What's new

Henson Ti +++ Razor – I am a fan!

I believe what you're referring to above is the Nitronic 60 insert attached to the top cap thread section...this is
what is used to ensure smooth thread interlocking.

The tungsten insert referred to in the video....the owner said its in the handle.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Can't quite follow. I believed the tungsten insert to cover the threads.

If there someplace else is a tungsten insert it is likely to balance the handle with the head. Tungsten is very heavy, more so than titanium.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
@Fiddler I read what an Australian razor enthusiast named Errol wrote in an Aussie forum:

"Titanium threaded on titanium has a likelihood to gall (picking up) so to alleviate this Henson have fitted a brass centre post to the cap. Henson’s current model Ti22 claims to have a stainless steel centre post, but the original is surely brass."

Well, seems it is now tungsten. Errol's insert caused problems, but he could fix it himself.

It is about galling, i.e. the threads picking up material and usually getting a whitish coating like mold. I will quote a bit from Wikipedia:
"... a material's resistance to galling is primarily determined by its stacking-fault energy. A material with high stacking-fault energy, such as aluminium or titanium, will be far more susceptible to galling than materials with low stacking-fault energy, like copper, bronze, or gold."

Now there is this thing. Dozens of Blackbirds, Timeless, Chisrled Face, or DSCosmetic or Boti titanium head on titanium handle simply ignore this, and so far nobody complained about galling.

Maybe it takes decades to happen, if at all.

@Rosseforp knows more about this and IIRC posted already some insights about this.
I tried watching the video, but the guy didn't seem to be well versed in actual machine shop terminology. His brothers might have let him sweep the floors, but that is about where his knowledge about complex manufacturing seems to end.
Tungsten is used when high heat is to be encountered. I could understand a lubrication coating on the threads, like is used on pistons, but tungsten?

But you asked about the galling issue. It happens when force is applied, and frankly, most of us don't have the strength to gall the threads on titanium razors.

I don't like the way titanium threads feel, so I pair them with bronze, not to prevent galling. If worried use a dab of Vick's Vapor Rub, that is what we used on our precision inspection pins. Pins that were ground to a tolerance of +.000000"/-.0000040" of an inch. That is a bit less than the half thousandth the guy in the video was blathering about.

~doug~

Revisited my Gen1 aluminum Henson+++ this morning for the first time in 8 months.

48hrs growth, first use 7 O'clock yellow, WhatThePuck blue soap applied with a RR Bruce brush. Far and away the best shave I have ever achieved with this razor, and I credit my RR German 37 for teaching me a low exposure razor "allows" more pressure.

I will be putting the H+++ back in the rotation.

So, it turns out the Tungsten insert I brought up earlier is actually called tungsten bushing and its the round
disc cut into the baseplate that cushions the handle and baseplate from friction while tightening the handle.

Maggard has a section on it on the AL product page:

"Tungsten thrust bushing: We have equipped our razor with a tungsten bushing which serves one purpose: to reduce friction while tightening the razor. This creates a smooth feel, with little torque required to clamp the blade in place. Tungsten has a very low coefficient of friction and is fairly hard, as well as being very corrosion resistant, so it serves well as a bushing in this application. Additionally, the reduced friction will result in less wear between the handle and the base plate."

Im still using a washer between handle and head...but not sure if it serves any purpose now.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
"Tungsten thrust bushing: We have equipped our razor with a tungsten bushing which serves one purpose: to reduce friction while tightening the razor. This creates a smooth feel, with little torque required to clamp the blade in place. Tungsten has a very low coefficient of friction and is fairly hard, as well as being very corrosion resistant, so it serves well as a bushing in this application. Additionally, the reduced friction will result in less wear between the handle and the base plate."
I can't help but think a Torrington Bearing would be a better fit for this application, and cheaper too.:crazy:

~doug~

Not sure why they offer ++++ only in titanium. Seems like steel would be more cost effective.
Market research and all the drooling over Ti on forums like this?

I'd try a s-s +++ at the right price in a heartbeat. We seem to be in the minority.

I seem to be either agnostic, or razor specific in my weight and balance preferences.

I'm liking a RR Ti Halo handle on my Gamechanger. So far, I've been fine with the full stock s-s Overlander.

Last night, I revisited my Al13 +, and I was fine with the light weight.

... Thom

Market research and all the drooling over Ti on forums like this?

I'd try a s-s +++ at the right price in a heartbeat. We seem to be in the minority.

I seem to be either agnostic, or razor specific in my weight and balance preferences.

I'm liking a RR Ti Halo handle on my Gamechanger. So far, I've been fine with the full stock s-s Overlander.

Last night, I revisited my Al13 +, and I was fine with the light weight.

... Thom
Yeah, it just seems really odd that they don’t even offer +++ in aluminum either. Seems like the profit margin for a titanium is a lot higher and they want to make it like a luxury razor. Based on reading other peoples experiences with that razor, I think the +++ would be the only one that would work for me.

I also like the titanium halo handle for razor rock if I bought another razor from them that’s what I pick

Yeah, it just seems really odd that they don’t even offer +++ in aluminum either. Seems like the profit margin for a titanium is a lot higher and they want to make it like a luxury razor. Based on reading other peoples experiences with that razor, I think the +++ would be the only one that would work for me.

I also like the titanium halo handle for razor rock if I bought another razor from them that’s what I pick
You can buy a +++ in aluminum, just not directly from Henson. Several of us have them.

You can buy a +++ in aluminum, just not directly from Henson. Several of us have them.
Yes, right. I bought AL13+++ locally. My seller have AL13+++ as last model on Henson list and always restock only couple peaces but they sell very fast und usually not available.
Question for Ti fans. Would you buy Ti again? Does upgrade from AL to Ti improve shaving?

Yes, right. I bought AL13+++ locally. My seller have AL13+++ as last model on Henson list and always restock only couple peaces but they sell very fast und usually not available.
Question for Ti fans. Would you buy Ti again? Does upgrade from AL to Ti improve shaving?
I’m a fan of the Ti only because of my irrational fear about the anodizing coming off the aluminum. To me the shaves are nearly identical and I may even prefer the aluminum just slightly. You are not missing anything in terms of how it shaves. Is it worth $200? Only you can decide

It's a good one! I shaved with it this morning!

Henson Razor First Use: October 14, 2021
"First ever Face and Head shave with the Henson AL 13 Mild. I had my doubts with the small blade gap but the results just blew me away! Ridiculously good!"

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 10/23/2023
Total shave with Henson Razors: 694
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson Mild = 326
Henson Medium = 103
Henson Aggressive= 266

Paul aka the self proclaimed Henson King

IMG_5590.jpg

I see the screenshots showing them as "aggressive", but I don't think aggressive=+++. They sell aggressive on their website.

Top Bottom