What's new

Heribert Wacker Straight Razors?

No matter what you want to buy - there will be good and bad things said about it somewhere.
That - looks like a fine fine razor to me...

I had one of the stainless Wackers and it was a real champion. Very nicely ground and balanced, obviously first class steel - exactly what you would expect in a hand made razor

Like any top echelon German/Solingen straight razor, if it is properly honed it will be a very good shaver.

When I got my Revisor I was not impressed with the shave out of the box (was supposedly shave ready). I also quickly discovered it was a fair bit tougher to to 'dial in' on the hones than my other straights. But once I did figure out what kind of touch it needed on the stones (took me three honing sessions), sweet mercy - the shave was amazing. It immediately went from being my worst razor to one of my favorites.

The same held true for my Wacker 7/8 Jungmeister.

I got my Revisor straight from Revisor and the Wacker secondhand in the BST...

If you get yours from ShavingShop it should already be properly honed and ready to go. He has a lot of experience with Wacker razors and most likely knows how to put a nice shave ready edge on them.

Thanks you for the great responses on the Wackers. Now only if I knew what makes them hard to hone.

Any tips on hone a Wacker?

Most Likley the way they are tempered.listen to what glen and maxi told you on SRP.
They are not hard to hone,Just picky.I finish mine on Jnats (nakayama KIIta) water only,they shave like butter.

Well.... I could not resist.

One of these is on it's way to me.

$DSC04964.JPG

Can anyone, for posterity's sake, give some Wacker honing tips?

+1 and what is it that makes them hard to hone?

My take is that they are comparatively hard; some say brittle and prone to micro chipping. Never had that happen to mine, perhaps it is a bit of over-analysis?

My Wacker was my second or third razor and I've only honed it a few times. My advice is to use a light touch and err on the side of a few too many laps than too few. Also, being so hard, they respond very well to diamond paste.

I found the steel to be really, really hard on my wacker, but I assume it has to do with it being stainless (inox). You cant force the edge either, because that just makes the edge worse. It just takes a really long time, and theres no shortcuts either - like sanding down a piece of tropical hardwood with 600 grit sandpaper.

Top Bottom