What's new

Holding credit card information for reservation at barber?

I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this; I looked through other ones and couldn't quite figure out where it might fit.

What's your thoughts about holding credit card information for an appointment at a barber or salon for a haircut or shave? I'm not sure how I feel about it and am wondering what others think.

There's a place I've gone to regularly for a few years and have really liked. Recently they started requiring credit card information to make an appointment (for everyone) and I'm sort of irritated about it. At the same time, I understand the reasons for it. They hold your credit card information on file and if you don't cancel 24 hours in advance they charge you (or so they say in their policy).

I do understand the issues with no-shows, working professionally in an area where that can happen. But usually I've always seen it handled by reserving the right to refuse further appointments or service to people who don't give sufficient notice of a cancellation.

Part of what's on my mind is that the one time I didn't give 24 hours notice was because of a blizzard that came in overnight and the appointment was in the morning. Sure, you could say that that would obviously be something they could make an exception for but legally they would be in the right to say I didn't give 24 hour notice, and if they meant to make exceptions, they could state that in their policy.

Another issue is the website just has this form that comes up when you book something, for all of your credit card info, including the security number, and doesn't really give much explanation of anything at all. The policy is given elsewhere in the site in small letters. The site doesn't explain what they do with it if you cancel more than 24 hours in advance, or ask you if you want to store it past the appointment, or anything. It's not even totally obvious that it's required, except that if you try to proceed it says it's required form information.

Something about it doesn't seem quite right to me but I'm kind of open to changing my mind and am not sure what others think, or if they've had something similar come up.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’d find a new barber. I very much dislike businesses that make up their own inconvenience fees. Like gas stations that add a 3% credit card fee if you buy something below $10. They are just inconvenience fees and in many cases illegal. You are inconveniencing them somehow so they are charging you for it. IMO that’s the price of owning your own business. You take the hit, don’t pass it on the customer.

Honestly, I just have gotten to where I hate retail in general. The whole experience has gotten out of control. I can’t wait for the day where I can do 100% of my shopping online and have it delivered.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do get their perspective, and appointments that are not kept both cost them money and removes a spot they could have potentially given to someone else.

Would they have charged you for missing an appointment in a snow storm? I suppose they could technically, but would they?

I admit I always find these things a little irritating, but these can be hard times for small businesses. For me, the decision would depend on how much I liked the shop. I'm going to give them the credit card info after the haircut, so it's not a big deal for me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What do they do if you want to pay cash? I think I’d go somewhere else.

My barber doesn’t accept appointments. They’re a traditional “old school” shop that has 8 chairs and straight razor shaves. The conversations can get pretty lively, that is of course unless a lady is in the shop then it’s almost total silence. My boys love it and are probably learning some good life lessons listening to the stories. I just hope they don’t tell their mom about the lessons they’re learning.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'm going to give them the credit card info after the haircut, so it's not a big deal for me.
For me it’s not paying with the card it’s the fact that they’re storing the information in their system. I don’t know who has access to it or how secure their system is. If these large multi billion dollar companies can get hacked I’m pretty sure that a barber shop would be a piece of cake.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Like gas stations that add a 3% credit card fee if you buy something below $10.
They’re doing that because they’re being charged a “swipe fee” by the CC companies somewhere between 2.25-3% every time someone uses a credit card. Margins at convenience stores are so thin that until someone spends a certain amount of money the store is losing money when the customer uses a credit card.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
They’re doing that because they’re being charged a “swipe fee” by the CC companies somewhere between 2.25-3% every time someone uses a credit card. Margins at convenience stores are so thin that until someone spends a certain amount of money the store is losing money when the customer uses a credit card.
I know why they do it. And frankly I don’t care. If they don’t want to pay the fee then don’t take credit cards period. I’m choosing to do business with you. There are 90 other gas and convenience stores in town I could go to but I picked you. There is a very high probability I will be a repeat customer. Which means there is a very high probability my purchase won’t always be below your “minimum charge”. So take that 30 cents and shove it up your bunghole because you’re not going to make me spend more money than I want to just to avoid the fee that you should be paying.

I know why they do it. And frankly I don’t care. If they don’t want to pay the fee then don’t take credit cards period. I’m choosing to do business with you. There are 90 other gas and convenience stores in town I could go to but I picked you. There is a very high probability I will be a repeat customer. Which means there is a very high probability my purchase won’t always be below your “minimum charge”. So take that 30 cents and shove it up your bunghole because you’re not going to make me spend more money than I want to just to avoid the fee that you should be paying.
Hear! Hear!

I honestly do not think you barber should hold CC info, and I would find another Barber. My old dentist use to charge if you missed appointment, or ran late. One I called his office as I was still making business cals in area, it was 30 minute before I had appointment. Was told we are running one time.

Arrive on time, only to be made to wait an hour because of emergency that came in a hour earlier. When I got the co billl I called office, and told them to stuff it. As they blew my time, and I did to them what they wanted do to me. Never got another bill for that copay.

Final straw was one Sunday I popped off crown, call on call number. Was told by dentists assistant he was IN CHURCH, and would call ASAP after Church. Two days late I went the UCMC Dentist he replaced crown.

Finally got call back two day later from my old dentist, saying you have CROWN problem? I said no NEW DENTIST FIXED, nit now Thursday, I call you with Emergency Sunday, and I must be important? You never called me for best part of week.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have cut my own hair for about the last six years but prior to that I used the same barber for twenty years, always paying £5 for a haircut, with a single £5 note. Just before I stopped going there I unusually paid with a £10 note and received £3 in change. I commented that it was nice to see he had finally increased his charges after all these years. He replied - "I put the price up years ago - you just kept giving me a £5 note and walking out before I could say anything". I never attended a barber that required an appointment for five minutes work - a grade 2 with the clippers at the back and sides and a grade 4 on top, and the payment was cash only as it was so little. As an aside, I have noticed here in the UK that many cities now seem to have an abundance of 'Turkish Barbers' - when I pass them none of them ever seem to have any customers.

This may be driven by too many customers booking a slot and then not showing up.
While I would understand the reason in that case, it does not mean that I have to accept it.

I’d find some other barber (unless all the barbers in your town ganged together and do require this sort of thing now).

Where I live, I just walk into my barber shop and ask when they would have time for me.
Most of the time I just wait. If it takes longer, I may get a coffee around the corner or do some other errands.

I doubt that my barber even accepts cashless payment - let alone credit cards.
But then again for the equivalent of $11 (haircut and trimming moustache) it is probably not worth it.

B.

I assume that you can always go without an appointment. At the place where I go (similar system, with two hours cancellation option) I see many people who just walk in.

Best Haircut I got were Free from GF's Day, and by Close to Finishing students at Barber College. Now I cut own hair, and hold my CREDIT CARD in my wallet.

My barber has the new business practice coming into vogue in which I drive to the barbershop, then sit in a chair and wait for anyone who was sitting in there when I walked in to get a haircut. Then it is my turn to get a haircut.

And it costs $15. And we all use cash and there are no receipts. Which is the preferred method of the IRS, I'll bet!

Sometimes it is hard to keep up with these newfangled ideas.

No kidding! But I only moved back to my hometown--the town in the book and movie "Hillbilly Elegy"--7 or 8 months ago. My first haircut in town was $30 and I had to make an appointment on a phone app.

That was my first and last with that barber.

Where I moved from, Columbus, my barbershop was like that...before covid. And even 8 months ago, they still insisted you sign in, then go sit out in your car and wait for them to call you on the phone.

That got tiresome.

Top Bottom