What's new

Straight Razor Shavers

History: King Gillette wanted to invent another way of shaving so he could get rich. He developed a handle and replaceable blade system. He sold the razors at a loss so people would buy them, then he made up the loss and a lot more by selling them blades that they then had to have. They followed the same concept with the Trac II. The handles were cheap, but the blades were where they made the money. And on it has gone. There are a number of discussions about this on this forum.

History: King Gillette wanted to invent another way of shaving so he could get rich. He developed a handle and replaceable blade system. He sold the razors at a loss so people would buy them, then he made up the loss and a lot more by selling them blades that they then had to have. They followed the same concept with the Trac II. The handles were cheap, but the blades were where they made the money. And on it has gone. There are a number of discussions about this on this forum.
Yes, exactly. And Marketing people just love this story. They get a gleam in their eye when they tell it. They are inspired and exalted by it.

Gentlemen, as an old lawyer, I admire your advocacy for your straight razors but one cannot argue seriously that a straight razor is safer than a safety razor. There’s an old euphemism in literature that when a character had a “shaving accident” he committed suicide. Straight razors were carried as weapons. I recall several movies where a character used a straight razor in a fight. There’s a famous Sondheim musical about a barber who kills people with a straight razor. Can you imagine any of these scenarios with a safety razor ?
Counting intentional injuries/murder against the "safety" of a straight razor would undermine the "car is safer than motorcycle" argument...unless of course, you can show motorcycle ramming attacks with casualty counts as high as those in the following articles.

Conclusion: SUVs and straight razors are more efficient murder weapons than motorcycles and safety (respectively) razors.

Additionally, single- and double-edged razors blades have become culturally symbolic of suicide/self-harm by cutting. Does that make them any less safe when used properly for their intended purpose?

Whew! Luckily, despite the incredible risk, I was able to get a good two-pass shave this morning using a Feather SR. I also used a Toggle for the van dyke area.

Overall, a good shave, although that danged so-called SAFETY razor did end up giving me a tiny weeper just between the lower lip and the chin. Amazingly, no injuries at all from the medieval weapon I used to shave the rest of my face and neck!

Attachments

• 20231105_100603.jpg
    20231105_100603.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Let me start off by thanking Quaznoid for starting another thought-provoking thread, and the usual well-written opening post laden with wit. I think his posts deserve a more charitable reading than they sometimes receive. Even if a post is not intended to be tongue in cheek it can be useful to read it that way, at least if one is the type of people to be annoyed by others questioning their habits.

I started shaving with a DE-razor at the age of 19-20, at that point having only a few years of “normie” cartridge shaving behind me. I have never used a straight. In fact since I started shaving with DE razors (and it might be time to drop the plural, after a bit of initial testing I’ve stuck with one for every shave of the last decade) I haven’t used anything else, except for a electrical razor stint (right after we had our first child) that only lasted a few weeks (the (questionable) “time gains” were not worth the awful shaves, even in those hectic circumstances).

Despite having never used one, I believe I might pick up a straight some time in the future. Probably not before retirement, or before the kid(s?) have moved out (whichever comes first), I simply do not have time for the maintenance part of the hobby. I’m saying this even though I already have a whetstone setup for my kitchen knives. Even the quarterly sharpening they require is too much of a hassle for me to be able to fit in right now, they are neglected and my straight razor would be too. I’m going to pay a premium price for guaranteed bad conscience. But when the time is right, I do believe I will make the move.

But enough babbling. I sense some facetiousness in the opening post, for the last paragraph seems to be ignorant of three immediately preceding it.

So back to the straight razor shaver. Does he eschew the convenience and safety of the safety razor like our Amishman rejects the modern world in deference to his religion, in this case a secular belief that modern practices are somehow “wrong”? Or is he injecting the thrill of risk-taking into an otherwise boring grooming activity to enrich his life with some otherwise unobtainable good? You tell me.

I admit that there is an undefinable pleasure in mastering a skill, even an unnecessary skill that must be satisfying on some level. I know people who throw axes at targets and ride electric unicycles and they seem to enjoy it.

I also know that for every activity there are fanatics and zealots who have to do it differently, and so it seems with shaving.

Providing more questions than answers, I throw up my hands. I do not understand straight razor shaving, and I suppose I never will.
There are aspects of mastery, yes, and probably ritual and aesthetics too. It is my firm belief that both are extremely important to most humans (despite the “psychologicalization” flavor this explanation might impart to some), and in different avenues than before as the desacralization of the world and everyday separation from nature marches on. I blame (semi-jokingly) protestant work ethic and Lutheranism for much of this. “How dare you attain more joy from direct blade contact with full control, and the process of sharpening a hard blade on a hard stone, when there is neither economic benefit or communal gains to be had from this timesink?”

