What's new

Hone ID, Any ideas?

This stone was given to me by an old friend. He was asked if he knew what it was by a man who found it in a box. It was wrapped in a piece of leather. The guy offered it to him and he immediately thought of me and dropped it off.

The first 2 pics were after I started lapping it and then decided to take a couple pics. The rest are after it was lapped. It creates a fine slurry. The stone is a purple. At first I thought maybe a BBW but soon realized it was to fine and the slurry created was not dark purple and as thick as a BBW but rather light purple and slate like. It is very similar to thuringen slurry.

What are your thoughts? I have not tried to hone with it yet. Size is a 2 x 6 x 1

Click link to view.
http://s522.photobucket.com/user/GenuineSpirit/slideshow/hones/mysteyhone

or

http://s522.photobucket.com/user/GenuineSpirit/library/hones/mysteyhone?sort=9&page=1

Last edited:
I believe it could be a Pierre La Lune hone, or a Vosgiennes (brown escher). Do you have anything to compare it to as far as a vintage thuringian or escher for smell? Test shave with it and see how sharp/smooth it is? How long did you let the slurry settle before taking a picture?

$125167d1364053184-pierre-la-lune-img_5154.jpg

I will have to check the smell when I get home tonight. As far as how long I let the slurry settle, maybe 3-4 minutes.

And a a few pics for color and texture. Click pic and then the magnifying glass in bottom right corner and then again when photo pops up to view full size.

I don't think there is any doubt that it's not a bbw and it's not like the purple slate that AJ sells. That slurry looks far too white. What about the smell compared to thuringian/escher? Feel of the slurry while honing?

The stone smells very similar to the Thüringen stones. I even had the wife smell them and she said she could not tell any difference buy looked at me very strange when I asked her if she would.

The stone while honing feels very smooth, similar to the Thüringen stone. The edge was very nice. I went to it directly after coti.

Last edited:
The stone smell very similar to the Thüringen stones. I even had the wife smell them and she said she could not tell any difference buy looked at me very strange when I asked her if she would.

The stone while honing feels very smooth, similar to the Thüringen stone. The edge was very nice. I went to it directly after coti.

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice little rock!!!! How would you compare the sharpness/smoothness of an escher?

I am going to hone two similar razors and finish one on a Thuringen and the other on this stone.

This stone has very nice feedback. I felt a little grippy when I first started honing on it and gradually went to slick. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
I am going to hone two similar razors and finish on on a Thuringen and other on this stone.

This stone has very nice feedback. I felt a little grippy when I first started honing on it and gradually went to slick. If that makes sense.

Were you honing with slurry or no? Eschers typically have that feeling from what I've noticed. They 'self slurry' and build a 'slime' after a while, perhaps this is what you are feeling which would cause the change to a slick feeling.

I have no way of telling what it is but I'm hoping it's something good!

Still looks like a Yellow Lake to me, but I've not owned a Vosgiennes of any flavor.
The 'is it a LM, Yellow Lake, or
Vosgiennes' debate isn't a new one - and it'll probably run on forever.

YLs were labeled or boxed often, maybe not always though. Not sure about the
Vosgiennes - I know both stones have come in a variety of flavors.
Without a lable or some kind of provenance, it's all a guess. Unless of course someone that's handled dozens of each steps in and qualifies the stone.
Even then - it's still a guess. But at least it wouldn't just be 1/2 arsed conjecture based on google fu.

Still looks like a Yellow Lake to me, but I've not owned a Vosgiennes of any flavor.
The 'is it a LM, Yellow Lake, or
Vosgiennes' debate isn't a new one - and it'll probably run on forever.

YLs were labeled or boxed often, maybe not always though. Not sure about the
Vosgiennes - I know both stones have come in a variety of flavors.
Without a lable or some kind of provenance, it's all a guess. Unless of course someone that's handled dozens of each steps in and qualifies the stone.
Even then - it's still a guess. But at least it wouldn't just be 1/2 arsed conjecture based on google fu.

Do yellow lake stones smell like eschers? feel like them while honing? I thought that the questions asked were pretty pertinent and helped narrow things down a little.
Yellow lakes are what?? 8kish stones? Someone that hones on vintage thuris or eschers would be able to tell the difference between an 8k (like) edge and a 12k+ (like) edge.

Top Bottom