What's new

High Proof Half-DE Single Edge Razor

Now that the High Proof razor is out of the kickstarter phase and open to regular orders, let's talk about it. It has a very innovative design. I was intrigued enough that I ordered one. Plus magnets! ;)

I hope it isn't too mild or too aggressive. We'll see soon. This is what I wished the OneBlade would have been - the proprietary blades of the OneBlade are absolutely awful and the High Proof allows one to use your favorite DE blades. I hope it has good clamping and keeps the edge rigid.

I don't think it will be too aggressive, the specs they gave me are .034 inch (.86 mm) blade gap and .003 inch positive blade exposure so I expect it to be no more than a medium on the aggressive scale. And it's incredibly light, at .72 ounce/20 grams, it's even lighter than a Henson. No way to let the weight of the razor do the work, it will require pressure.

The opposing magnets instead of springs for the pivoting head intrigue me. And the half-blade loading onto a magnet should work fine like the Leaf Twig razor.

It's been about 9 years since I used a pivoting head razor so I expect it will be a learning curve for me. Getting the bottom of the sideburns just right may take a bit of skill.

I think their $135 price is a bit high but I'm ok with what I paid, I'm order number 9. Plus if I don't like the razor, it can be returned under their satisfaction guarantee although I could probably easily sell it for what I paid.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this razor works out for you guys. Personally, the pivoting head is a non-starter for me. Maybe there is a way to disable that, as some have done with the One Blade.

I purchased one from the kickstarter but did not know that it had a pivoting head at the time. Mine will probably never see a blade while it is in my custody.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I don't get it - using a half de bypasses the rigidity that the se blade offers. If I want the de type edge why not avoid the blade surgery and use a de? And the pivoting head doesn't exactly make my socks go up & down.

I don't get it - using a half de bypasses the rigidity that the se blade offers. If I want the de type edge why not avoid the blade surgery and use a de? And the pivoting head doesn't exactly make my socks go up & down.
There's no blade surgery to speak of, it takes nearly no time to snap a blade in half.
The advantage of using half-DE blades is that there are many more to choose from than with injector, GEM or AC blades, and you get a smaller, more nimble head than a typical DE razor head.

This is on my shortlist once it gets past pre-order. I’ve been burned a time or two on Kickstarter projects and getting your money returned in those cases is a PITA.

They say they are packing and shipping now, so things look good. I got burned by one kickstarter that never got to production. It looks like they have the razors made and were just waiting on the boxes to ship them in.

I have two on the way as I thought they would be great razors for my brother and father. I spoke to someone (name escapes me right now) at High Proof Razor and they seemed really nice and helpful which ultimately made me want to give them a shot.
It will take a while for them to reach me but when they do I will give it a try before I pass them to my brother and father.

I imagine you could probably wedge something in between the head and the handle prevent it from pivoting. Maybe this is something the guys at High Proof can look at for future iterations... a pivot lock mechanism.

Don't quote me on this but I believe if things go smoothly they may be open to using other materials such as stainless steel.

I love DE/SE shaving but also feel like this razor and other similar ones have a place in my collection also.

Some manufacturers make pre-cut DE blades so if for some reason you don't want to snap your DE blades then you can buy a few pre-made ones but snapping some DE blades is more cost efficient particularly if you have a fair few of them already for your other razors but also you have a lot more variety available to you. If you were so inclined you could spend 15 minutes snapping blades if you're sitting down watching tv and you'd have enough blades to get a few months or a years worth of shaves out of them.

They said they shipped all the razors. When mine comes it will go under the tree, so I'll have to hear how well it works from you all and wait until I can take mine for a spin.

I really like the look of this new razor. Then again I liked the focus and never had an issue with it. Down side for me is at the current price even for quality materials I can't afford it. But I'm sure in the new year the BST may have one or two and then if I get a decent pay award I could go brand new.

The up side again for me is the different blades you can use in this type of razor. My personal favourite is the Treet black carbon, for an easy shave but I love an Astra SP for a super close shave.

I'll be shaving with it within the hour.

PXL_20221215_142644940.jpg
PXL_20221215_142720042.jpg

Top Bottom