What's new

High Proof Half-DE Single Edge Razor

My impressions of the razor and the first shave are HERE. Using this razor is a different experience from a traditional DE (or SE) razor with fixed head, but I genuinely enjoyed it and got a great shave.

Reactions: saj
Looks like an interesting razor. I don't care for the pivot head. I like them solid.
It's certainly well made.
The pivoting head definitely creates a different type of experience. I do like the more precise control that comes with a fixed head design, but the pivoting head does have its advantages. For example, it is much harder to nick yourself because the head pivots to stay absolutely flat on your skin. I'm also intrigued by the very clever use of opposing magnets to create the "spring" force on the pivot mechanism.

Evidently, there has been a change from Montana to Ohio. All the early material spoke of being made in Montana but I noticed the return address on my package is Hiram, Ohio. Google shows the address as Goodnight Kitchen and Bath. I just rechecked the High Proof website and don't see Montana mentioned anymore. Does not really matter, just my curiosity.

Evidently, there has been a change from Montana to Ohio. All the early material spoke of being made in Montana but I noticed the return address on my package is Hiram, Ohio. Google shows the address as Goodnight Kitchen and Bath. I just rechecked the High Proof website and don't see Montana mentioned anymore. Does not really matter, just my curiosity.
I'm going to speculate wildly that one of the founders is from Ohio and they are visiting family over the holidays and took a bunch of stuff with them and shipped it from Ohio. The founders have other businesses and their manufacturing equipment is in Montana. That stuff doesn't move easily. Time will tell though.

hey guys so hows it going with this high proof se razor?

stumble across it but pretty sure i saw it fe wmonths back but forgot about it

anyways whats aggression level on it like?

wanted to ask whats the pivoting hed like for shaving accurate straight lines?

i ask as the leaf pivots way too much so hard to straighten the beard line at the sides of the head (if that makes sense)

i like the look but that logo imho lets it down as it looks a bit cheap but tbf thats just me looking at the pic, maybe it sbetter in person? like the design from what ive seen otherwise

Does the logo really matter?

I think it’s a great razor. To answer your question, it’s a mild and efficient shave. I’m really enjoying but I have one serio gripe with it. The top retaining plate should be a bit shorter. Especially when I am trying to get close to my nose, it’s too long for me to get in tight to the nostrils.

Its extremely light and that takes some getting used. It shaves like a cartridge razor but i have the bonus of being able to use my own blade, one half at a time.

I ordered two more for my teenage boys that are just starting to shave. It’s so efficient, forgiving and easy to use that I think it will be a perfect first razor.

Does the logo really matter?

I think it’s a great razor. To answer your question, it’s a mild and efficient shave. I’m really enjoying but I have one serio gripe with it. The top retaining plate should be a bit shorter. Especially when I am trying to get close to my nose, it’s too long for me to get in tight to the nostrils.

Its extremely light and that takes some getting used. It shaves like a cartridge razor but i have the bonus of being able to use my own blade, one half at a time.

I ordered two more for my teenage boys that are just starting to shave. It’s so efficient, forgiving and easy to use that I think it will be a perfect first razor.
yea poersonal preferenc ein regards to the logo, shouldnt make a difference to the performance though lol

i like the look of this razor, seems like everything the broman shouldve been in the first place imho

I don't think it is great for clean lines and lining things up give that the blade is difficult to see where it is at. It may need a bit of practice for such a feat. I would probably go with a leaf or Broman Mark II when that gets released. I mean the High Proof isn't a bad razor but I just don't think that you'll be happy with it for this purpose.

I got a High Proof razor for xmas and just had my first shave with it. So far so good. I put in a sharp blade and got a great and smooth shave.

Do you all have any tips for using it? Except for you all, I wasn't ever taught how to shave and my wet shaving has been mostly with fixed-head safety razors. Do you start your stroke with the head parallel to your skin? Or do you use the pivot and lightly press the back of the head to the skin until the blade touches? If you start with the head parallel, it can only pivot one way.

I have used it for a few days now so far my impression has been excellent.
For comparison I have used pretty much all the pivoting razors before. One blade, Broman, Focus Dynamic. Focus was probably the worst razor I have used. One blade higher rated then Broman due to all metal body construction. Though Broman is still pretty ok.
This is on par with One blade I wish they would make a titanium or stainless steel model in future would love to grab one.

I got a High Proof razor for xmas and just had my first shave with it. So far so good. I put in a sharp blade and got a great and smooth shave.

Do you all have any tips for using it? Except for you all, I wasn't ever taught how to shave and my wet shaving has been mostly with fixed-head safety razors. Do you start your stroke with the head parallel to your skin? Or do you use the pivot and lightly press the back of the head to the skin until the blade touches? If you start with the head parallel, it can only pivot one way.

I use it just like a flex head cartridge razor. It's been 9 years since I used a flex head but I guess it's like riding a bicycle. The only thing I've noticed is it has some drag, I think due to the flat-face design. Slickest lather helps.

It's not in my top 10 but I like its innovative design.

I noticed some drag too, surely from the large flat surface of the head. I don't mind the drag though, it almost feels like it holding the skin in position. One does need a slick lather, I went back to touch up a point that was just wet and the razor kind of skipped a bit. That was mostly my bad for not wiping a bit of lather there.

I noticed some drag too, surely from the large flat surface of the head. I don't mind the drag though, it almost feels like it holding the skin in position. One does need a slick lather, I went back to touch up a point that was just wet and the razor kind of skipped a bit. That was mostly my bad for not wiping a bit of lather there.
that is a good point some preshave lotion or cream may help consistency of lather may have to have vary with different heads this once can get clogged easy so needs to be a bit more runny

Top Bottom