Long story short: The comparison of shaving methods does not have to be limited to the mundane and easily quantifiable qualities.

I also want to add to this:
I also know that for every activity there are fanatics and zealots who have to do it differently, and so it seems with shaving.

… that I believe that if you took a poll in the general population and summed the results to the nearest whole integer, 100% would agree that people using funny brushes and DE-razors already fall under the definition of “shaving fanatics and zealots”, so this is the pot calling the kettle black imo.

I’m going to end with a quotes from Kakuzō Okakura’s “The Book of Tea”, which I think translates well to the area of shaving.

But when we consider how small after all the cup of human enjoyment is, how soon overflowed with tears, how easily drained to the dregs in our quenchless thirst for infinity, we shall not blame ourselves for making so much of the tea-cup.

Let me start off by thanking Quaznoid for starting another thought-provoking thread, and the usual well-written opening post laden with wit. I think his posts deserve a more charitable reading than they sometimes receive. Even if a post is not intended to be tongue in cheek it can be useful to read it that way, at least if one is the type of people to be annoyed by others questioning their habits.

I started shaving with a DE-razor at the age of 19-20, at that point having only a few years of “normie” cartridge shaving behind me. I have never used a straight. In fact since I started shaving with DE razors (and it might be time to drop the plural, after a bit of initial testing I’ve stuck with one for every shave of the last decade) I haven’t used anything else, except for a electrical razor stint (right after we had our first child) that only lasted a few weeks (the (questionable) “time gains” were not worth the awful shaves, even in those hectic circumstances).

Despite having never used one, I believe I might pick up a straight some time in the future. Probably not before retirement, or before the kid(s?) have moved out (whichever comes first), I simply do not have time for the maintenance part of the hobby. I’m saying this even though I already have a whetstone setup for my kitchen knives. Even the quarterly sharpening they require is too much of a hassle for me to be able to fit in right now, they are neglected and my straight razor would be too. I’m going to pay a premium price for guaranteed bad conscience. But when the time is right, I do believe I will make the move.

But enough babbling. I sense some facetiousness in the opening post, for the last paragraph seems to be ignorant of three immediately preceding it.

There are aspects of mastery, yes, and probably ritual and aesthetics too. It is my firm belief that both are extremely important to most humans (despite the “psychologicalization” flavor this explanation might impart to some), and in different avenues than before as the desacralization of the world and everyday separation from nature marches on. I blame (semi-jokingly) protestant work ethic and Lutheranism for much of this. “How dare you attain more joy from direct blade contact with full control, and the process of sharpening a hard blade on a hard stone, when there is neither economic benefit or communal gains to be had from this timesink?”

Long story short: The comparison of shaving methods does not have to be limited to the mundane and easily quantifiable qualities.

I also want to add to this:

… that I believe that if you took a poll in the general population and summed the results to the nearest whole integer, 100% would agree that people using funny brushes and DE-razors already fall under the definition of “shaving fanatics and zealots”, so this is the pot calling the kettle black imo.

I’m going to end with a quotes from Kakuzō Okakura’s “The Book of Tea”, which I think translates well to the area of shaving.
At least somebody gets it

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m just coming back to this thread with an observation. I’ve paid a little more attention to the comments section in “Rate Your Shave” and regularly read reports of bloodletting with DE’s. Weepers, nicks, bites and plain old cuts that need to be stemmed with all manner of alum or styptic, or blotter or a towel, with accompanying reports of redness and irritation. Also, blade inconsistencies, blade failure and fatigue, geographical blade producing changes, knockoffs and fakes. All manner of poor shaves due to razor aggression or lack thereof. Reports of no nicks, tugging or irritation comes as a happy surprise instead of an expectation it seems. Of course this is just what I was focusing on, plenty of great DE shaves had out there, I’ve had plenty myself. Seems there are perhaps more variables with DE shaving, leaving more to chance. Just bringing it back around to the quality of straight razor shaves.

I have dabbled with a straight. I have cut myself pretty good. Newbie experimenting with different passes. Still have not got comfortable with it and have not achieved a Zen like state. Will probably give it another try one day. The Feather straights sound interesting.

