What's new

Holy wow, how did I use store razors for so long?!

Congrats and welcome to B&B!

Another vote for trying a sampler pack - you'll have fun working through the blades.

You should go back and thank the saleslady for sending you here!

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Welcome to B&B!

Holy wow, how did I use store razors for so long?!

Ah, kid, don't feel too bad! I spent over 30 years hacking away with my Atra before I found my way here.

Oh, and +1 on the sampler pack.

Welcome to B&B! Looks like you are off to a great start. Total agreement on the blade sampler. WCS is a great place to find them. Every brand is a little different, some you'll love, some you might not.

Wow, what a warm welcome.

Ok ok, I will get a sampler pack, I promise haha. Seems like everyones loving on Feather's though, so I'll start with those if nothing else.

Also, I could NOT get my lather from AoS to look like Mantic59's youtube videos o_O. I'll keep practicing, part of it I'm sure was from rushing around this morning, but I gave it a good 20 minutes of work and just couldn't win, haha.

And here's the shaving pr0n pictures of the razor / brush in the stand =p

Re: not being able to get a good lather.

Is it the cream, technique, or both?

Any recommendations for a fairly good lathering, newbie forgiving shaving cream?

Any recommendations for a fairly good lathering, newbie forgiving shaving cream?

First off, welcome aboard! I just started off here about a month or so ago and you won't meet a better group than this bunch, I promise :thumbup1:

Secondly, I'm pretty new to this whole thing still, but I have had the opportunity to try several creams and a couple of soaps, and the easiest one for me to get a good lather from has been Proraso/C.O. Bigelow. I have had very good results with both bowl and face lathering with that one & it doesn't make you work very hard for it, just lathers like crazy! There are surely others as well, but I have only tried a handful at this point & the C.O. Bigelow cream is readily available at your nearest Bath and Body Works (get the stuff in the tube, not the can).

Hope this helps!

- Steve :001_cool:

Definitely Helps Steve!!!

Will go grab some now. I'm perusing WCS for blade samplers also :D Hewray! ha =p

Welcome to B&B!

I haven't been here for a long time, but I've already learned a lot just reading... Regarding your lathering: there's this video of Mantic in which he first lathers up some soap and then uses that brush on some cream. That seems to work miracles! But maybe you could also try using more product? Good luck!

AoS cream is one of the easiest, most forgiving creams out there, you just need to keep practicing. Remember, more product is always better at first - newbies always try to stretch the cream too far, don't be shy to use a 2 or 3 almonds worth until you figure out the right proportions.

Welcome :thumbup: +1 on the sample pack based purely on the fact that the Merkur blades are not the most comfortable, durable or sharp (!!!!??!?!?!), but ARE expensive. Have fun.......

My first thought on the subject line...

Marketing baby. Marketing.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the life of the well shaved who actually look forward to shaving instead of dreading it :)
Let the RADs begin!! :laugh:

damn i feel ur enthususiasm bro. i feel the same way except i dont have all the cool gear. too broke :( but eventually im going to be a shaving guru and pass on the sacred knowledge shared by these ppl. lol

Go West, your totally right. It was the AoS lady telling me to do that though haha, I blame her. Funny thing is I know better from just watching Mantic's youtube stuff. His lather on his face with the Coate's post (Coates Rises From The Dead!), and what she showed me on her hand when she was showing me how to lather were SO different lol. You can't even see Mantic's face, and I could totally see the lady's hand the whole time. As such, you can see parts of my skin the whole time as well lol.

SO, that in mind, I'll pile on the cream. She showed me to put the cream right in the brush though. I did what Mantic does by putting the cream in a coffee cup (totally switching to a soup bowl, my cup is WAY too small to really get after it). Is it right to put it in the brush or the bowl? Seems like soap is what you go for when you want to do straight to the face, and cream is in the bowl to mix up. Is that right?

Top Bottom