What's new

Holsters

My preference of leather over kydex or vice versa is emotional and doesn't really represent any practical considerations.

For whatever reason, the more utilitarian the gun seems, the more I prefer kydex or a hybrid for it. My SIG P250 and P290 and my S&W M&P 40c all have hybrid IWB holsters. I did get a kydex for the M&P but didn't like that particular holster (nothing to do with kydex, the holster was just a ***), and I have a plastic SIG paddle holster for the P290 that came with it that I kind of like and wouldn't mind something similar for the M&P (I don't carry the P250 anymore so I won't be buying any more holsters for it).

For an all metal gun, and certainly for a 1911 or revolver, it needs to be all leather. A hybrid and certainly a kydex holster for a 1911 or revolver just doesn't seem right to me (just like a nice leather holster seems out of place on a Glock IMO). There are exceptions though, a more utilitarian metal gun could go hybrid. My CZ P01 with a Guncote style green finish sits in a Black Arch Holster hybrid, and I might get a Theis hybrid for my 3" Rossi 461. I could maybe see a hybrid for a classic SIG, but definitely not an all kydex holster.

As for style, while I have a few exceptions (a nice Black Hills OWB holster for my .45LC S&W 625MG, the plastic paddle holster for my P290, a few pocket holsters for various guns), the vast majority of my holsters are at least IWB, and mostly tuckable IWB.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This thread had me digging through my box to give the Urban Carry holster (v1) another try.

Must admit with a belt, worked as advertised. I just usually don't wear a belt ...

The v2 has a clip. Must resist.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just a thought on Small Of the Back holsters, if you end up on your back in a fight, it will be all but impossible to access your weapon if someone is on top of you, and if you go down forcibly on your back, the gun could injure your spine. The thing to consider with Any carry mode is not just day to day comfort, but can you access your weapon in the most adverse of situations. Of course any carry mode can be compromised in a given situation and an experienced grappler/ground fighter might be able to bridge out or otherwise create a way to access their weapon. You may have to just clear leather and shove your gun into your attackers ribs or other target of opportunity and "shoot them off of you", but first you have to be able to clear leather, while someone is punching you in the face.

Just a thought on Small Of the Back holsters, if you end up on your back in a fight, it will be all but impossible to access your weapon if someone is on top of you, and if you go down forcibly on your back, the gun could injure your spine. The thing to consider with Any carry mode is not just day to day comfort, but can you access your weapon in the most adverse of situations. Of course any carry mode can be compromised in a given situation and an experienced grappler/ground fighter might be able to bridge out or otherwise create a way to access their weapon. You may have to just clear leather and shove your gun into your attackers ribs or other target of opportunity and "shoot them off of you", but first you have to be able to clear leather, while someone is punching you in the face.
If an attacker was within arms reach I wouldn't have a need for my pistol. I would use my hands. You have a point about possible injury if fallen. No matter where you carry it you could fall on it . I just prefer sob for the way I dress, it is invisible.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Truth... The resolve that comes from tasting your own blood.

Love my Raven Concealment Phantom kydex OWB holster for my Glock 19.
It’s my EDC and I’m sad that they discontinued it.
Can anyone recommend their favorite OWB kydex holster for Glocks?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Love my Raven Concealment Phantom kydex OWB holster for my Glock 19.
It’s my EDC and I’m sad that they discontinued it.
Can anyone recommend their favorite OWB kydex holster for Glocks?

I like a simple Uncle Mike's Reflex for OWB. But I'm so fast, the rest of the world moves in sloooo-motion. :)

Do you have a pic of your holster you can show us?

No concerns with printing so OWB Leather because it is so much more comfortable.
20180417_201356.jpg

Wow, you made that holster? I'm not a fan of leather, but I'd like to see some pictures or a write up of the process.

I prefer IWB and leather but have used a leather/kydex on occasion. Thies holsters makes amazing holsters and belts, can't say enough good about them. I've ended up making my own out of leather and have used it exclusively for almost 2 years now...

View attachment 854973

Top Bottom