Gentlemen, as an old lawyer, I admire your advocacy for your straight razors but one cannot argue seriously that a straight razor is safer than a safety razor. There’s an old euphemism in literature that when a character had a “shaving accident” he committed suicide. Straight razors were carried as weapons. I recall several movies where a character used a straight razor in a fight. There’s a famous Sondheim musical about a barber who kills people with a straight razor. Can you imagine any of these scenarios with a safety razor ?
And yet a box/utility knife was used as weapon for the largest terrorist attack in US history
People used to use hat pins as a weapon
a hammer or baseball bat is used more than a straight as a weapon

Folks are cutting themselves all the time with DE razors

an electric is safer than why are you not using them ?
Or the plastic mega blade again safer than a DE why are you not using them ?
Because you do not want to or do not like them for whatever reason
if you fear a straight razor that has been around as maybe the oldest way to shave ones face is silly IMHO if anything the reason its still around it has stood up to the test of time

IMHO DE for many think OH its safe and ignore what can happen and why so many cut themselves

same reason look at cars today safer than ever yet more accidents and the fact 9-10 teens die every day in car accidents ! And yet parents still say OK kids here the keys drive safe and you are worried about why some use a straight razor Your safety thing is just silly

same reason the AC blade straights are around and the same reason the straights stayed around as some find for whatever reason they prefer them and same reason so many still make new DE razors and many do not like electric of the multi blade plastic and of course some prefer the more modern ones ?
But oh well more power to whatever anyone uses if they are happy :)

I find it funny though why anyone would even have to ask :)
and just realize some folks like it and its that easy to understand :)

Last edited:
I'm primarily a cart shaver, but I've got a fair amount of experience with DEs and SEs and have dabbled with shavettes (no actual straights). I don't have the desire to maintain a real straight razor but I very much like the idea of shaving with one, so I've had several AC shavettes in my arsenal from time to time. Right now I have a CJB kamisori-style in the drawer that I've only used a couple of times. I have never cut myself seriously with a shavette, but I definitely have gotten a good gash or two with a DE. What I can do with a shavette is give myself a true one-pass shave (maybe with some touch-ups) that I can't get from any other razor, and I'm not even that good with it yet.

I think the attraction of straight shaving, besides nostalgia, is that you get out of it what you put into it. I'll never say it's a better shave right from the get-go, but it's easier to get the exact shave you want, if that makes any sense.

What I can say is that a straight razor take me 2 1/2 passes to get me where one of my better DE safety razors will, shave wise. However, I can get irritation from a DE SR, whereas with a straight razor I have never had any. I can get cut with a DE safety razor (and a Bic or Trac II), but I have only had one minor cut with a straight razor (I'm careful and focused).

He would slice himself just putting it in his pocket, a straight razor folds lol

Eben Stone

Staff member
This is one of the most thought provoking threads I've read in a long time.

I think there have already been many great answers provided so far.

Here's my contribution... its not intended to be a rant, but I think my answer needs some context.

With every new invention or improvement people can buy products that have more useless features than the original, cost more than the original, and break sooner than the original.

We have products that do things for us so we have become lazier.

With Amazon two day delivery on most items we have become even more impatient. What happened to the delivery via drones?

They don't teach cursive writing in grade school anymore.

There is no P.E. in school anymore.

Why do anything creative like writing or drawing when AI can do it for you?

Our society is doomed.

For me it's not about the quality of the shave, because I can achieve a much closer and smoother shave using my Blackland Dart. Heck, with almost any of my DE razors.

I use a straight razor because it is difficult. It's time consuming. It's dangerous. I enjoy the ridiculous level of concentration required. It puts me in a better mood. I shave at night, so for me it clears my mind of the day's nonsense. I would not call it a zen like experience. But whatever it is, sometimes it lasts for the duration of the shave. Sometimes a few minutes after. Sometimes a few hours.

I use a straight razor because I want at least one part of my life to be rewarded by doing something hard.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I just stumbled across the thread so I’ll offer some opinions/thoughts.

The reason that the so called safety razor supplanted the straight razor is simple convenience:
- A DE is faster to use because you don’t have to clean it, hone it, and strop it.
- A DE is easier to learn because there are 3 learning curves with a SR, shaving, stropping, and honing, although many folks in the olden days may well have had their barber hone it for them. A DE you just have to learn how to shave.
- I also believe that DE users for many years got better shaves than they got with a SR for a couple of reasons, one being the lack of really fine grit hones that could impart a better, smoother edge to the SR vs DE. Some natural stones could do the job, but a high quality natural razor finishing stone was, and still is, quite expensive. And you need a little skill to use them, not a lot, but a skill that you don’t need with DE. But a proper SR vs most modern non-DE razors there’s really just no contest.

A SR is not more dangerous than a DE, in fact it’s arguably safer. As @Ravenonrock notes, the DE world has an entire wound vocabulary that does not exist in the SR world. Weepers, razor burn (you can get razor burn with a SR if the edge is bad), letting their face ‘rest’ for a day, ‘sealing’ a weeper, and so on. Established SR users don’t have wounds like this or words for them.

