pot, add enough hot water to cover the eggs. Some start with cold, I start with hot. Haven't found a difference, and hot boils faster.
2) Bring to a boil, then lower heat to minimum
3) Cook for 8 minutes
4) Cool eggs in an ice bath for 3-5 minutes

1) Place eggs in a pot, add enough hot water to cover the eggs. Some start with cold, I start with hot. Haven't found a difference, and hot boils faster.
3) Cook for 8 minutes

My method is similar. I do start with cold water, but when it comes to a boil I shut off the heat completely and cover the pan. I let them set for 10 minutes in the hot water, then do a 5-minute ice bath.

Perfect every time.

My method is similar. I do start with cold water, but when it comes to a boil I shut off the heat completely and cover the pan. I let them set for 10 minutes in the hot water, then do a 5-minute ice bath.

Perfect every time.
That's my method as well...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

3) Cook for 8 minutes

When you start with hot water, there will be more mineral taste content due to build up in the water heater. This is not a problem when boiling hard boiled eggs, but I wouldn't do it with pasta (it would absorb that mineral taste).

When you start with hot water, there will be more mineral taste content due to build up in the water heater. This is not a problem when boiling hard boiled eggs, but I wouldn't do it with pasta (it would absorb that mineral taste).
Thank you, Owen. I think I once read this regarding brewing coffee. But completely slipped my mind.

Over easy is the way to have simple eggs. When I have time, and can face the calories, I like "egg in the nest," called "one-eyed eggs," above,

Omelets, though, offer more opportunity.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A trick of the diner trade....Crack an egg on the flat-top, add a little water and cover with a pot lid. The steam cooks the top of the yolk and the flat-top does a nice job of fry. No flipping. Try it in your skillet at home with a lid.

A trick of the diner trade....Crack an egg on the flat-top, add a little water and cover with a pot lid. The steam cooks the top of the yolk and the flat-top does a nice job of fry. No flipping. Try it in your skillet at home with a lid.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, it's the way to go IMO! You can get over-easy to over-hard eggs without the "over"!

Top Bottom