If the razor is properly honed, that is very sharp, and you use a slick soap, stretch you skin taught, and just slide the razor at a low angle across your skin it is surprisingly difficult to cut yourself.

One aspect of SR usage is that it is a very ‘green’ way to shave. No plastic and cream cans in the landfill, no butane into the air, etc. Once you have a SR, a hone, and a strop, all that you need is a soap, which can be bought in paper wrappers. The only waste is lather and stubble (and the soap wrapping paper).

Shaving with a SR can also be cheaper than with most modern methods, probably including DE. A $100 investment and you can shave for life with no expenses except soap and AS. B&B is a hobbyist forum for the most part, but there are are people that get into wet shaving to save money. I have a friend here in town that I helped get set up with a couple of razors and a Naniwa hone, (he has a strop too) and that’s pretty much it for him. He got interested in Filarmonica 14 razors and acquired a couple because he enjoys them but he didn’t have to in order to get a fine shave. I rarely hear from him about shaving although we get together from time to time and have lunch.

I also note that the OP is just guessing or speculating about things he does not have knowledge of, so I will offer him a shave-ready SR to try, no need to return it. Just PM me a mailing address @Quaznoid . You’ll need a strop, but any piece of fine grained CLEAN leather will work. You can lay it flat on the edge of a table, or you could have Tandy cut you a piece of cowhide for a hanging strop. Get two holes in the end for a cord loop.

Then you will know and not be speculating. Glad to help guide you through getting started and re-hone the razor when necessary. Then I will look forward to hearing about your experience, though I know that SR is not for everyone.

Steve

Last edited:
I just stumbled across the thread so I’ll offer some opinions/thoughts.

The reason that the so called safety razor supplanted the straight razor is simple convenience:
- A DE is faster to use because you don’t have to clean it, hone it, and strop it.
- A DE is easier to learn because there are 3 learning curves with a SR, shaving, stropping, and honing, although many folks in the olden days may well have had their barber hone it for them. A DE you just have to learn how to shave.
- I also believe that DE users for many years got better shaves than they got with a SR for a couple of reasons, one being the lack of really fine grit hones that could impart a better, smoother edge to the SR vs DE. Some natural stones could do the job, but a high quality natural razor finishing stone was, and still is, quite expensive. And you need a little skill to use them, not a lot, but a skill that you don’t need with DE. But a proper SR vs most modern non-DE razors there’s really just no contest.

A SR is not more dangerous than a DE, in fact it’s arguably safer. As @Ravenonrock notes, the DE world has an entire wound vocabulary that does not exist in the SR world. Weepers, razor burn (you can get razor burn with a SR if the edge is bad), letting their face ‘rest’ for a day, ‘sealing’ a weeper, and so on. Established SR users don’t have wounds like this or words for them.

If the razor is properly honed, that is very sharp, and you use a slick soap, stretch you skin taught, and just slide the razor at a low angle across your skin it is surprisingly difficult to cut yourself.

One aspect of SR usage is that it is a very ‘green’ way to shave. No plastic and cream cans in the landfill, no butane into the air, etc. Once you have a SR, a hone, and a strop, all that you need is a soap, which can be bought in paper wrappers. The only waste is lather and stubble (and the soap wrapping paper).

Shaving with a SR can also be cheaper than with most modern methods, probably including DE. A $100 investment and you can shave for life with no expenses except soap and AS. B&B is a hobbyist forum for the most part, but there are are people that get into wet shaving to save money. I have a friend here in town that I helped get set up with a couple of razors and a Naniwa hone, (he has a strop too) and that’s pretty much it for him. He got interested in Filarmonica 14 razors and acquired a couple because he enjoys them but he didn’t have to in order to get a fine shave. I rarely hear from him about shaving although we get together from time to time and have lunch.

I also note that the OP is just guessing or speculating about things he does not have knowledge of, so I will offer him a shave-ready SR to try, no need to return it. Just PM me a mailing address @Quaznoid . You’ll need a strop, but any piece of fine grained CLEAN leather will work. You can lay it flat on the edge of a table, or you could have Tandy cut you a piece of cowhide for a hanging strop. Get two holes in the end for a cord loop.

Then you will know and not be speculating. Glad to help guide you through getting started and re-hone the razor when necessary. Then I will look forward to hearing about your experience, though I know that SR is not for everyone.

Steve

When I first started using a straight, I wasn't very good at it,
and I think that's why I got better shaves from a safety razor at that time.

In the 60's when I was a child, and
in the 70's when I was a young man,
I don't recall learning how to use a safety razor
as being a real thing.

Learning how to shave with a safety razor
was like learning how to put on a hat
(no actual learning curve, and I never heard of anybody wanting advice).

Last edited:
Top Bottom